Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Have you driven in NT?
Yes, but only at 130 due to new limit 6 3.95%
Yes, I lived there (or close to it) and drove above 110 when I could 9 5.92%
Yes, I went there to visit and drove above 110 when I could 28 18.42%
Yes I went there but only did 100-110 as faster than that is dangerous 0 0%
No, I have never been to NT but wish I had before the 130 96 63.16%
No, I would never go to NT, it is too dangerous with all the speeding maniacs on the road 1 0.66%
No, I never go more than 20km from a Macca's carparks 12 7.89%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I feel the need....the need for speed

One of my favorite subjects, speed limits and open zones, has become topical lately with a quite varied range of opinions some of which are quite strong.

I thought I would investigate as to who on here has actually driven in open zones and/or legally at speeds greater than 110km/h in Australia.

I would like to keep experiences in other countries out of this as the "they are better drivers than Australians" is then moot.

So......

Have you any personal experience in Australia on public roads legally driving at speeds above 110km/h?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90-100 in the old language is my preferred speed when travellling in the Pilbara and Kimberley region. Having driven there a lot I choose the locations to do so and never travel at night.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

As you know I drove the XR8 across from Karratha WA to Brisbane through the NT in the good old days of open speed limits.

Lets just say that on the stretches it was safe to do so it was nice sitting at a speed that allowed the roughly 200 km between towns to be covered in an hour, then have a half hour break and still make better time than sitting on 100 km/h. My fatigue levels traveling like that were much less, felt fresh as a daisy a the end of the day with just under 1500 km covered.

I felt guilty at first traveling at about 160 km/h until I got passed by a NT government Toyota Avolon that was doing 200 km/h. After that I pretty much just kept them in the distance (with lots of braking room) and cruised.

A seriously good way to travel with the quality of roads they had up there at the time. I have heard the roads have gone to the crapper since the 130 limit came in.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
90-100 in the old language is my preferred speed when travellling in the Pilbara and Kimberley region. Having driven there a lot I choose the locations to do so and never travel at night.
Agree, some of the roads up there are fantastic and can easily support that speed in a capable and well maintained car (not at night though, lots of giant furry, long tailed grass hoppers).
Old 25-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I've been working in the NT since a few months before the 130k/hr limit came in. My job involved travelling from Darwin to Katherine/Daly River etc fairly regularly and the open speed limit was useful - the roads are wide, straight and well surfaced and travelling at 150 versus travelling at 100 (limit everywhere else) meant I could get to and from meetings out of town without travelling at dusk or night and spending 3+ hours on the road after an already long day.

I'm now working in Alice Springs for a week or so each month, and regularly travel west to Yulara (Ayers Rock) and as far out as Docker River on the WA border. I'll admit that I regularly exceed the speed limit out in the back blocks (there's only a limit if it's enforced). Even an hour saved travelling a few clicks faster gets me back to Alice before fatigue really sets in or the roos/camels/emus come out.

That said, when I'm in Brisbane (home), I travel to the Sunshine Coast for work and also to visit the property, and you do NOT want a 130+k/hr limit on the Bruce Highway - The road is too bad and there is too much traffic. This could be fixed with a better, wider, better maintained road though.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
That said, when I'm in Brisbane (home), I travel to the Sunshine Coast for work and also to visit the property, and you do NOT want a 130+k/hr limit on the Bruce Highway - The road is too bad and there is too much traffic. This could be fixed with a better, wider, better maintained road though.
I agree, 130 on the Bruce Highway would be stupid...

I may or may not have done Cairns to T'ville at speeds over 130kph and it is pretty sketchy.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived in Darwin but i only usually drove at 100 KM/H in the summer because of the temp gauge. distance and fuel econ and tyres blowing out.

I would support 130 KM/H in the right hand lane on the Bruce Highway and on the Gold coast it should be mandatory.
It may eventually wake up all the dills that plod around wondering all over the place like Browns cows.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
kinksta
Luxojet

Dad pulled out a good one yesterday, in his day it was popular to "do the ton" which he did in a Hemi Pacer hahaha

(That is to hit 100MPH)
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think 110k's is enough for the Bruce, was coming back just before Wild Horse Mountain (where the two Mobile's are either side of the highway) and in the left lane the road was so deformed I thought my wheel was going to fall off.

Never been to the NT however would have loved to just to experience what it was like.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I've been working in the NT since a few months before the 130k/hr limit came in. My job involved travelling from Darwin to Katherine/Daly River etc fairly regularly and the open speed limit was useful - the roads are wide, straight and well surfaced and travelling at 150 versus travelling at 100 (limit everywhere else) meant I could get to and from meetings out of town without travelling at dusk or night and spending 3+ hours on the road after an already long day.

I'm now working in Alice Springs for a week or so each month, and regularly travel west to Yulara (Ayers Rock) and as far out as Docker River on the WA border. I'll admit that I regularly exceed the speed limit out in the back blocks (there's only a limit if it's enforced). Even an hour saved travelling a few clicks faster gets me back to Alice before fatigue really sets in or the roos/camels/emus come out.

Some days the Bruce north of Brisbane struggles to reach speeds 60-70kph~ that said you do see some idiots around the 130kph mark
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then they get lovely photos of there cars in the mail with a nice fine

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Some days the Bruce north of Brisbane struggles to reach speeds 60-70kph~ that said you do see some idiots around the 130kph mark
Nambour to Cooroy is the go-fast bit, I used to do it regularly and have seen more than a few "111 and a bit".
Once you get to Nambour going south you get to the "loony zone" with all the stupid intersections where all the accidents happen and from Caboolture south you get the "Bribie turnoff slightly mobile parking lot".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Nambour to Cooroy is the go-fast bit, I used to do it regularly and have seen more than a few "111 and a bit".
Once you get to Nambour going south you get to the "loony zone" with all the stupid intersections where all the accidents happen and from Caboolture south you get the "Bribie turnoff slightly mobile parking lot."
shouldnt laugh its true
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Nope, haven't driven to NT.
That said, I have driven many a time in the USA to cover great distances in a short amount of time. Concentration wise it is the safest way to travel. I remember a very straight and long back highway in texas where I set the cruise control on a heavily laden towncar to 117mph. Had 280 miles to cover and did it in around 2 and a half hours. It was a fantastic experience, you literally get into another level of concentration, similar to your "game face" when on approach and landing. Your mental faculties are all working together in harmony, and the niggly little issues of day to day life are melted away. Unfortunately though, many people aren't well trained and don't appreciate the gravity of travelling at such speeds and the resultant injuries/death should they come to grief at such a speed. It's these people we're forced to make allowances for.
Further, any number of mitigating factors prevent many drivers from doing such speeds such as eyesight, fatigue, spatial awareness, vehicle condition, tyre condition, etc. Unfortunately we will never have open speed limits again whilst Nanny governments are in power.

Quote: