Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Default Shorten meets with Holden workers

http://www.skynews.com.au/national/a...aspx?id=933799

Quote:
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says Holden workers are frustrated that the federal government has given up on their jobs.

Mr Shorten on Friday met with Holden workers at the car maker's plant in Melbourne, just days after they were told it would close by the end of 2017.

The Labor leader said the employees believed government assistance could have saved their jobs.

'They are frustrated the Abbott government ran up the white flag and won't fight for their jobs,' Mr Shorten said.

'They understand Holden was interested in staying in Australia with some kind of government support.'

Mr Shorten called on the prime minister to use a portion of the money set aside for the $5.5 billion paid parental leave scheme, which is the subject of talks with the premiers in Canberra on Friday, to assist the car industry.

There should also be a bipartisan position on the future of manufacturing and a firm commitment from the government that it wanted a car industry.

'This government will be the first government since cars were invented that doesn't want a car industry in Australia,' Mr Shorten said.

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Old 14-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shorten meets with Holden workers

It would probably be naughty of me to call that shorten bloke a goose, so I spose I better not, but I'm thinking it !
however his very party has been responsible for lowering tariffs at every opportunity and putting in policy that rises the cost of doing business.... at the same time you probably would not be burned at the stake for thinking hmmmm , neither big party has been really helpful for our manufacturing for many years (greens included).......... damned good at voting themselves pay rises (20% wasn't the last one?)and perks though...... oooh yeah .......got that legislation passed quick smart !
if only we could get some power generating fans installed at parliament..................... my god with all that wind bag power(fans spinning at 7000 rpm like V8 Miami) none of us would have to pay electricity ever again ............ manufacturing would kick on .............. ford might even come back...... holden and Toyota might stay............... watch out Daewoo where comin for ya !

Last edited by mik; 14-12-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: dementia
6 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Politics; the art of getting paid to put all the blame on the other guy. Didn't Ford announce the end of their manufacturing under Labours watch? Where was the billion dollar assistance then?
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a joke. Politicians playing the blame game. These clowns will all be sitting back collecting there benefits when our country will start to feel the real effects of no manufacturing.Paid parental leave............ Best I shut up.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

If Shorten-curlies was really concerned at wanting to provide genuine assistance for both Holden and Qantas, then surely he would stop blocking moves to repeal the carbon tax in the senate. After all, the Abbott government is trying to remove a tax on electricity, a tax which some have indicated adds about 100 million per year in costs to Holden, so surely if Billy-boy was genuine he would allow that law to pass through the senate, and not vote against it? It would save Holden at least 100 million per year - two thirds of the magic 150 million Kim Carr was said Holden needed per year to survive.

Or is it that Shorten is just playing political football and couldn't actually give two schits about Holden or its workers if it means being able to attack the government.
After Mike Deveraux has come out and said the decision was considered over many months and the parent company GM is trying to cut costs, I think it may be the latter.

So you may ask, what sort of grub would politicise the heartache of the Holden worker? I dunno, but it's the type of guy who has a lot of baggage that threatens to explode.
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/...investigating/

If there's truth to that story then this guy is a certifiable scumbag and should be locked away.

Quote:
Powered by GE
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
If Shorten-curlies was really concerned at wanting to provide genuine assistance for both Holden and Qantas, then surely he would stop blocking moves to repeal the carbon tax in the senate. After all, the Abbott government is trying to remove a tax on electricity, a tax which some have indicated adds about 100 million per year in costs to Holden, so surely if Billy-boy was genuine he would allow that law to pass through the senate, and not vote against it? It would save Holden at least 100 million per year - two thirds of the magic 150 million Kim Carr was said Holden needed per year to survive.

Or is it that Shorten is just playing political football and couldn't actually give two schits about Holden or its workers if it means being able to attack the government.
After Mike Deveraux has come out and said the decision was considered over many months and the parent company GM is trying to cut costs, I think it may be the latter.

So you may ask, what sort of grub would politicise the heartache of the Holden worker? I dunno, but it's the type of guy who has a lot of baggage that threatens to explode.
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/...investigating/

If there's truth to that story then this guy is a certifiable scumbag and should be locked away.

this post is very disturbing indeed . people always turn any govt representive into the person to blame . be it either side, they blame each other . then members of the public take the issue away and derogatise the govts . and blame other people also .
so we get govts , blaming each other , then we get no confidence in govts . and then the public citizens blame each other and derogatise each other .
I'ts like profit rules and it's all that matters . somewhere in the middle . a minority will make huuuuuuge money , and slip quietly under the radar , un noticed .i'ts ASHAME that nobody can be blamed anymore . the issues always get dissolved and people who have noting to do with it somehow get verbal blame , then the issue dissolves .
Old 14-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

in fact i'm over these threads . Request for it to be closed . it will only end up be our fault somewhere along the line and members here of this forum will abuse each other , it will trickle down to a union work force fault anyway .
bye bye holden . go back to general motors korea or where ever . along with FORD AND TOYOTA . . i'll get on with my life , work where i work , and buy whats available . not worth the effort of blaming the public .

the thread title bill shorten meets with holden workers . quickly gets attacked by a right winger , and becomes bill shorten raped somebody at 16 .

CLOSE THE THREAD . NOW !!!!

Last edited by gtfpv; 14-12-2013 at 02:33 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
superyob
Banned

[QUOTE=ltd;4963875]If Shorten-curlies

:
Old 14-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
in fact i'm over these threads . Request for it to be closed . it will only end up be our fault somewhere along the line and members here of this forum will abuse each other , it will trickle down to a union work force fault anyway .
bye bye holden . go back to general motors korea or where ever . along with FORD AND TOYOTA . . i'll get on with my life , work where i work , and buy whats available . not worth the effort of blaming the public .

the thread title bill shorten meets with holden workers . quickly gets attacked by a right winger , and becomes bill shorten raped somebody at 16 .

CLOSE THE THREAD . NOW !!!!
Whilst I appreciate and understand your point of view please allow me to elaborate.
First of all, I was wishing to highlight the hypocrisy of Bill Shorten, and his willingness to exploit the plight of the Holden worker to score political points. This to any fair minded person is not an acceptable practice, particularly on the back of the 1700 odd families facing an uncertain future. Reprehensible.
Then, he has used this point to demonise a leader who has only been in the job for 4 months; less time than Holden has deliberated on their future in manufacturing - further, this deliberation was occurring whilst this Shorten was minister in a government which had the power to do something and failed. This is startling hypocrisy.

Furthermore, I also wished to highlight the fact that whilst not in government now, Bill and the opposition have at their disposal the means to help Holden, by allowing legislation that would reduce costs to Holden by well over 100 million dollars, and this hypocrite and his ilk have blatantly stood in the way of allowing this to happen. Again, reprehensible.

Finally, people in public office who wish to tarnish the character and integrity of someone best look in the mirror before casting aspersions on others; particularly when one has the police investigating claims of criminal actions which attract hefty gaol time. Hypocritical at best.

I agree this Holden matter has been done to death, but we are being drip-fed information and as such new information comes to light, our opinions are shaped by said information.
I firmly believe that for whatever reason, 1700 odd families have been given really bad news and for politicians to score points is reprehensible.
The ALP could render assistance to Holden by passing the elected governments bills, but they choose not to and then choose to instead whine that the government is not doing enough - of course they aren't because you're putting up roadblocks to any kind of reform. Is Bill and the ALP really that dumb?

As for other members, I try to avoid personal abuse at all costs because at the end of the day, it's the fastest way to being banned as some have found out and it's the diverse opinions that make the forum fun. If we all agreed then it would be as boring as a Kevin Rudd concession speech.

Quote: