Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who do you notify when

who do you notify when some numbnuts dumps a substantial quantity of gravel ontop the road surface in an 80 kmh zone, that also is (or is very close to) a 40 kmh school zone, I didnt see the grtavel get dropped but I ran into/over it at about 45 kmh was slowing for the school zone and needless to say the gravel made the attempt to slow down interesting to say the least, now this is in Victoria and there was no signs indicating a hazard or workmen doing roadworks, just a heap of gravel conveniently placed to ruin motorists' day courtesy of some inconsiderate clown, I felt the urge to notify authorities but didn't know who, I telephoned the police and told them of it and told them I didn't know who else to call and that I understand that strictly its not their thing, the officer told me he would dispatch a unit to survey the scene and take action if required. Were the police the right people to call?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

If you dont who else to call, yeah why not?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
b055m4n

at least you reported it ,well done!!
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Busters!!
Old 30-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the correct people to call would be the local council but then not sure about after hours. The police are probably the correct ones as they can see if it is a serious hazard and get action happening so they aren't then having to deal with a crash scene because of it all.

Well done in reporting it as so many others wouldn't bother
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it presents a very dangerous road hazzard then the police are the correct people to call.

They would then call on the council to come clean it up....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done, i hate that ****!
Old 30-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its like when big trucks carrying escavators out of dirt filled sites and drag big chunks of mud on to the road, they should have to bloody clean it up or the should be fined for littering!
Old 30-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. On the back of Vic rego labels is a phone number for vic roads road hazard hotline, I called it once re an oil spill on a main road and the response was almost instant with a crew on site in about 10 minutes. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
who do you notify when some numbnuts dumps a substantial quantity of gravel ontop the road surface in an 80 kmh zone, that also is (or is very close to) a 40 kmh school zone, I didnt see the grtavel get dropped but I ran into/over it at about 45 kmh was slowing for the school zone and needless to say the gravel made the attempt to slow down interesting to say the least, now this is in Victoria and there was no signs indicating a hazard or workmen doing roadworks, just a heap of gravel conveniently placed to ruin motorists' day courtesy of some inconsiderate clown, I felt the urge to notify authorities but didn't know who, I telephoned the police and told them of it and told them I didn't know who else to call and that I understand that strictly its not their thing, the officer told me he would dispatch a unit to survey the scene and take action if required. Were the police the right people to call?
The answer to your question depends on the road. If it was a major road, it will be Vicroads responsibility.... if not, the council. It's hard to tell sometimes whose is whose, but basically speaking if you look in the Melways roads coloured black and green are vicroads.... everything else, council.

If it's a major hazard likely to cause an accident, the Police are probably the best to call.... they'll get someone out there if they have a unit free to slow things in the interim and will know categorically who to notify out of vicroads and council & be able to get it done with minimum fuss. It also has the added bonus that you wont be stuck on hold on the phone for something that really, isn't your problem..... ever tried ringing Vicroads or your Council lately? YAWN!
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Won't take much for a motorcyclist to come to greif on the gravel.

Well done for taking some action.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in Hervey Bay we have a sand and gravel/concrete plant right on the corner of a roundabout and many a rider has gone guts up on the crap the trucks leave on corner right where you lean as you come onto roundabout.ive rang council a few times when ive seen it but nothing ever happens.
Great fun having to watch everywhere for MARAUDING RETIREES, let alone sand and gravel on the main road into the bay
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Kinda the same, but anyone up on the northside of Brisbane been down Samford Road at Mitchelton at the end of the week. The idiots have stripped the road overnight of the tarmac and left a rutted track as a main road. Drains are about 2inches above the surface, and huge pot holes with gravel everywhere. However give them their due, they removed the 40kph signs during the day.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
Here in Hervey Bay we have a sand and gravel/concrete plant right on the corner of a roundabout and many a rider has gone guts up on the crap the trucks leave on corner right where you lean as you come onto roundabout.ive rang council a few times when ive seen it but nothing ever happens.
Great fun having to watch everywhere for MARAUDING RETIREES, let alone sand and gravel on the main road into the bay
That acually carries a $2000 fine. (At least in Brisbane) Chances are everytime you complain, they get fined. Go to town.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLS1
its like when big trucks carrying escavators out of dirt filled sites and drag big chunks of mud on to the road, they should have to bloody clean it up or the should be fined for littering!
Don't think putting dirt on the ground is littering.
But anyway they should have to clean it off the road. I know many coal mines have vehicle wash down sections that you can clean any large amounts of dirt or mud off the vehicle before getting back on a public road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post