Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Headlights on in the daytime
Yes 66 45.83%
No 78 54.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Headlights

Ever since i have been driving i have always drivin with my headlights on daylight night time whenever.
Ok after all the threads about foglights, spotlights, lighthouse's and DRL's this one is simple do you drive with your headlights on in the day time?

THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FOGLIGHTS ITS THAT SIMPLE.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Bright clear sunny days, no. Unless I'm on the highway - highway trips they're always on regardless.

Cloudy/overcast day - depending how dull the light is, I will tend to put them on just to aid my car being seen by others.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

If it is very Overcast and or Raining, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voted no. Maybe it is proven to be safer to have them on but find it pointless. In the middle of daylight If you can't see another car because they don't have their headlights on time for a visit to the optometrist
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted yes for this and as far as I am concerned it should be law. I spend a lot of time on the road
and have done for a number of years and anyone who says it makes no difference is kidding themselves.
You can see an on coming car long before if it's lights are particularly if it is a silver or grey coloured car.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Yep, clear sunny 30 degree day they're still on.
Dark Green tends to blend in with trees.
But I do it in what ever car I am driving, I just believe it is just safer.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
I voted yes for this and as far as I am concerned it should be law. I spend a lot of time on the road
and have done for a number of years and anyone who says it makes no difference is kidding themselves.
You can see an on coming car long before if it's lights are particularly if it is a silver or grey coloured car.
Agree John it should be law but i think it will just cause trouble, maybe every new car made should have a feature where as soon as the car is on the lights turn on like and auto function that cant be turned off (eliminate the headlight switch even) I miss the auto headlight function in my old AU.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Like i said in the other thread
I always drive with em on, but not cause of safety, its just when an XC has its lights on, it looks mean as hell and like its alive (Y)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Car in bad weather, yes. On the bike, always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Voted no. Maybe it is proven to be safer to have them on but find it pointless. In the middle of daylight If you can't see another car because they don't have their headlights on time for a visit to the optometrist
Yeah, but you dont see your own headlights. The only person you choose for is you. Its for the guy who doesnt want to see/doesnt think he needs to see, the optometrist, so he has a slightly better chance of seeing you.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On both the TE and the Ghia I never actually turn the headlight switch off, I am surprised that the new toy doesn't
have auto lights off Dallas. Thought that would have been a standard feature on most cars these days.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

As a courier ... I do ... regardless.

I have found that some people catch the glimpse of headlights in their mirror before just swapping a lane. It can make a difference.

Also in and out of loading docks as well ... saves switching lights on and off all of the time. Makes it easier for me.

I guess it is one reason why Telstra have the auto headlights on feature that is hard-wired in from factory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I guess it is one reason why Telstra have the auto headlights on feature that is hard-wired in from factory.
I was aware of that, i think its a great idea.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

I always drive with headlights on. Its just the way I was taught.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Headlights are on all the time, used to drive without them on but people do see you coming a lot sooner if you have them on.

I used to notice people a lot who had their headlights on and think "what idiots, it's the middle of the day"... then one day I realised I had noticed every car with them ON, and hadn't given any of the cars with them OFF a second thought.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

What about the other motorist that has pushed it a bit too long since their last refraction or perhaps their eyes have started deteriorating faster without them knowing? Them getting a refraction after the crash because they did not see your car against a similar colour background will not help you when you are dead.

Play it safe, put your lights on, it does not hurt and yes your globes don't last as long but I still get 3 years out of a quality globe, $40 every 3 years does not break the bank.

Food for thought. The hands down clear winner in the most common reason for all crashes that I attend is "I looked but I just did not see them".

Increase your chances of being seen.

By the way, lights on for me, everywhere, any conditions and any time. Our mini turns the lights on automatically when you turn the engine on and off automatically when you turn it off if the switch is on. I think the switch has been moved about twice in the 3 years we have owned it.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
+1,000,000

If people can't see my red Falcon at 200 metres with clear line of sight, they don't just need glasses, they need a white cane
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
+1,000,000

If people can't see my red Falcon at 200 metres with clear line of sight, they don't just need glasses, they need a white cane

-1,000,000 for me.

I own a black car, and when driving through tunnels or even shady areas you get all sort of people who don't see you. Pull up to the lights and get the usual obligatory shurg from them and an "I didn't see you there"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yeah i turn on the lights in my car all the time when I'm driving, if it means someone can see me better then its well worth it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
phil.50thxr6
White 50

Never really giving it a thought when i sit in my car in the middle of the day. Overcast and rain i do. mite start doing it if it aids some idiot not merging into me
phil.50thxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
Absolutely.

In most European countries it is now becoming mandatory for DRLs to be fitted. The fast moving safety conscious Australian authorities will probably move to do the same in about 2020.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
stev3n

I remember all motorcyclists revolted when new bikes had to have headlight on at all times. Their arguement was that, with the sun behind you, it was more visible to have your headlight OFF.

I had a few bikes over the years, some people used to pull out/ change lanes on you when you had your headlight on, or you did not, just didn't look, or indicate.

I liked to ride with headlight on unless my shadow was infront of me.

I installed a switch in the tail/brake light circuit so that I could switch off the tail light during daylight hours. I figured that it was easier for people following to notice when I braked if I was not displaying a tail light to start with. When I had the tail light switched off a small LED lit up on the dash, wouldn't see it during the day but visible at night, so never forgot to turn on tail light at night.

For the record I only use my car's light when it's dark or in poor conditions. If I was driving a dark coloured car I would always have them on

Last edited by stev3n; 03-12-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: paragraph 3 installed
stev3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice the new Mondeo Titanium gets DRL, but the LX and Zetec don't, looks very strange without it.

If it's raining, overcast, or I'm going through a tunnel, yep I turn the headlights on. Sunny, nope. I'm not familiar with the safety advantages of having your headlights on, but will definitely do a search and see if it's worthwhile.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #23
bafel

Not for cars during the day in good light, unnecessary imo.

Fine for motorbikes.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #24
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted yes. My car is silver, and never gets seen. But when the headlights are on, I seem to get noticed a lot more.