Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Default EBC brake rotors

Has anybody heard anything about them??.

My local stocks them rather than dba and they're a lot cheaper than the dba rotors.
I do know they are the same mob that make the "green stuff" brake pads which i've heard alot of guys rave about.

Bursons quoted me $151 Each, front and rear, for the DBA standard slotted. Total= $604

Blacktown Auto-pro quoted me $195 for the front pair and $185 for the rear pair in the slotted rotors. Total= $380.

That's a huge difference, but i don't want to get them only to find out the hard way they're rubbish.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Has anybody heard anything about them??.

My local stocks them rather than dba and they're a lot cheaper than the dba rotors.
I do know they are the same mob that make the "green stuff" brake pads which i've heard alot of guys rave about.

Bursons quoted me $151 Each, front and rear, for the DBA standard slotted. Total= $604

Blacktown Auto-pro quoted me $195 for the front pair and $185 for the rear pair in the slotted rotors. Total= $380.

That's a huge difference, but i don't want to get them only to find out the hard way they're rubbish.
From a place here in melbourne I got quoted for my LR Focus Greenstuff pads $200 for a pair and $200 for a pair of RDA slotted rotors.

I think melbzetec has the RDA rotors on his car as well as the Greenstuff brake pads.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Tj-zetec

well I'll give em a go. I just hadn't heard of em, that's all.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

A number of brake place recommended RDA over DBA rotors to me. I've been very happy with them
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Tj-zetec

i ordered the greenstuff pads too today.
$130 something for the rears and $140 for the fronts.

I think i did pretty well. I got a complete set of RDA rotors and pads for less than a set of DBA rotors.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
melbzetec

TJ, are you coming to Small Ford Sunday? Would love to see your car
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Tj-zetec

when and where is that?.

My car ain't nothin flash. Infact it's filthy dirty and in need of a buff. damn hot weather and water restrictions.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
melbzetec

February 3rd in Bundoora TJ.

Biggest Small Ford Day of the year. Great chance to meet lots of other Fiesta and Focus owners

see these links:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11203319

http://www.rsocvic.com/

Old 15-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Tj-zetec

I'm afraid i'll have to pass on that one mate. that's the weekend after i get back from OS, that and it's a bit of a hike.

I got the parts today so i'm gonna have a bash at getting them in.
Now what's all this i hear about the pistons in the calipers screwing in??

Old 15-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Tj-zetec

**UPDATE**

AWW CRAP!!! They sent me the wrong brake pads. Sent me pads for a focus C-MAX, I didn't think they brought those out here. The right ones (i hope) will be here tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Damnit, i was really looking foward to working on the car today.

Old 15-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
BlackLS
yum

The rear caliper pistons need to be rotated back into the caliper. The fronts are just your normal type that you use a caliper pusher or G-clamp. As per normal watch your fluid resevouir with every piston movement, do only 1 corner at a time.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Tj-zetec

cool, so do you wind them all the way back? and once the new ones are in do you just gently pump the pedal back up?. it worked for the one on the front i pulled out this morning.

Old 15-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

So you should only have one wheel off at a time right. Stops resevouir overflowing and also prevents a caliper from closing the brake pads on itself, which would probably need a piston rebuild worst case scenario.

Once you have a corner's new pads in and everything is bolted up yes pump the brake pedal until it goes hard. This should bring the resevoir level back down to normal. Remember also when you start the car pump the brakes then as well and double check they work.

Remember to bed the pads in on your first drive. It changes depending on brand but here are some. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Old 15-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Tj-zetec

cool, thanks.

Old 16-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Tj-zetec

okay, parts came in today and i've busily sweating my off in the garage.

Fronts are done, but the rears are giving me grief.
I can't get the caliper to open up enough to get it OFF the rotor. my old rotors are well worn and have a 2-3mm lip on the outer edge. i need to open the caliper just enough to slide it off the rotor.
I did this on the fronts by gently prying it open with a really big screw driver but that's not working on the rears.

i really want to get this done today because i go on holiday tomorrow.

*edit* mighta figured it out...... stay tuned sports fans....

Last edited by Tj-zetec; 16-01-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

How did you go?

The stock rotors are garbage. They barely last 50,000ks, and should have been machined at 25000. Aftermarket rotors FTW

Old 26-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Tj-zetec

Alright. I'm back.

No i didn't spend all week in the garage trying to figure this out, i just got back from holidays.

I got them in at the last minute, it was raining HEAVILY, my house was blacked out and it was still about 35 deg in the shed but i got them done.

The fronts were astonishingly easy. had em knocked over in about 30 mins.

The rear calipers had me stumped. I figured out eventually that i had to take 4 bolts out, not just the top two. Needless to day, i felt a bit stupid after i realised.

Screwing the piston in was confusing too. i ended up taking the caliper out, and put it in the vice and used the handle on a big screwdriver to push on it while i screwed it in.
Had to bleed the brakes but that was no biggie.

Oh and after the stuff up with the wrong pads, the bloke at the shop gave me greenstuff pads for the front and redstuff pads for the rear, and only charged me for the greens.

The results are great!. The car brakes so much better, much more confidently. There always feels like there's more brake power there.
They're squeaking a little on very light braking but they are still bedding in.

Next project; New stereo!.
I scored some good speakers and a small amp of the little lady's dad so i'm gonna have a bash at that.
Research Ahoy!!