Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ACCC approves 7-Eleven's Mobil bid

ACCC approves 7-Eleven's Mobil bid
By online business reporter Michael Janda

A leading competition law expert says 7-Eleven's expansion will make the petrol market more competitive (ABC: Graeme Powell)

The competition watchdog has given the go-ahead for 7-Eleven and Peregrine to buy 295 Mobil service stations.

7-Eleven will be purchasing the service stations off Mobil for an undisclosed sum, but then onselling the 29 outlets in South Australia to Peregrine.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) says the takeover will not substantially reduce competition, after it received undertakings from 7-Eleven agreed to on-sell three of the service stations, while Peregrine will divest one.

"The ACCC considers that the proposed acquisitions by 7-Eleven and Peregrine, when viewed with the proposed divestitures, will not substantially lessen competition in the relevant markets," ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said.

A previous $302 million bid by Caltex for the service stations was blocked by the ACCC on competition grounds.

Old 22-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Bugger, 7/11 around here is always the most expensive and the local Mobil always the cheapest!
Hopefully they keep the management.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

managment wont dictate the prices unfortunatly

it will be done from head office

it sucks the big one but i can see prices going up in the local areas unless it sparks a price war

we have mobil BP united and shell plus a couple i cant think of

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Currently Coles and Woolworths buy most of the petrol stock in Australia (I recall a figure of over 70%) and then resell it to the independants because they cant buy it from the distributer anymore.

Im wondering which refinery 7/11 intend to buy fuel from or are they just going to buy the fuel back off coles and woolies??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nope they will get it from mobil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
MAV50L
Banned

Management wont be staying. Someone I am very close to in management with Mobil is affected by this and is looking at copping a redundency.
So yep all the Mobils will become 7-11 Curry Houses before too long................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
adamd

how do they say it won't reduce competition when the 29 7/11 are onselling in SA they are onselling to the company that runs the BP service stations here in SA??
adamd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its gonna be a real bugger with the competition. We are only going to be able to source our petrol from 5 different companies, who in turn source there petrol from different refineries.
mmmmmmm, Once electric cars take over, I am going to be able to source my electricity from one of two retailers, who maybe able to source their product from two generators.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Management wont be staying. Someone I am very close to in management with Mobil is affected by this and is looking at copping a redundency.
So yep all the Mobils will become 7-11 Curry Houses before too long................
My local Matilda Servo is run by Indians and they have ready made curries to go !!!!!
Old 22-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My local Matilda Servo is run by Indians and they have ready made curries to go !!!!!
That sounds awesome. I love curries. Get some fuel, grab a curry. Woohoo
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Unfortunately (from my point of view) Is that they will probably go the same way as Coles/Woolies.

Not long after Shell/Caltex Roadhouses were taken over by the big two the roadhouse side of things were closed. All the big two wanted was the fuel and retail shop. After taking over the roadhouses they then leased the cafe's to outside companies who stopped decent food, 24hr service and increased prices.

Try getting something to eat, or even coffee, between the Qld and Vic borders from midnight and 6:00am !