Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
chunx009
Starter Motor

Default AU XR8 Engines.

Hey guys,

Ive been reading the threads on this site and finally signed up. Im looking to buy a AU XR8 ute and ive been hearing/reading many things about which series has which engine etc etc etc. I was just wondering if there is any way when looking at the engine or car to tell if its the 200 or 220 motor?

I would love the 220 but not sure it comes in the ute?

Cheers.

chunx009 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

the 220 didnt come in the ute unless some one put it in there later on the sed. the throttle body is bigger and has a Tickford wing on it
and welcome on board to

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference between a 200kw + 220kw, is that the 220 has a Tickford symbol stamped on the throttle body housing.
AU XR8 utes only came with 2 engines, series 1 185kw and series 2 200kw.
AU 3 Pursuit utes came with 5.6L stroker engine.
Hope this helps.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
chunx009
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
the 220 didnt come in the ute unless some one put it in there later on the sed. the throttle body is bigger and has a Tickford wing on it
and welcome on board to

so im guessing they are fairly rare? I really love the 220 sedans but i need a ute for work.

Also, ive already got the mods bug as a mate has a XR8 AUII ute and im in love! is the manual gearbox strong enough to take mods or would be best to get a auto and get shift kit?

thanks,
Old 10-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Info on the XR8 utes from the FPV site (http://www.fpv.com.au/theheritage/ut...itutility.aspx)

2001 AUII Falcon XR8 Pursuit Utility

The performance V8 version of the ute lined up with the current passenger car range in body series and mechanical specification with the June 1999 arrival of the all-new AU ute for the first time since 1980. The first AU XR8 ute featured a similar drivetrain to the final XHII XR8 ute which was different from the EL XR8 Series II.

The AU XR8 185 kW engine had the latest Explorer cylinder heads like the XHII XR8 engine, different camshaft and new inlet manifolds. As a mainstream Falcon option it provided 175 kW. For the AU XR8 it was boosted to the same 185 kW and 412 Nm as the last XHII XR8 ute series which had significantly more torque than the different 185 kW engine in the EL XR8. Pick these later Windsor engines by their different spark plug location and GT40P cylinder head stamping.

The AU front suspension was heavily revised with a single lower wishbone replacing the previous lower arm and its locating rod. The new forged alloy upper wishbone now housed the upper ball joint. The box section lower rails which run longitudinally and support the front suspension were substantially increased in size and strength and were now linked by a hefty new cast aluminium cross member. It was a great start for a new heavy duty ute series.

For the first time in Falcon history, the AU ute was given heavy duty chassis sections which extend from under the cabin to support the owner's choice of cargo body. In terms of ute toughness, it was a return to the heavy duty focus of the chassis under the Mainline load bed. To compensate for the extra weight of these structural members, the ute's bedliner is a heavy duty and easily replaced polyethylene. The live rear axle and dual rate progressive rate leaf springs were retained for constant track and consistent ride and handling over the huge variation in laden and unladen weight.

The AU XR8 ute's huge reserves in grip, safety and strength could more than support a power increase but this had to wait until after the April 2000 arrival of the AU Series II. The Series II upgrade introduced new front suspension components to allow for larger twin piston front calipers and a major boost in pad size and rotor thickness. Changes to the master cylinder and booster delivered a much firmer brake pedal especially in XR models. The new dual thickness/laminated firewall added refinement and while the XR8 sedan engine went to 200 kW, the XR8 ute retained the 185 kW engine. Styling revisions squared up the front, there was a new blue instrument background and a new 17 inch wheel design.

The XR8 Pursuit limited edition based on this AU Series II upgrade and launched in January 2001 was an important marker in Falcon ute history after it was the first to feature the 200 kW engine in the ute range and brought the XR8 utes and sedans in line. The Pursuit badge, which featured on the side skirts, was once the proud performance name for the Falcon's more powerful sixes but the neat play on the word ute made it the ideal badge for a premium performance ute model. The XR8 Pursuit also featured special body additions, polished sports bars and matching tonneau as standard.

The success of the first Pursuit led to the 200 kW engine being offered as the base XR8 engine by April 2001 but the sports bars and body additions became an option.

The sporty XR8 versions with their V8 Supercar looks and sharper handling were an outstanding success and quickly contributed to the new range's market leadership. In Australia, Ford dealers dominated the ute sales race, delivering a record 16,955 utes in 2001, easily surpassing the previous record of 13,698 set in 2000. This was a far cry from 1989 when Ford kept the ute market alive alone with around 8163 sales.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #6
xr8man83
Grunt Files

man the utes go good if you have the mods bug you will make up that power in no time if your getting a series two look for the handbuilt with pride plark on the tappet cover that meens you have a 200kw jigger if it dont have that its ur stocko 185 engine
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
AU2_XR8_220

Cool 200kw vs 220kw

Gday Champ.

The AU utes only came in the 200kw version, however, Tickford did release the AU Pursuit ute. This puppy came with the 5.6l stroker and put out 250kw (has also got the quad light front end like the sedans). The pursuit utes are hard to find, and would set you back almost $30k. If your deadset on the ute then go for it, but you would get more power from the sedan version, plus irs sports suspension?

later

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunx009
Hey guys,

Ive been reading the threads on this site and finally signed up. Im looking to buy a AU XR8 ute and ive been hearing/reading many things about which series has which engine etc etc etc. I was just wondering if there is any way when looking at the engine or car to tell if its the 200 or 220 motor?

I would love the 220 but not sure it comes in the ute?

Cheers.
AU2_XR8_220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
chunx009
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2_XR8_220
Gday Champ.

The AU utes only came in the 200kw version, however, Tickford did release the AU Pursuit ute. This puppy came with the 5.6l stroker and put out 250kw (has also got the quad light front end like the sedans). The pursuit utes are hard to find, and would set you back almost $30k. If your deadset on the ute then go for it, but you would get more power from the sedan version, plus irs sports suspension?

later
Ye but the one problem i got is that im still a P' Plater and ive already been quoted on a 220 sedan at like $3k or somthing. Ive been looking around and the pursuit is out of my price range (+ wont get insurance) so im thinking XR8 AUII ute.

I wont be touching the engine until im off my P's but once im off my p's i will be doing to usual but i want to know how the manual's hold up once the engine had been modified? Or would i be better of gettin the auto with a shift kit

i wish i could get the 220 sedan but i need the ute for work.
Old 13-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
bf tubs

dont use the xr for work i did and over the past 2 years it has gone from a sweet ute to a busted up piece of crap depends on wat ur job is of course mine was lowered and it hit just bout everthing on site so maybe get a cheapie ute and save the ute /sedan for aferwards or wekkends just a thaught
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post