Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Flash to pass
I use it (or have used it) 6 25.00%
I've Heard of it but never used it 3 12.50%
Never heard of it 8 33.33%
I think it's illegal, but unsure 4 16.67%
Flashing headlights isn't enough! 2 8.33%
It should be used/taught more 10 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Flash to pass

When I was much younger learning to drive, I was taught to flash a car (with my headlights) from behind if I wanted them to move over (into the lane beside them) as this was more curtious then leaning on the horn.

Today, I was driving home in the rain and got stuck behind someone doing 60 in an 80 zone sitting in the right lane. I know the road, and there wasn't a right turn for at least 5 k's so rather then zooming up the left side of them, I just gave them a quick flash of the headlights which they responded to by giving me the bird! So I ended up having to duck up beside them and pass them on the left ... and I made sure I gave her a curtious bird in return.

My question is: Does anyone still use Flash to Pass, or have you even heard of it? And given todays crackdown on stupid laws, is it even legal?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do and the horn but not the bird.
No one should have to over take on the left.
With the bird it could get out of hand
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Always use it, believe everyone should use it.
Unfortunately some people think it's rude or something (yep, the same people who are doing 9 under the limit in the right lane).
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Scott

I do it when someone is hogging the right lane or when I think someone doesn't know I am about to overtake them.

I have found that flashing the lights is more common in Melbourne than anywhere else.

When I do it, I do it to alert people of my presence, not to be rude.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I think it's fine to give someone a flash if they are under the speed limit in the right lane, but think it's rude to do it to someone who is doing the speed limit.

The right lane isn't the speeding lane, i've been in a number of situations where i've been flashed or tailgated for doing the speed limit in the right hand lane. I usually take my foot of the accelerator and drop to a slower speed to **** them off and make them go around.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
The right lane isn't the speeding lane, i've been in a number of situations where i've been flashed or tailgated for doing the speed limit in the right hand lane. I usually take my foot of the accelerator and drop to a slower speed to **** them off and make them go around.
Why don't you just obey the road rules and get out of the right lane unless you are overtaking?

It is you that I dislike most on our hwys.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
BFZF8

Always use it but no-one knows what it means. Obviously this means it should be taught more.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Why don't you just obey the road rules and get out of the right lane unless you are overtaking?

It is you that I dislike most on our hwys.
And it is you who is forced to go around me.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I think it's fine to give someone a flash if they are under the speed limit in the right lane, but think it's rude to do it to someone who is doing the speed limit.

I put it to you that drivers such as your good self are one of the main causes of road rage. The right lane is not for cruising along at the speed limit. Keep left unless overtaking.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
CODSASR

I thaught it was illigeal otherwise I would have been using it. And I hate people on hwy's who just sit in the right lane it is the overtaking lane ONLY.

the other day I was on my way up the calder to go to bendigo and I had some idiot P plater in the right lane so I went to over take him in the left and he moved over on me so had to go back to the right and noticed he went to move back I ended up floring it to get passed before I was caught up in a accident.

There are some nuffies out there

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Generally the headlights flash to warn on coming traffic of a speed camera
I know someone who was fined for doin this

I dont think its common pratice,because it could be a fineable offence
(Could be wrong, do tell)

To many issues to contend with regarding some previous replies
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

People staying in the right lane frustrates me the most out of everything on the road by a mile. I also absolutly hate it when two cars are side by side doing 5+ under the limt, and stay like that for ages. They don't overtake each other, not even the slightest change of overlaps, they are dead set neck and neck. I really really hate that.
Do they not understand what 'keep left unless overtaking' means? It means keep left unless overtaking.
Do they do it on purpose? Are they so ignorant as to what is happening around them?

On topic though, I've never heard of flashing when wanting to pass as a gesture of good. From what I thought about it, it was like someone said 'get out of the way you slow dh'.
If it was seen as coutious or people just stayed in the left, the road would be much more enjoyable.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I do it when someone is hogging the right lane or when I think someone doesn't know I am about to overtake them.

I have found that flashing the lights is more common in Melbourne than anywhere else.

When I do it, I do it to alert people of my presence, not to be rude.

Unfortunately its rude in Oz to do this but holding people up and causing a a dangerous situation on the road is perfectly acceptable....oh wait as long as your under the limit the world will not come to an end.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
If it was seen as coutious or people just stayed in the left, the road would be much more enjoyable.
The thing is, staying in the right lane is actually illegal but is never enforced. Police are too busy pinging criminals for going 2-3 ks ph over the speed limit.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
kinksta
Luxojet

It's illegal. But I didn't have the choice to say that I actually know that, so at the moment I'm unsure...

Annoying thing is there is the unwritten rule book of road courtesy and initiative and then there are laws. Plenty of these overlap...
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
And it is you who is forced to go around me.
Are you serious????

Who are you to dictate to other drivers what is right and wrong.

By you being in the right lane, even at the limit, it is YOU who is breaking the law by not moving to the left.

The keep left rule only applies above a certain limit (80 or 90 in NSW).

It's one of my pet hates on the road, people who play the cop thinking it's their job to enforce the law on everyone else.......
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Are you serious????

Who are you to dictate to other drivers what is right and wrong.

By you being in the right lane, even at the limit, it is YOU who is breaking the law by not moving to the left.

The keep left rule only applies above a certain limit (80 or 90 in NSW).

It's one of my pet hates on the road, people who play the cop thinking it's their job to enforce the law on everyone else.......
Can you please stop enforcing the law on XR, thank you...
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never heard of it. I flash to warn of speed cameras for oncoming traffic but that's about it. I too don't like it when people stay in the right hand lane. Normally just sit behind them (at an acceptable spacing) until they move. That or overtake in the left lane.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Hogging the right lane is frowned on, so is speeding, so is flashing your lights, so we're all in the wrong here. Done.
Closed Thread