Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Cloudy metallic paint work

Hi there...

Can anybody tell me if it was normal from 1998 to 2002 ( production period of the AU Falcon ) , that the metallic paint job ( in my case silver metallic ) was sometimes a bit cloudy ?

It really depends on the time of the day ( light intensity ) and the angle from what you approach the car.....but it sometimes just looks a bit ( i mean really slightly ) cloudy.

It hasen't been repainted or resprayed completely.

The only repainted area on our Falcon is the drivers door ( it got a new door skin a few years ago ) and to make sure, that the door doesn"t stick out by being slightly lighter or darker in colour, they did some sort of overspray to the rear door and the front guard. There you can see cloudy patches which seem to be unavoidable ( damn metallic paint ) .....but on the passenger side I can see them too but i know it hasen't been resprayed there.

Now I am wondering if some Falcons just rolled out of the factory that way in Broadmeadows when it was produced in 2000.

Does anybody have the same phenomenon with a silvermetallic Falcon as well ? ( no matter if AU , BA , BF etc. )

Thanks for any info and maybe some ideas how to avoid cloudiness when respraying a car in silvermetallic

cheers

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you given it a cut and polish? I know mine (silver AU2 XR6) goes dull after about 6 months if not polished. Lucky for me, it gets polished every month

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The over spraying onto the back door is called blending (tecko trade term is PI $$ en it out ) this is done for that reason as with most metallics, they will be a different shade from a different angle, this will in time be visible a good cut & polish should make it less obvious, fair chance the other side may have been done ex factory

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Swedishmoose

Hi...

thanks for the replies.

The cloudy patches are caused by the actual metallic paint and not by the clear cote, am I right ?

why would a cut and polish help if that has just an affect on the clear cote ?

@Whoosha

At the end of you comment you said "ex factory"

what did ya mean by that ?

@XR Lita

If you polish it every month I guess you are using a non abrasive wax or similar, right ?

I mean a monthly cut and polish ....after a year you might not have any paint left

well..thanks anyways..I guess I have to see and maybe talk to a paint shop...I dunno who the repaint did....some people I have asked a good painter can handle silver metallic which is known to be a pain in a butt.

A good painter shouldn't leave it cloudy..its all about techniques..

well well well..

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post