Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
fpvfairmont2003

Default Dodgy Ford Jacks???

Hi guys,about 3 years ago i blown a tyre out side of Brisbane north side on the highway,so i pulled of got the ford jack out(was new and never used)jacked the car up on flat ground,on the correct jack point,got the tyre off and just before i was able to put the spare on, the JACK FAILED!! and the whole jack ended up like a S shape,the car was on its rotor and had to get a mate (2 hours away) to bring another jack,get tyre on ect,i taking it to ford (a little bit angry) and showed them the jack all they said was we will give you a new one and they keeped the stuffed one, has any one had this same problem????

fpvfairmont2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Re: Dodgy Ford Jacks???

First off this happened 3 years ago and you're still mad and are just writing about it now?

In my experience, they aren't the most efficient jacks in the world, but mine's always worked and has kept it's integrity and I've used it quite a few times.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same thing to me in my AU. Jack failed, collapsed. Lucky for me I had already changed the wheel,no damage except for the jack.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

3 years ago, the jack failed and you're just taking it back? Or, you're still peeved 3 years later about the whole scenario?

For what it's worth, I wouldn't trust any cars factory jack on my pushbike, let alone a car. Hence why I buy a trolley jack. Doesn't matter if it takes up precious boot space. Better than loosing body parts.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Do you carry a trolly jack in your boot? How do you secure it? Sounds like a top idea

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My jack from BF ute failed the only time i used it. I dont think i was using it beyond its means. Ended up thrown into the garden
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01
Do you carry a trolly jack in your boot? How do you secure it? Sounds like a top idea
Leave it in it's cardboard box.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Dont think this is a Ford thing all scissor jacks are crap.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Agree with above posts, had a tyre **** itself in my brothers ranger when i borrowed it, it was a wind up bottle jack, even that was **** as it wasn't good enough to do the job, luckily a mate ran me out a trolley jack and all was good

Im with the other blokes, run a trolley jack, if weight and size is a issue even get a smallish one, they are out there and cost jack ****!!!!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Dont think this is a Ford thing all scissor jacks are crap.
that`s about the size of it i think, don`t be shocked, but i actually think the ford (my AU)jack is a little better than a few other brands i`ve tried, i know that does`nt say a lot, lets face it they are a cheap, best conditions use item, i reckon the best factory vehicle jack i`ve ever used was an old mechanical bottle jack out of a 1976 nissan patrol, heavy ugly looking old thing , but worked quite well as long as you kept it oiled.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I have one of the most reliable jacks around, they bring it out to you and everything. I just have to call 13 11 11.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

My old '83 subie had a top scissor jack. Used it 4 times in a row without it failing.

I put bundles of newspaper under the car when i was using it as i thought it would give up after 30 years of being around...

They dont make em as they used to?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
boss54

yer my old EL jack and my BA ute jack
boss54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used my old VZ ute jack on my mates golf and it collapsed which was pretty poor considering the golf was about 3-400 kgs lighter
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I have one of the most reliable jacks around, they bring it out to you and everything. I just have to call 13 11 11.

Good idea, except if you're in the middle of know where and you cop a flatty. Personally, the thought of sitting in a car for 4 or so hours waiting for someone to change my tyre doesn't appeal to me too much.

But hey your choice