Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Ultra race inspired GTHO?
Yep, that will finish the argument 17 30.36%
Yep, but must be affordable by ordinary people 10 17.86%
Nup, the war can never be won 3 5.36%
Nup, GTHO is history and should stay there 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GTHO, another hypothetical

The miami GTs are imminent and as other than the $150k W427, the F6 is currently the quickest Australian built car the new GT should be the king of the hill.

Of course it is very unlikely that it will be as quick as a W427 and the extra $80k of technology does seem to work rather well.

This will ensure that any discussion with a holden bogan will almost always contain several references to "W427 is quicker/faster/gooder/sicker" despite it being significantly dearer.

So here is a cunning plan.

The FPV GTHO (oh no not again).

Lots of carbon fibre, alloy panels and race track trick stuff.
Engine in the "beyond silly" class and cabin fitout that makes an XT look luxurious.

Cost: $300,000 to $500,000 per unit maximum 49 built.

They will sell stuff all of them and will draw the scrooby crabs like free beer at a football match.

BUT

All they need is to sell ONE to some cashed up bogan and that puts the GTHO and FPV squarely on top.

The scroobies can't win because it is far too expensive for average "hoons" and there are too many powerful people who like their lambos/ferarris etc. to allow the wowsers to cause any grief at the supercar end of the market.

The true blue old schoolers can't complain (but they will because that is what they love to do) because it upholds the "tradition" of road going race car.

The only reply "team B" can make is to build something similar and as these are just silly there will no longer be any real relevance.

Argument solved (or more accurately, dissolved )

So is this a cunning plan? Or not......

Last edited by flappist; 21-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you been hittin the red wine again flappy.......
Old 21-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
GT-E

The only thing that is wrong with your hypo GTHO is I bet all 49 would be sold even if they cost $300,000+.
They would sell out before release and be shoved into storage and super funds.
I would personally like to see a GTHO that is affordable and is not a very limited release. They should put out 200 per year and give preferance to FPV former owners.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
BFZF8

Apologies for going OT and also for my ignorance but what is a miami GT?
Old 21-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
They should put out 200 per year and give preferance to FPV former owners.
I can hear the purists chanting the 11th commandment!

"don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" "don't dilute the dna pool!" ...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 21-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If ford dont have a proper race program to actually compete with a new "GTHO" then they shouldn't bother. By program I mean full factory support, prodrive pull their collective finger out and V8SC driver race the thing in Targa or Bathurst 12hr events.

Win that then charge as much as they like.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do we bother trying to reinvent the wheel all the time ????
The GTHOs are the legends for what they do,what they have and what they destroyed on the track

We will NEVER duplicate that again
So why worry about it

Who cares what some bogan thinks of a small handfull af W427s
The GTHOs are on top of the hill always will be forever
Old 21-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
If ford dont have a proper race program to actually compete with a new "GTHO" then they shouldn't bother. By program I mean full factory support, prodrive pull their collective finger out and V8SC driver race the thing in Targa or Bathurst 12hr events.

Win that then charge as much as they like.
Agreed, this really needs to be done properly. Motorsport fans need to embrace great motorsport events like the 12 hour and manufacturors will develop road going track spec cars again.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 21-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Doesn't need to have a silly engine, just lose some weight, awesome suspension, bigger brakes and serious wheels and tyres along with 360 degree engineering and like the W427 have all the trick stuff like gearbox cooler for the manual, diff cooler etc. etc.

And I really think decrying all people that respect the W427 as bogans is completely moronic. If you look at the details, it is easy to see why anyone with half a brain and an open minded appreciation of cars can appreciate it for what it is. The ultimate road going sedan ever made in this country. If you judge performance in quarter mile times alone then you are the bogan, and a very dumb bogan at that.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Kryton

I dont think it should be done at all - EVER.
You cant make it what it was (which in today's standards isnt that great anyway).
Time to move on and let the past be the past.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
You cant make it what it was (which in today's standards isnt that great anyway).
Agreed
Old 21-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Grippy

Quote:
What if it wasn't called a GTHO? Something different?

Old 21-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
What if it wasn't called a GTHO? Something different?
And isnt there something called the GT-H about to come out.
That should be as close as it ever comes.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Much like 'GTS' 'BOSS' 'GT500' etc, the acronym 'GTHO' stands for more then the its original use. The bare mention of its name gives images of a Ford wanting to be all, a winner, the top of the Falcon performance range. Ford/FPV will do no harm bringing back the fabled badge (Sure, a few will banter on about bathurst, how the V8 SC's are boring and how we need to go back to the 60's) , if FPV do indeed have a all-conquering blown V8 in its near future, it will more then deserve the nameplate.

Not being a race car is irrelevant in this day, if it was, the likes of a GT will not be around now its self. Like wise Holden's GTS, Shelby's GT500, Boss, all names that were born out of need for race track domination in the 20Th century, now representing power and performance for the car owner, and what they choose to do with the car its self.

The addition of purely the GT name to the line up has done wonders for Ford. The next step is the unleashing of a beast, something that brings pride, emotion and lore.

After all, what can you call a High performance GT, without sounding tacky?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Grippy

Quote:
And isnt there something called the GT-H about to come out.
That should be as close as it ever comes.
Agree 100%

Old 21-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Just remember, people will buy the GTHO for what it is, rather what it's not.

If there was a limited (say 250) release of the model, i dare say that a good percentage won't be bothered by the lack of racing identity.

The GT was the Falcon bathust car before the GTHO came along, and we already have a GT selling well.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I've always felt FPV would be better suited by releasing GTHO's as "show cars" or concepts only. The original purpose of the GTHO's was to be king of the mountain. Without the racing series (or the prestige of the race) the GTHO is a bit out of place. By being a concept car FPV can negate the detractors espically when it comes to affordability, road safety and heritage.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
Falcman0o7
Banned

Ford Just Build A Bl Oody Ho! It's Pretty Obvious It's Wanted.
Ho This Ho That...
Old 21-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZF8
Apologies for going OT and also for my ignorance but what is a miami GT?
335kw supercharged 5.0 litre V8 to be released in October.

Miami is the Australian project name for the American engine known as coyote.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

From what I can tell, the HO was developed as race car that had to meet homologation requirements at the time. Something that doesnt exist anymore. I agree with the idea of releasing a falcon in the same way the W427 was. However, I don't see any attempts to resurrect the A9X, or the XU1. So yes, I agree with the idea of making a pointlessly powerful and expensive Falcon in the name of the bragging rights psychology. But lets keep the HO where it should be.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Can't believe anyone wouldn't want the gtho nameplate reinstated....
All the GTHO purists, god the whinging is so old. Why shouldn't ford produce a GTHO??"oh, there's no heritage there's no history waah waah waah!!!"
you sound like you don't want an awesome limited run model to hit it to Holden...
There's no difference between 1971 and 2010. Just new tech(and some Bathurst rules changed) so why not? Bring back the mayhem. You only live once!!!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #22
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Good question Flappy.

If only Ford Aus is able to follow the American Lead as they've done with the Mustang Boss 302 vehicle. It's race inspired, not sure if it has all the lux but is still accessable to the average punter and goes like the clappers.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #23
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Unfortunately i dont think a GTHO will ever come about, it should be left to always be what it always has been and thats a Legend.

Its got its status from the accolades it achieved both at the track and on the road as the worlds fastest sedan and could still be bought from the showroom by the average punter.

In todays money it just cant be replicated, it cant live up to the legend. Im not a fan of the W427, its still just a commodore with a big engine and ugly interior that can be put to shame down the quarter mile by a FG turbo 6 with change in your pocket. Lets not forget muscle is all about the 1/4 runs. The only lap times people care about is the Stigs power laps. I would hate for Ford to make the same mistake. The new cameros and challengers dont live up to their former incarnations.

However I would love FPV to build a big banger in limited numbers, its got to be removed from a standard falcon a bit more than the current GT, needs to put up good 0-100 times and 1/4 passes but all for reasonable price. If they **** up those things for me it will be a failed exercise, has to beat the W427 or dont bother. If they are to do it, has to be soon as well to be to compared fairly, but just leave the GTHO as a legend.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 21-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Perhaps don't call it a GT-HO. Perhaps call it something like a GT-XX or GT-R but leave the HO name back in the 1970's where it belongs and where it took names and kicked ****. A new car can be a HO by nature (and then some) but I think it shouldn't be a HO by name because it will forever be judged and compared with its forebears and won't be held in the same regard because of it. And such a car should be held in high regard.

And just in reference to the W427 thing - a performance car is more than just an oversized crate motor shoved into a production car. It's all the other special bits and pieces that are unique to that car that make it a true performance car (like the original HO's were). This is what a new 'HO' should be.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 21-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Miami is the Australian project name for the American engine known as coyote.
WTF???? Miami? Coyote? Which sounds better? Which idiot came up with that name??? Some people take a good thing, then ruin it..... I'd stick with coyote.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #26
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god damn I am soooooooooooo tired of all the GTHO threads I said it before and again I shall say it

please stop whining for a gtho

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 21-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #27
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
god damn I am soooooooooooo tired of all the GTHO threads I said it before and again I shall say it

please stop whining for a gtho
Its been 39 years since the Phase 3 and its still the benchmark Falcon.

You cant look back forever, Its time for a limited edition factory released
GTHO Phase 5.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
WTF???? Miami? Coyote? Which sounds better? Which idiot came up with that name??? Some people take a good thing, then ruin it..... I'd stick with coyote.
Different "code" names for different projects. Perfectly understable
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #29
MexicanBatman
Banned

I want a falcon 500

An xt spec that I can option the 5.0 V8 in!!!
Old 21-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
JimNiki
71Mach1

dude, ...bugger the HO name... you're idea is better !!!
The ultimate hipo lion tamer!

The revered "very limited edition" new falcon 500 (500kw).

it comes with bits of rope to open the doors ...door handles are optional...
(Now I better take my hand of it! ...hehe)
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Closed Thread