Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Default Brake problem!!

Mods I hope it's ok to re-post here to maybe get more of a response, have a bit of a problem with the XR8 Some time ago I had a problem with the front right brakes sticking on. It was looked at first time I think a bit of a clean, they where good for a little while then BAM!!! stuck on in Melbourne towed home at great expense! Mechanic pulls caliper apart and told me the slides where dirty, and they where cleaned and replaced. All was good for nearly 12 months now same thing happens, What else could be causing this hope fully someone has had a similar experience and can shed some light on the problem. Note car is not daily driven and only comes out maybe 1-2 times a month.

SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brake problem!!

maybe the calipers need a kit put through them, seals don`t stay soft forever, mine where starting to bind a bit, a couple of years ago........... not to the point of locking up though, i`ve seen master cylinder problems cause this , but i think it would affect more than one wheel, the master cylinder is`nt over full is it? if brakes aren`t bled often enough water can get into the system , causing corrosion on hydraulic parts and problems, a car driven only occasionally and given a squirt then put away for a period would be more susceptible to this imo, might be worth getting them sussed out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
MattSAU2XR8

If its sticking ON it seems reasonable to assume that the pistons are sticking OUT. So possibly some wear or abrasion in the caliper bore. If its got either 298 or 322 by 28 mm discs the whole caliper is only worth about $30 from a wrecker since (I think) you can fit the 298 mm caliper to the 322 mm caliper bracket. So an easy solution would probably just be to install a good second hand caliper.

I suppose an outside possibility is the ABS locking this caliper on and then overheating it, but it seems pretty unlikely....
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Thanks guys, we plugged oin the Diagnostic tool to see if maybe ABS came up with nothing. I recon maybe go with a new caliper and see what happens
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post