Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Ben85

Default Axle Spacers

Ok guys, i was looking at rear axle spacers online today. You can get 10mm, 12mm, and 20.5mm. Are they a good investment? Will they improve the dynamics of the car?

Thanx

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I don't know about the dynamics, but they make the cars look hot when really low!!!

Where are you looking at them?
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Ben85

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/category.php?catid=1&subid=8 Thats where i was looking at them. They are in the suspension upgrades. They are called rear axle handling upgrade.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 24-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
xr4racer

Try to buy them somewhere else :-(
Old 25-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr4racer
Try to buy them somewhere else :-(

Why do you say that mate?

Old 25-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Be aware it is not legal to use them on the road in Australia, and as such will void your insurance.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
Be aware it is not legal to use them on the road in Australia, and as such will void your insurance.
Even though they're axle spacers rather than hub spacers?
Old 26-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly ... I tried to point this out a couple of months back but as usual was wasting my breath ... here's the link to that discussion

http://www.fordfiestaxr4.com/forums/...906&highlight=
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Ben85

So we are confident that they are definately illegal in NSW?

Old 26-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
xr4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
Why do you say that mate?
My dealings show that they are very helpful until they get your credit card details. Then you cease to exist!
Old 27-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
So we are confident that they are definately illegal in NSW?
From my understanding of the law in NSW they are legal.

"The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer"

But check with the RTA
Old 27-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Exactly ... I tried to point this out a couple of months back but as usual was wasting my breath ... here's the link to that discussion

http://www.fordfiestaxr4.com/forums/...906&highlight=

Hey mate. Sometimes it's pointless trying to get a point across to people about things being illegal to fit, as they just don't comprehend.

The best thing you can do is mention it, and if they don't want to listen, then laugh when they get pinged for using them.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
From my understanding of the law in NSW they are legal.

"The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer"

But check with the RTA
they're not fitted as original equipment.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BINGO!

Oh how refreshing it is to read posts from people of decent intellect

Unfortunately Carey the usual suspects will soon post again with words of wisdom like ... "but if they have Ford stamped on them, you should be able to get away with it, how would anyone know" .. :
Old 27-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:

Read closer

"between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel"

These spacers don't sit between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel and thus that section does not apply.
Old 27-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

I've thought of this but I wasn't sure if there was actual products that do this. I cant see this being as dangerous as wheel spacers

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
Ben85

So i should ring the RTA. LOL

Old 27-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #18
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
So i should ring the RTA. LOL
Id got to an engineers office

That way to talk to someone who must know what they are talking about. IF you simply ring the RTA you will get a desk jockey
Old 27-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Ben85

My question: I'm looking at having rear axle spacers fitted to my 2006 Fiesta, these spacers are the type that fit in between the axle and the rear hub back plate. So not between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel. they are advertised as a handling upgrade. Here is the link http /www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=562

Thanx

RTA Response:

Benjamin
All spacers on hub or wheel assemblies are not permitted unless they are fitted standard by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

RegardsTechnical Enquiries

jonathan_smith@rta.nsw.gov.au on behalf of Technical Enquiries

Old 28-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Read closer
RTA Response:

Benjamin
All spacers on hub or wheel assemblies are not permitted unless they are fitted standard by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

RegardsTechnical Enquiries

jonathan_smith@rta.nsw.gov.au on behalf of Technical Enquiries

I suggest you "read closer" Piotr
Is there still anything you don't quite understand or comprehend here?

For anyone who currently has these on their car, you are driving an illegally modified vehicle and as such you will not be covered by insurance.

For anyone considering these, personally I would suggest you reconsider.

I think this ones cooked .... case closed.

Last edited by robjh80; 28-03-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 28-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I wouldnt risk it mainly because ive personally heard lots of horror stories. But if your gonna do it then do it. No one will stop you here, but just listen to what poeples are saying.

This might be a dumb question but why couldnt you just get wider rims to increase the road contact??
Old 29-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #22
Ben85

Well i have already purchased rims 12months ago, and it would only cost around $100 to have the spacers fitted. But seeing astho they are illegal, that wont be happening anymore.

Old 30-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
WPN XR6T
Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr4racer
My dealings show that they are very helpful until they get your credit card details. Then you cease to exist!
I concur, I purchased a set of spaces about 6 weeks ago from these guys, and they arn't really intrested in what happened to them between clicking "submit" and them (not) turning up here.

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
WPN XR6T
Useless

Having just badmouthed the above, they turned up today. I intend on fitting them myself, and I'll let you guys know how I go.
Cheers
Matt

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
WPN XR6T
Useless

So, I fitted them last night. Not too bad in the looks department, but it is probably better to go with the 12.5mm ones for no other reason other than I think the extra 2.5mm will still clear everything even when lowered.
How are they to fit yourself? Pretty easy if your handy with a spanner. One point tho', the bolts supplied with them are too long on the 10mm jobbies, and you need extra washers to space out the top two bolts so they dont foul on the stubb axels.
Dynamics? Fantastic in a straight line. Much, much more stable, you really have to drive one of these things with this done to it, even with the smallest 10mm spaces, it is bloody fantastic!
Round corners is better too, not so much an improvement as straight line stability, but the rear does feel much more grounded. I recommend this if you are thinking seriously about improving your handling, it is a great cheap mod that you can do yourself and really makes a difference to the dynamics of an already well sorted package.
Matt

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
So, I fitted them last night. Not too bad in the looks department, but it is probably better to go with the 12.5mm ones for no other reason other than I think the extra 2.5mm will still clear everything even when lowered.
How are they to fit yourself? Pretty easy if your handy with a spanner. One point tho', the bolts supplied with them are too long on the 10mm jobbies, and you need extra washers to space out the top two bolts so they dont foul on the stubb axels.
Dynamics? Fantastic in a straight line. Much, much more stable, you really have to drive one of these things with this done to it, even with the smallest 10mm spaces, it is bloody fantastic!
Round corners is better too, not so much an improvement as straight line stability, but the rear does feel much more grounded. I recommend this if you are thinking seriously about improving your handling, it is a great cheap mod that you can do yourself and really makes a difference to the dynamics of an already well sorted package.
Matt

That's until the unfortunate thing happens and the insurance company is involved.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #27
WPN XR6T
Useless

Yeah, well I'm running an aftermarket airfilter - therefore it no longer complies with the Euro 5 EPA regs it did when it was produced and is illegaly modd'ed.
I am also running after market exhaust modd's - as above.
Flash tune? So many regs it's out of control.
Larger brakes with thicker bells, darkest legal tint over factory darkened glass, brakepads other than factory specified. I can go on all night with what can get mine and other blokes cars taken off the road, caneried or rejected from an insurence payout, but at the end of the day, unless the mod is at fault it probably won't be blamed and taken into account.

If you want to leave your car bog stock (and far from me to blame you, these are a great little car stock from the factory floor) thats fine, but as soon as you modify any modern car your pretty much stuffed. So why let fear of the possible stand in your way? Let that happen and you never achive anything.

Just saying do it if you want, if not, stay away, doesn't phase me.

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
crispymk2

I see robjh80 is still banging on about these.

Why come to a forum about cars and the improving of those cars through modifications if you are just going to bag out everyone who tries to improve their cars?

If you want to drive a stock one for the rest of your life go ahead. I know many people who have had crashes in highly modified cars and have received full pay-outs.

As WPN mentioned above, Many basic mods can be considered to be illegal, air filters are a change to the pollution equipment as are all exhaust mods.

As for attempting to link the fitting of rear axle spacers to a persons intelligence, here is a smart and witty retort for you: **swearing removed** You don't know anything about me or my background/education so keep your comments to yourself.

Last edited by RG; 10-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
crispymk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispymk2
I see robjh80 is still banging on about these.

Why come to a forum about cars and the improving of those cars through modifications if you are just going to bag out everyone who tries to improve their cars?

If you want to drive a stock one for the rest of your life go ahead. I know many people who have had crashes in highly modified cars and have received full pay-outs.

As WPN mentioned above, Many basic mods can be considered to be illegal, air filters are a change to the pollution equipment as are all exhaust mods.

As for attempting to link the fitting of rear axle spacers to a persons intelligence, here is a smart and witty retort for you: get fvcked(sic). You don't know anything about me or my background/education so keep your comments to yourself.
Oh Look Everybody ... here comes the Piotr Fan Club Brigade! ... took you a while to get here, hope it was worth the wait .. we shall see shall we?

No, I'm not still "banging on about these" as you so eloquently put it ... I am simply pointing out this issue to those on this particular forum who perhaps didn't have the "pleasure" of our discussion over at "fordfiestaxr4.com".

Firstly ... I dont bag out "everyone who tries to improve their cars", I merely attempt to point out that some modifications have dire ramifications as far as the law of the land and thereby Insurance companies are concerned in relation to the cover you are paying for ... (in your case quite possibly wasting your money on!)

In these troubled economic times every company is looking to cut expenses, in the case of Insurance companies that could be not paying out on claims by "taking a much closer look" at a vehicles roadworthiness in the event of a claim more so than they possibly would have done in rosier days gone by.

As for your "driving a stock vehicle for the rest of my life" comment ....I always modify my vehicles ... but I do so "legally" and always make sure my Insurance Company will continue to provide cover to the vehicle with said modifications .... in contrast to you of course who blatantly goes about making your vehicle unroadworthy, illegal and possibly dangerous? ... and as such not covered by Insurance, beit private or Gov't controlled.

I have changed the springs in my XR4 to Eibach's, changed the wheels to aftermarket ones and had darkest tint installed .... all legal and all discussed and given the go-ahead by my Insurance Company ... in writing!

Secondly ... as for your .. "attempting to link the fitting of rear axle spacers to a persons intelligence" comment ... I don't need to attempt this? ... your doing a fine job of that yourself without any assistance from me, or anyone else for that matter .. keep up the good work tiger.

And Thirdly ... your ..."here is a smart and witty retort for you: get fvcked(sic)" comment ... Unfortunately ... Uh No, neither "smart" nor "witty" I'm afraid, maybe have another try in your next post champ, of course I'm sure there will be one ... please? ... pretty please? ... can't wait!

And no ... I know little about your "background/education" and concurrently have little "interest/desire" to find out ... if I did I would have done so by now, without even leaving the comfort of my armchair.

Of course you obviously know nothing about me either, ... I can tell this by your "smart" and "witty" responses to my posts both here and on other forums.

You have to understand that these forums are but one of a number of avenues for me to escape the horrors and pressures of my normal daily activities, your interesting banter is always welcome with me... for this I thank you.

I must catch up with your friend Piotr as well, I have to respond to his last PM he sent me over at fordfiestaxr4.com, I haven't unfortunately had time lately, been a lot going on that I have had to attend to, must make sure I put aside some time soon though to respond to his pleasant and thoughfull comments ... I do miss him .. bless his little socks, I think the lad just needs a little guidance that's all.

We really should make time to talk more often, dont you think?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Enough of this BS now.

Next to continue with this will get a warning.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post