Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Strange noise - Engine or Trans. who knows???

Driving the ute to work last couple of mornings I have noticed a sound like air being squeezed out of a small hole coming from the front of the car at around 3,000rpm, just before it changes gears.

Its a XR6 auto - trans was last serviced 20,000kms I thought it may have been the gears grinding or slipping/

First morning I thought what the.. listened to it and after the car had warmed up it seemed to not be there.

This morning the ute was warm and I noticed it didn't matter what speed I was doing under med to hard accelerator at around 3000 is made the noise for about 400rpm.

It is when the car is changing up gears and it doesn't matter from gear to gear it just does it..

Anyone else had a similar experience.. As Im not sure if its the engine or the trans Im also not sure where else to post on FF so I thought I would start wit h the fellow AU folk.

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep - I've had a similar noise. Mine was the start of an exhaust leak (broken manifold gasket), and it only got worse from there, to the point where it was a constant ticking, not just the occasional flutter of air.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cost much to get it fixed.. I was thinking of getting some headers for the Ute anyways, so while they are there get them to check this out also.. Would Fred at Tugg do that job?

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
cost much to get it fixed.. I was thinking of getting some headers for the Ute anyways, so while they are there get them to check this out also.. Would Fred at Tugg do that job?
He would. And if it is the transmission, the auto trans place is right next door. I reckon it's a broken exhaust manifold which should be replaced with Pacemaker 4499s or 4480s (comps) as a matter of safety. *wink*.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes...for safety reasons i fitted Pacemaker 4499's too *wink*.

just also check engine bay for any hoses that have come loose or came off eg, the PCV valve and so on..

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post