Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Peugeot 206 CC .. A good car? Or not?

Hi everyone,
My sister is dead set on buying a convertible that isn't a Ford

The best one I can find with a budget of $12,500 is a Peugeot 206 CC (2003 models).. now I've heard they're hard to work on, but other then new car reviews I can't find much about them. Could anyone here please give their opinion, bias aside please (remembering alternatives are Holden Astra, Renault's etc.. lol)

Or if anyone would suggest something better (must be hard top, mustn't be ancient, doesn't need power, must be available in auto)

Thanks

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

My partners 206 has been virtually trouble free..
Few squeaks from the front end (which I promised to look at this weekend)..

Manual gear shifter has got a bit of play, but it's done 200K now..(again, will have a look)

Also, the clutch went on it at 180K, but, only the pressure plate (diaphram springs) let go, the friction plate was good for at least another 50-75K..
Over all, I'm going to give it a thumbs up.. !

It's a fun little car to drive too... but shhhhh I didn't say that..

Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peugeots are fun cars to drive. They are designed for European conditions so are designed to stick to the road. I have a 307 Wagon and it is a great car.
The 206CC might suck a bit though as the back seats are useless unless the driver and front passenger are midgets, but I think that is an issue with most of the CC cars out there. (This is based on me checking out a 207CC at the dealer whilst waiting for the 307 to get serviced. The 206 might be different)
The 206 is like most Peugeot cars of it's age. Prone to a few electric gremlins here and there, but apart from that, it would be a good, reliable car if it has been maintained properly.
If you're looking for more information on Peugeot or French cars in general, check out Aussie Frogs
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

My daughter is after the same type of car, we have been looking at the 206 and 307 models. Was going to post the same question on here as well..............She is after an auto thou. The 206's are 1.6litre and the 307's are 2.0 litre and I think are a little bit bigger overall............other than that I don't know much about them either.............
Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
David222
Starting out with the V8

Default Pug 206's

I have owned a 206 GTi (2000 model) and a 206 GTi180 (2004 model), about 7 years in total and did a lot of kilometres in them.

The GTi was 2.0L about 135KW and had excellent down low torque especially for a small car with no turbo. The GTI180 was the same engine with better heads and variable valve timing for 180kw, it revved harder made a lot more top end power but that came at the expense of the low down torque and the incredible drivability of the 135kw edition. It was geared to suit the peaky output with a close ratio box that was brilliant for a spirited drive but at highway speeds was always spinning very fast because of it.

I believe the CC was available with the 2.0L engine from the GTi (130KW) or the 1.6L from the standard 206 range. For a daily driver the 2.0L is the pick of the engines and is about as flexible as small car engines get. If you're going Auto I think the extra grunt would make it well worth while, but I can't remember if it was an option with the Auto or not. So look for a 2.0L CC and I doubt you will be disappointed.

As will all cars If properly maintained they are good reliable cars, most common problems I had were related to poor quality fuel, Premium unleaded is a must, and availability of premium unleaded is much better now than it was in 2000 especially in rural areas even if it is more expensive than it was then.

With any car this age though your major concerns will be the Auto, and any electrical gremlins which can be hard and expensive to fix. I however doubt Peugeots are any worse or better when it comes to troubleshooting and repairing these sorts of things than most other Europeans in this class though. I never had any major delays with parts availability, and for most of the common models I don't believe this is a huge issue.

One tip though if you're buying one with factory mags look for mags with removable centre caps. As often the factory 4 stud mag wheels don't have a removable centre cap. So when it comes time for new tires or if you damage one and need a repair in a hurry, your options can be very limited as to who balances the wheels as not to many tire services have a machine which can balance a 4 stud rim without a removable centre cap, and if they do they often don't like putting the adapters on for 1 wheel, especially when they are busy. I found I had to drive to Newcastle or Tamworth which I can assure you when you live roughly in the in the middle of those two it can make getting a wheel balanced quiet an ordeal!

That's just my thoughts for what they are worth.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

180kW 206 gti ? That would be some car .. It is more like 180hp.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
dannyxm
was danny888

An ex of mine had one. had it since new, no issues at all and she did a ton of miles in it.

But please put in premium unleaded in it and service it at regular intervals.

The back seat is useless, but therein lies a good thing - her friends will most likely not bug her all the time to give them lifts as they cannot fit!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
David222
Starting out with the V8

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
180kW 206 gti ? That would be some car .. It is more like 180hp.
your right 135HP GTi and 180HP respectively. My Stuff up.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck on her not getting a Ford, and 206 aint to bad, oh and had to change the wypers on one today, good luck with that!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright good, sounds like it's probably the way to go.

My brother went and inspected one for her tonight, in Sydney. He said he noticed the automatic seemed not as smooth as his 95 EF with 187,000 k's, reckon this is normal? Or does every1 here drive the manual one (the way things should be driven )

Also, I attached a video of the engine sound, he described it as sounding a bit (diesel like), and it's hard having never heard one before, knowing whats normal.
Also a tiny bit of oil was leaking out of the tappet cover (was also mentioned in last service, but not fixed).

LINK TO VIDEO: http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/v...rent=206CC.mp4

Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Bad luck on her not getting a Ford, and 206 aint to bad, oh and had to change the wypers on one today, good luck with that!
Really easy to do. It's just the cost of them, that's all. I.e. Genuine Peugeot blades for the 307 is ~ $120 for the front pair. Needless to say, I've found an alternative for less than half that price.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
My brother went and inspected one for her tonight, in Sydney. He said he noticed the automatic seemed not as smooth as his 95 EF with 187,000 k's, reckon this is normal? Or does every1 here drive the manual one (the way things should be driven )
I've driven a couple of 206's (petrol) as loan cars, and I absolutely hate the automatics in them. I believe they learn your driving style and adapt as such, cause they seem to change at the weirdest of times and not very smooth either. Check out the Aussie Frogs web site and ask around there about it.

E.g. This thread mentions the engine sounding a bit agricultural and also has comments on the auto. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76105

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 10-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Really easy to do. It's just the cost of them, that's all. I.e. Genuine Peugeot blades for the 307 is ~ $120 for the front pair. Needless to say, I've found an alternative for less than half that price.
Yeah i was replacing the rubber in the blades. They have a strange design, also not helped by the fact someone has clamped the metal attachment to tight.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The CC tend to creak around the windows with the roof up. Thats about it. Trim can get abit tatty and cheap looking, and the seat bolsters have a habit of collapsing but mechanically never seen one with much trouble. The carpets are crap to vacuum aswell and hold on tight to dirt, sand and grass.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Guys you'd think I was biased, but the 206 is a great car. look I've had no issues with my Frenchie at all and its 4 years old nearly now. I'd reccommend it.

David222 Kudos on the GTi 180. Love the look of them, But the 182Cup is more of a cracker to drive :P

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
creative
I am Batman

had one for a week back in the uk.

absolutely hated it. plastic, uninspiring drive, squeaked, rattled and rolled! Was glad to give it back and wouldn't touch one with anyone elses barge pole!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Good cars, ideal ladies car...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
had one for a week back in the uk.

absolutely hated it. plastic, uninspiring drive, squeaked, rattled and rolled! Was glad to give it back and wouldn't touch one with anyone elses barge pole!
On the other side of the equation, we leased a 206 XT hatch in Europe for 5 weeks back in 2005. It was the 1.4L Turbo Diesel model that wasn't available here in Australia. It was a great car to drive. Held to the road nicely at 170km/h on the German Autobahn and it's the reason we bought the 307 when we got home and needed to acquire a second car.
Old 15-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-202140796 Picked this up at the Auctions today for $5000.00 for the daughter. The bum needs a little fixing but low ks and a manual
Old 15-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-202140796 Picked this up at the Auctions today for $5000.00 for the daughter. The bum needs a little fixing but low ks and a manual
Wow nice pick up!!

Old 29-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Got it on the road for $10,000 all up. Needed a rear quarter, beaver panel and bumper. Daughter absolutely loves it, extremely economical to....