Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you aim for snakes?
Always line em up 23 29.49%
Always avoid hitting them 33 42.31%
Only try to get them closer to towns/cities 3 3.85%
Other 19 24.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #31
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
: I'm a reptile owner and snake handler/catcher. What do you think my views on this thread are..?..For those that puposely run them over, i hope u get fanged by an elapid in a remote area.!!. :
Whoa there...

I understand your love of snakes, but this one was an accidental run-over. It looked just like a freshly broken branch.
Old 21-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #32
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont go out of my way to hit anything.. Dont really see the point. DOnt gain anything from it and the most that can come out of it is damage to ya car.. But i have hit a cat once.. (it fell out of a tree and hit right on my front bar..) geez that little fella jump up and bolted fast. I was surprised he survived but i did get a good laugh after (when i saw he looked ok)
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #33
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I neither try to hit or avoid...

If we make contact, then so be it.

I've got a list of critters ive taken out

17 Rabbits(all but 2 on the same stretch of road), 1 Fox, 2 Dogs, 6 Birds(in flight) including a Owl, 4 Birds(not in flight) including a duck, 1 Roo, 1 Turtle and one Red Belly Black Snake.

Most of which i hit with my old KC Laser, excepting the Roo, hit that in a hired Landcruiser while towing the XC home from the paintshop, the Turtle and most the birds with my XC.

Do locusts count ?
I couldnt tell you how many of those ive smashed between Gulgong and Lithgow :P
All i know is the Peac0ck spent ages picking them out of the grill and radiator :yeees:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #34
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol that is a decent list you got there mate. :Up_to_som
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #35
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
lol that is a decent list you got there mate. :Up_to_som
Ive got the rabbits written down... Not by myself.

A mate from school lives about 10kms from home, he didnt have his license then and he still doesnt now... Anyway theres a about 4kms of dirt road in between, he kept tabs on the rabbits over the years.

Everything else is pretty easy to remember...
Due to car damage and group hits with the birds makes it easy to remember too.
I once hit 4 rosella's that were feeding off something on the road, they took to the air and ended up a colorful addition to my XC's grill till i flicked them out at Lithgow Maccas.

As much as i dont like hitting animals, cleaning up afterwards is worse :

Does anyone else keep tabs on Road kills ?
Old 21-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #36
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I won't go out of my way to hit a snake in fact I still feel sick every time I hit any wildlife on the road .But after hit something on the road how many people stop to make sure it's dead(I hate the thought of something in pain on the road)or don't care and keep driving
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #37
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

in the 14yrs ive been driving i think ive hit 2 birds. will never go out of my way to hit anything. will avoid where possible.

my brother lives in the country in NZ, the was an accident outside his house one night, a guy swerved to avoid a wild cat, lost it, went head first in to a tree. walked away tho, not sure how, that car was a mess.

so if its unsafe to go around it, i wont.
Old 21-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #38
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
if its unsafe to go around it, i wont.
this is it, if i cant avoid an animal safely, they get hit, but otherwise i dont hit anything.....

ive hit a couple of rabbits cos they're stupid and stop in the way.....
and ive hit a dog because i was going down hill with a ute and trailer full of wood.....nice and heavy so couldnt stop (i did try).
anyway the owner of the dog came out going off for hitting their dog, im like why the hell was it allowed out to be on the road in the first place......... they shut up then...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #39
GTFORDMAN

i'll try not to hit a snake because they do so much good for the enviroment killing rabbits, mice and stupid pommy backpackers. so if its safe to do so i will try to avoid hitting them, but rabbits on the other hand :evil3:
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #40
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont set out to get anything but have a huge tally that I wont put up in here .......

I can accept that there are people out there who like snakes ...... I respect your opinion but after seeing my faithfull red cattle dog die from a brown snake bite I am firmly in the belief that the only good snake is a dead one ...... can anyone tell me why browns are protected ?????? they do nothing more than kill anything they come across whether its a child, dog or anything else............
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #41
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out home I'd see on average a snake on the road every few days. Red belly blacks mostly, but we also get alot of browns and carpet pythons (BIIIG buggers too, seen a few 2m+). I try to miss them as much as possible, but at times on the dirt road its safer to hit the poor bugger than navigate deep corrigation in the road sideways trying to avoid them. They kill alot of ferals out here namingly hares, rabbits, mice, foxes etc, they're a valuable part of the ecosystem. But get anything venomous up near the house, double barrel shotgun with #4 load does the trick very nicely.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #42
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

It would greatly depend on the location.
I lived in a country town about 17 years ago and found a female tiger snake about 10 meters from my back door (it was pregnent only found out after blowing the shyte out of it)
Yes i would run over it in an area that was near people, in the bush I would leave them alone.

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #43
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

does a blue winged kookaburra count as a bird or is to pretty :

if so then 10 plus all the toady's and other roadents and a couple of snakes and wat bout the dead road kill does that count :dr_Evil:
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #44
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

If you collect a Roo, you got to make sure it doesnt have a Joey in its pouch.
Joey's usually survive the hit. Wires volonteers will pick it up and care from it from there.

My mother inlaw is one of them, Baby Roo's are so.... Cute
Old 22-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #45
I bleed ford
351 cubes of power

avoid if it is possible but i saw one car written off cos they swereved to avoid an possum and rolled the car.....i got a bull bar too so ol skippy better steer clear
Old 22-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #46
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive hit 1 bat, 2 birds, both walking, and a lot of toads. Ive also been in a car that hit a Turkey. That was funny.
Old 22-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #47
NRG 290

It is against the law to kill any snake in this country. even in your backyard unless you feel your life is in danger.
A snake will never get up into your when you run over it. That is a big Myth. Could you jump into something running you over at 100km?

Snakes are very cool, but i am very pleased to see that so many people help reduce the feral/pest population.
NRG 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:42 AM   #48
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I cant say i do enough driving out bush to worry about such things. My roadkill count at the moment is 0, I have however 'driven over' 2 possums, the first one i didn't even see til the last second and braced myself for the thump, nothing, the second one i attempted to stop, heard him hit the front lip and roll under the car, got out to check but he had run off.

If i ever was in that situation, i agree with most others here, I'll swerve if it's safe to do so.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #49
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

The only animal I will TRY and hit is the canetoad. Everything else I will do my best to avoid! I don't have a problem at all with snakes and as somebody said, I stay away from them and they stay away from me!