Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #31
robbyj
Rob

Does different brands of tranny fluid matter? i dont know whats in there
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I wouldn't be mixing different tranny fluids together. If you do it, you might as well so a full service and flush of the trans and put fresh oil in.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #33
robbyj
Rob

Yea. Might have to do that.
and yea when i say brands i meant different types.
Thanks again shav
Old 17-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #34
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Man ..shift kits are ok but turning up the s5 solenoid is the better way. It needs a star type screw bit and turn that puppy clockwise. S5 solenoid is the heart of our transmissions and way overlooked until its too late.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #35
robbyj
Rob

Wouldn't turning the S5 up tho stress the transmission more over time..
where as with the shift kit you can turn it off..
Old 17-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #36
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I found the shift kits stuff the tranny faster personally. I just like the idea of the s5 being adjustable as intended .. But yes if we want more performance things will not last as long. In saying that I ran a shift kit which chirped my wagon sideways but it didnt help when the rear extension housing gasket blew and the tail shaft came loose...lol

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #37
Rfordsfun

Default Re: Shift Kit or S5 wind up

Hi also bought SK dual kit, do I need separate trans cooler? Read somewhere it was required in a different model? Waiting for them to post! Yawn over 24 hours still no email, sitting on their asses! You tube 13s for $1300 did a vid to make a jay car shift kit $25. Au wire diagram on a write up link on the purchase link.
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #38
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Go the shift kit (2 stage or variable) as you can turn it off for the 80% of the time you are just cruising.
And your diff will thank you.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #39
Rfordsfun

i got the 3.45 ford fairmont single spin but have an 2001 lsd 3.45 with axles to go in, so dc in the traction control is if bothered required,' already replaced engine trans etc etc. previously only driven toranas or zx6r 2000. lol ford cost a mint, just money money money.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #40
Lajon

Careful, i had a so-called shift kit installed.. felt great, nice big clunk when i shifted etc..... when i had my auto repaired the guy found that a solenoid from a crappydore had been put in... guy had to place about 6 metal shunts to tighten the bands enough to be smooth again.. said that it wouldn't have lasted much longer and then i would've had to have a complete transmission rebuild
Lajon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #41
veqlargh

Do these shift kits only work in D, or do they firm up all shifts ie; would will it work if i put trans in 1,2,3.

Was looking around their website and found this: http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.ph...products_id=45

Can the two things work in conjunction with each other?
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #42
Rfordsfun

I was told they will cook your trans, IMO you would either need one or the other? I'll post after I've fitted mine, I order Wednesday told twice it would be posted still waiting fit it this week will post ASAP.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

just go with the adjustable dial shift kit. Best bang for buck in my opinion. Plus its good to be able to switch it off in peak hour traffic. Had this in my AU and it just kept the line pressures up well when pushing the car in a traffic light duel. I could turn the dial to suit a light pressure or up for more heavier shifts depending on conditions. Then flick it off when I wasn't having fun.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #44
shazaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
just go with the adjustable dial shift kit. Best bang for buck in my opinion. Plus its good to be able to switch it off in peak hour traffic. Had this in my AU and it just kept the line pressures up well when pushing the car in a traffic light duel. I could turn the dial to suit a light pressure or up for more heavier shifts depending on conditions. Then flick it off when I wasn't having fun.
I was thinking of one of these for my xr8. I assume the increased line pressure also quickens the shift when down shifting manually?
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #45
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Just out of interest, who would like an electronic shift kit that firms up according to throttle position?

Eg: when cruising it runs stock pressure and then progressively gets firmer (to a pre set limit) as you accelerate.
That would then use stock pressure on automatic downshifts with no clunks.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #46
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazaam View Post
I was thinking of one of these for my xr8. I assume the increased line pressure also quickens the shift when down shifting manually?
it does. Works in up and down shifts. Just be sure its not under too higher speed in the wet. Have had the car lock up on me a few times if the brakes arent applied in conjunction with the shifts down.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #47
robbyj
Rob

4 year old thread mine,
I went the adjustable kit, but rarely use it these days.

Only have it turned between half and 3 quarters, i found on the track (winton) the downshifts were way too harsh with it turned fully up.

Had a tranny cooler fitted as well.

The kit itself is easy to wire up, copied your placement for the switch aswell shav, neat spot.

All in all it is worth the $125 or whatever it was to make an auto a little more interesting.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #48
Rfordsfun

What's the best way to fit trans cooler? Solo and plug main radiator oil wells, or tap new cooler on return pipe, so is cooled via main and receives cooling via smaller unit before returning to trans? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Old 26-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #49
Rfordsfun

received and fitted my dual shift kit today works good, recommended havent kicked it around yet just tested, my soldering is below par, lol fitted the on/off switch in a pre existing hole under my drivers seat frame. Au2 fairmont ghia. So it faces foot well, nice. fit hi/low else where. Would suggest an adjustable version, just to firm it up without a jolt, but, glad ive done it sloppy trans, only done 60,k km
This user likes this post: