Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
g220ba
FGX XR8

Default New Boss for Ford Australia

It seems Marin Burela's moving to China and being replaced by the current CEO of Ford China.

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/10/...ord-australia/

Last edited by g220ba; 27-10-2010 at 06:19 PM.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Not good. Marin Burela was the best thing to happen to Ford Australia since Geoff Polites. He will be missed in Australia.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Another Boss ....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Beat me by this much
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
dylancox

Damn, I was expecting this to be about a new Boss motor, not a new manager..
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great, it will all be down hill from here..an Aussie boss was the best thing to happen to Ford Aus since Geoff, I can see all the future plans for Falcon slowly die..he won't understand the importance of the Falcon or the V8 Supercar program and dump them..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

And we are back on the downward spiral of the rollercoaster that is Ford Aus Management..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont see this as good news for Ford Australia
With Marin I think we finally had someone that was pasionate about what Ford was doing here, and not just using it as a stepping stone to go higher in the company
Old 27-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Not happy, Ford are doing poorly in China (compared to other brands) and now we get their boss. Another Gorman people!
Old 27-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sucks! Now I wonder how long till the falcon will be made in China with all the contacts this new guys has..
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...027-173ii.html

Quote:
New boss for Ford Australia
Toby Hagon
October 27, 2010 - 5:08PM

Ford Australia president is heading to China while incoming boss comes from what is now the world’s largest car market.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela has been seconded to China to head up the Changan Ford Mazda Automobile operations as part of a restructure of the brand’s operations in what is now the world’s largest car market.

He will be replaced on November 1 by former Ford China boss Robert Graziano, who is currently the chairman and CEO of Ford of China.

"I could not have picked a better successor to take over the journey we've started here over the last few years," he said, referring to an imminent influx of new models, various developments in local engineering and manufacturing, and the return of profitability.

Burela hinted his experience in Australia would remain with him with his latest move, although .

"You'll never have a bigger supporter in China and [Asia Pacific and Africa] than the person you're talking to," he said without going into details. "One thing you learn about our business ... you never say never to anything and you never know."

Burela has only been at the Ford Australia helm since September 2008, replacing the shortlived Bill Osborne and raising questions about the stability of management at the car maker.

Burela is adamant the strong global management of Ford - headed by former Boeing boss Alan Mulally - will cement the future of the Australian operations, now involved in developing a small car for China on the back of designing and engineering a ute for more than 180 markets.

Geelong-born Burela has helped bolster the brand’s local manufacturing future, confirming extended production of the ageing six-cylinder engine and various fuel saving technologies, such as an imminent four-cylinder engine for the Falcon and much needed turbo-diesel for the Territory SUV.

He also announced the Focus small car would be produced locally, before reversing the decision to focus on existing products.

Burela has also been working intensively within the new “One Ford” world, which is building cars for the global markets instead of individual markets.

He was involved in the production of the first truly global Ford, the Fiesta, which incoming Ford Australia president also had input in as vehicle line director of Ford’s small cars.

Burela has also been building a case for Ford Australia’s ongoing manufacturing future within a changing automotive landscape.

There has been much speculation about the long term future of the locally produced Falcon, which is designed, built and produced in Australia almost exclusively for Australians.

Ford’s global president Alan Mulally recently hinted the Falcon could continue as a rear-drive large car that would share components with other Fords to be sold in markets around the world.

More recently, visiting Asia-Pacific and Africa boss Joe Hinrichs – who is now the new boss of Ford China - said he was “committed” to the future of the Falcon.

“Bob [Graziano] and Marin [Burela] are excellent leaders who have unique skill-sets well-suited for the future requirements in Australia and at our joint venture in China,” said Hinrichs, saying there were aggressive growth plans for Ford in the region, with 70 per cent of the company’s growth expected from there in the next decade.

“We are proud to foster a culture of continuous improvement that provides opportunities for new and interesting challenges to help our managers grow and develop at every level.”

Burela says 2011 will be "an incredibly busy year for Ford Australia".

"85 per cent of our entire showroom will be new or updated for 2011. You’re going to start to see a very different and changing perspective … more product coming in from different parts of the world. You’re going to start to see some exciting things going on."

Largely due to the massive growth in vehicle sales in China, Ford’s regional sales are expected to grow from 16 million in 2009 to 35 million in 2018.

Burela has only one regret about leaving Australia: "I won't be able to watch the [Geelong] Cats win the next grand final," he said.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is NOT good news....

Only 2 years, should have been 3 or 4.

Also .... I'm told that FoA will be having a quite a few 'idle days' between now and year end.

These were not planned and are due to high inventory levels.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear. Its probably unfair to cast judgment on a guy before he's even taken the role, but if I were to have the luxury of speculation for a moment, I see this as a real danger to Ford Aus.

Local knowledge is critical here for Ford Aus. The Yanks have no idea of our market, and that's been proven in the past. As for this guy, OK he's managed the Chinese operations but I couldn't think of a market that is more poles apart than the Australian one. Labour costs, production techniques, environmental considerations, model designations, design and development mandates...all totally different.

To take a guy from a high volume, lower value, developing world production regime and plug him into a low volume, high cost, niche market situation as per Ford Aus, it'll err, be a challenge unless this dude is very adaptable. That's my 20c.

The revolving door of senior management is what has stuffed many a good Aussie company. They come in on a 3 year contract, wreak havoc, then leave a trail of destruction behind. Very few are true visionaries.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Biography for the new Chief (Robert Graziano):

Linky

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Burnout. His CV doesn't inspire me. Launched the Mercury Villager minivan hey? Let's break out the party pies and sausage rolls. Nuff said.

Notice his more recent appointments......Brazil, South America, China. All somewhat err (how do I put this nicely)....."challenging" geographies. Read that as a corporate troubleshooter......lean 'em down, shape 'em up and move onto the next one. Hmmm. I'm nervous.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is FORD Detroit ulterior motive?????
Old 27-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
HSE2

i feel ill
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia needs ONE person to commit for years...not a little toe in the water for a short while before departing.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Ford Australia needs ONE person to commit for years...not a little toe in the water for a short while before departing.
Agree, but good luck there mate. Standard term now is 3 year contract at best for CEO roles in major corporations. Usually just sufficient time to spend 18 months blaming the last guy, then the next 18 months further buggering the whole show up yourself, prior to moving onto some other poor unsuspecting corporation after collecting your golden handshake..............
Old 27-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Ford move people around all the time. Mind you moving a person for the sake of it isn't good. I bet Marin is going to China to fix up the mess over there. So much potential for Ford (Ford Australia Design) especially.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Highlights of tenure:

$29,990 Falcons XR6s,
cancellation of wagon,
cancellation of RTV,
cancellation of local Focus,
cancellation of global V6,
no pursuit of exports,
Falcon being outsold by Cruze.
Falcons being mass-registered monthly as demos to increase sales,
Crap "Ford of course" marketing campaign,
Woeful and gutless handling of Territory ball-joint problem.

To be fair, its not one persons decisions. Probably still one of the best people they have had in getting things done and done well. I doubt anyone could of done a better job under the circumstances. Its a shame an Aussie isnt at the head as they probably 'get' the market a lot more. It certainly sounds like a promotion as China is VERY important for Ford.

Probably a good time to leave as all the exciting stuff is done with EcoBoost, LPG and diesel Territory. Probably wanted the next challenge.

Last edited by Brazen; 27-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

As the old chinese proverb says :

"may you live in interesting times"

Strap yourselves in !!!!!!
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Highlights of tenure:

cancellation of RTV,

Ummmm.... No..

There was no FG RTV ... well before Burela.

Nice edit by the way That last paragraph wasn't there a minute ago.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #24
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

While I don't see the move as a good idea, I never held Marin in high regard.
IMO he wasn't that much of a standout.
No one since Geoff Polities has done anything worthwhile for Ford AU.

Last edited by Wretched; 27-10-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Highlights of tenure:

$29,990 Falcons XR6s,
cancellation of wagon,
cancellation of RTV,
no pursuit of exports,
Granted, but I'd add:

- XR6 should never have been called so as its a normal falcon with colour coded parts and different wheels. Its basically a fleet car, and probably priced accordingly.
- Wagon is a loss. Agree.
- Did anyone, ever, anywhere buy an RTV? I've seen more Bugatti Veyrons....
- Focus was a good car from what I can ascertain. Cancellation a pity.
- Ecoboost V6 vs our own I6. I'll take the latter thanks, and save several hundred local jobs in the process.
- Exports. Very tough market and many economic and engineering factors at play. Deserves its own thread really.
- Cruze? Whatever. Not even same segment.
- Registering demos. Yeah, an old industry trick that only fools some people, some of the time.
- Marketing. Always has been rubbish. Been consistent at least!
- Ball joint problem. Yep, poor design, badly handled.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Nice edit by the way That last paragraph wasn't there a minute ago.
Yeah I thought I was being a bit rough, probably a good guy who has done good things at Ford (we all know what they are) and I was just bitchin about some things I disagreed with.

Last edited by Brazen; 27-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Highlights of tenure:

$29,990 Falcons XR6s,
cancellation of wagon,
cancellation of RTV,
no pursuit of exports,

To be fair, its not one persons decisions. Probably still one of the best people they have had in getting things done and done well.
RTV was gone with Gorman and the Wagon was cut in 06 but survived, he saved the I6 and jobs in Geelong, should Focus have happened for the sake of it?, Rolla outsold the Falcon and Commodore as well...sky must be falling, Ford of course was better then fingers, the new campaign seems to do well, the awareness of Ford is very high so the advertising is fine, the demo thing happened for 2 months, Ford now warrant the ball joint issue post the warranty expiring so he handled it well, they also redesigned the front end to fix the problem.

He also has secured more design for Ford Australia, they also saved more of the casting plant for rotors that will be exported to other companies, he also got Ford Australia back into profit, and according to the other thread on here Ford's service has improved.

Also one of the biggest things he did was change peoples view on Ford and the Falcon, when he came in it was a lot of doom and gloom, now there are constant good news stories for Ford and there is more of a positive outlook even when certain journo's seem to push their agenda.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #28
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Being the head of Ford China is a pretty big promotion, the Chinese market is as big or bigger than the North American market isn't it? Congrats to Marin. As for Ford Australia, yes we are probably doomed as always
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #29
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Granted, but I'd add:

- XR6 should never have been called so as its a normal falcon with colour coded parts and different wheels. Its basically a fleet car, and probably priced accordingly.
Been like that since 2002 mate.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
zagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
What is FORD Detroit ulterior motive?????
Well wipe out all regional models and have 1 chassis that has 50 different models on top of it.

you know
jack of all trades... master of F all.

That pretty much what one ford means really.
zagan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post