Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
~Spyne~

Default Suggestions - pads/discs, springs, tyres and wheels!

Hey all,
I had my 2007 LT TDCi go in for its 120k service a couple of weeks ago and it would seem I am up for pads & discs (front) and tyres in the next 5-8000km.
The car pots around Ballarat to and from work (15km each way) and shops, and then to Melbourne/Dandenong every 2-3 weeks.
I've had the car since 20,000km and it has never needed replacement pads and I've not noticed any decrease in braking performance, so after reading so many stories about how soft and quick-wearing the Focus brakes are, I guess I should consider myself lucky they've lasted so long.

Things are pretty tight saving for a wedding, so I'm after suggestions on what and where to buy (and roughly how much).
For pads, I've heard mostly good things about EBC Greens, QFM HPX and Bendix Heavy Duty.
For discs, I've heard mostly good about DBA and Black Diamond. I think EBC do plain discs too? For my driving, do I need grooved/slotted or just plain discs?
For tyres, I'll probably stick with some new Toyo Proxes4 that I've been running the last 2.5yrs, unless anyone has other suggestions for good all-weather grip and quiet.

Now I was talking to some friends who suggested if I'm getting all this done, I should consider wheels and springs too, to give the car a nicer look (still running factory 16" wheels and crazy ride height (I can fit my fist between the top of the tyres and the bottom of the guard/arch!)
I'm not sure about wheels (extra expense that doesn't really add anything to car other than looks), but the ride height might be something I'd consider.
So, any suggestions on what to do here - just new springs from Kings or Eibach, other?

Thanks all.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
rand0mn00b

Default Re: Suggestions - pads/discs, springs, tyres and wheels!

For QFM pads call GSL RallySport, they also had competitive prices on disks too - and they also had the right sizes when I was shopping around. Not many places knew what the Focus needed at the time. Hopefully that has changed now.

re: tyres, if money and mileage is a factor, consider the Kumho KU31. I had the Toyo Proxes 4 and they really didn't last that long for me, they're a decent tyre though. Much, much better than the factory tyres.

I'm surprised your tyres and brakes have all lasted that long, you must look after them. While the KU31 is a little less grippy in dry I think in wet it is a bit better than the Proxes 4. However they will last much, much longer. Road noise is noticeable at first but gets better as they wear in the first month or so

I will let someone else help you with the other stuff...
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

+1 for Kuhmo KU31, I've got them on my WS Fiesta, will be coming for the LV when it gets its new shoes down the track
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I cannot recommend DBA discs highly enough. My current set have been on since Feb 2009, almost 4 years now. I measured the thickness a couple of weekends ago with a micrometer. The fronts have 25% remaining ('til min thickness) and the rears have 50% remaining. It looks like the fronts will outlast at least 2 sets of EBC greenstuff pads. The rotors have never warped or anything and haven't missed a beat.

The EBC greenstuff pads + DBA rotors were a great upgrade, in that you could (without any doubt), notice a difference in braking performance over stock.

I would not recommend EBC greenstuff pads on the rear (in combination with the DBA slotted), as I found them a bit too noisy. I am now running EBC Ultimax pads on the rear.

As for springs, King Springs have a bit of a reputation on many car forums for being for 'looks only' and not really a good performance option. This is only hearsay, I have never tried them myself. May I also recommend you look at Eibach, Koni or Bilstein springs. They are much cheaper when imported from Europe though, where the Focus is much more common.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Howdy.

Just did my brakes (my self, feelin a bit proud of that... LOL) and used those Stealth Bendix units. Almost no brake dust, super quiet, and very grippy. No running in either.

Tyres, I can say DONT by Federal 595's. Worst tyre I have ever bought. You know when you're in a tunnel and a kitted out 4WD goes by with big nobbly rubber? That's what it sounds like inside the car all the time. They are now gonski...

I am running Kuhmo KU31's on Zetec 17" rims, and am so happy with them.

Have a sniff around the XR5 site. Those blokes are always updating this and that, and get rid of springs and shocks for next to nothing, as they dont want to go back to stock.

17" and 18" wheels do make a difference, as does running Zetec height springs. Kingies will do the same, but I think if you're sticking to stock shock set up dont go too low. A flat hand between wheel and guard seems to look pretty good.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
~Spyne~

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I might be contacting GSL after Christmas and see what sort of price they can do for some DBA rotors + QFM/Bendix combo and some Eibach springs and then compare against europeanparts/demontweeks. Are there any other places I should be looking for gear/prices.
And of course be keeping an eye on the second-hand market
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

With the Eibach springs might want to deal with www.european-parts.net, it will be cheaper than sourcing them through a dealer here in Australia.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Yeah also check out http://www.fordpartsuk.com for the springs.
Old 14-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Damo I thought you put Toyo teo plus on your LV?

Have you gone off them, I have got 8 of them on our 2 focuses and all ok.

My 2008 TDCi is now on 110,000 still havent touched the brakes-motorway driving.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ignore post
Old 15-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Big Damo I thought you put Toyo teo plus on your LV?

Have you gone off them, I have got 8 of them on our 2 focuses and all ok.

My 2008 TDCi is now on 110,000 still havent touched the brakes-motorway driving.
Got Teo Plus on the Focus and Kuhmo Ku31 on the Fiesta.

Teo Plus are quiet but it doesn't seem as grippy as the KU31s, its either that or because the Focus is heavier it naturally just handles like crap, doesn't take much to push wide in the Focus.
Old 15-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a petrol focus and the TDCI. The petrol focus handles and tracks and steers beautifully.
But the TDCi-I would never never ever push it-agree with you its not a great handler... bit of a pig really but my driving is virtually all straight line motorway work so it doesent matter.
Your commute is windy hilly stuff isnt it?

Had a 2007 Fiesta before the TDCi that thing had superb handling used to love screwing it round roundabouts very very safe car. You could trust it.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Have a petrol focus and the TDCI. The petrol focus handles and tracks and steers beautifully.
But the TDCi-I would never never ever push it-agree with you its not a great handler... bit of a pig really but my driving is virtually all straight line motorway work so it doesent matter.
Your commute is windy hilly stuff isnt it?

Had a 2007 Fiesta before the TDCi that thing had superb handling used to love screwing it round roundabouts very very safe car. You could trust it.
I'm guessing with the TDCI the problem is the all cast iron engine and the 55 profile tyres, it just seems to push out wide and body roll a LOT.

I've got a rear sway bar and now have the right links for it, just have to have the work done, I'll have my EL Fairmont Ghia on the road this month hopefully so when its on the road, the Focus is going to come off for a while and get some work done. Its good having 5 cars between the three of us at home, when the Focus needed the warranty work done and was off the road, I was driving Dad's car, Mum was driving my WS Fiesta and Dad was driving Mum's WF Festiva.

It doesn't really matter on my daily drive as I'm slowly cruising to work in the morning and on the way home, yes its a hilly and twisty, most of its highway cruising though to work, its only when you want to have fun, it doesn't work too well.