Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Vane Type PS Pumps

A simple pondering.

If the bore size of two pumps is the same, and their applications similar (barring maybe a 10% difference in stroke), is it odds-on they will have a similar vane count?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vane Type PS Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A simple pondering.

If the bore size of two pumps is the same, and their applications similar (barring maybe a 10% difference in stroke), is it odds-on they will have a similar vane count?
The higher vane count will give a smoother delivery power steering pumps usually have a flow control valve in the output so it delivers a constant volume to your rack/ steering box the excess flow is delivered back to the reservoir the volume of the pump is matched to the requirements so what is important is the metered flow of the pump if swapping pumps is what you are looking at doing.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
The higher vane count will give a smoother delivery power steering pumps usually have a flow control valve in the output so it delivers a constant volume to your rack/ steering box the excess flow is delivered back to the reservoir the volume of the pump is matched to the requirements so what is important is the metered flow of the pump if swapping pumps is what you are looking at doing.
I was in Qld in the 70'S and worked at every meatworks in every major city on the coast from Rockingham to Cairns, I was replacing all the ammonia pipes to suit the new compressors, I always wondered why they chose screw compressors over vane?

They were Atlas Copco compressors but no engineers to question, it was just " fit that there, machine grout, then run ya pipes " but I was always asking "why" about everything I did, do you have a reason about the benefit of vane over screw?....pumping ammonia not fluid or oil.

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-08-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Remove misspelt
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I was in Qld in the 70'S and worked at every meatworks in every major city on the coast from Rockingham to Cairns, I was replacing all the ammonia pipes to suit the new compressors, I always wondered why they chose screw compressors over vane?

They were Atlas Copco compressors but no engineers to question, it was just " fit that there, machine grout, then run ya pipes " but I was always asking "why" about everything I did, do you have a reason about the benefit of vane over screw?....pumping ammonia not fluid or oil.

Cheers Billy
Your talking refrigeration now similar but not hydraulics.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

But I thought vane was better than screw, more efficient maybe, I asked an engineer mate 30 years later he said vane was better?...all these years later I still think about it, it interests me, and this thread sparked it off again, crazy eh, so your answer kicked it off in my head, I can read about the pros and cons but not experience?

You have an opinion on it, I know it's off track, but any input welcome, for my own curiosity

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
I’m looking at changing the drive from a single vee to poly. Have had ongoing issues with premature wear, the run is short; too short and there’s no extra tensioner - just drive and driven pulleys. It drives about 300% of engine RPM.

Have been scoping a similar arrangement that has no similar issues with tension/wear on a 4 rib poly-vee driven pump with very close driven ratio and the same bore in the pump body. The only other difference I know is the stroke of the “possibility” rack is about 20-30mm more, and I wouldn’t be swapping it in.

So, my take on the situation is, they redesigned it for a later model and got it more right.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But I thought vane was better than screw, more efficient maybe, I asked an engineer mate 30 years later he said vane was better?...all these years later I still think about it, it interests me, and this thread sparked it off again, crazy eh, so your answer kicked it off in my head, I can read about the pros and cons but not experience?

You have an opinion on it, I know it's off track, but any input welcome, for my own curiosity

Cheers Billy.
I've worked with enough process engineers for the following (general) summary:
Vane = more efficient (lower operating cost)
Screw = potential for greater volumes pumped (don't confuse pressure with volume)

I'd imagine that in refrigeration Volume was important due to the PV=nRT relationship and adiabatic expansion (or something like that)
As an aside Just had a new inverter RC air con installed - it runs at 100psi, replacing a 20 year old unit that required 250psi, so improvements have been made in these areas....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers Billy.
screw pumps generally operate at relative low pressures hydraulic pumps can be grouped into 3 types gear vane and piston there are variation of these types but generally that's it in my experience i have never seen a screw type hydraulic pump (that's not to say they don't exist) only screw air compressors water pumps and sludge pumps etc..
This user likes this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #9
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
screw pumps generally operate at relative low pressures hydraulic pumps can be grouped into 3 types gear vane and piston there are variation of these types but generally that's it in my experience i have never seen a screw type hydraulic pump (that's not to say they don't exist) only screw air compressors water pumps and sludge pumps etc..
Any fluid pump is considered a hydraulic pump - air water, or hydraulic fluid, Density/Viscosity changes. I suspect you mean hydraulic power pack

they are sometimes called positive displacement pumps. You'd find plenty on google search using positive displacement pump, i.e. Enerpac use to do a .manual lever screw jobbie, and they only get bigger from there.

If swapping belts out, Gates have all the calcs you'll need if converting to Micro V (likely a K / PK type belt)
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post

Any fluid pump is considered a hydraulic pump - air water, or hydraulic fluid, Density/Viscosity changes. I suspect you mean hydraulic power pack

they are sometimes called positive displacement pumps. You'd find plenty on google search using positive displacement pump, i.e. Enerpac use to do a .manual lever screw jobbie, and they only get bigger from there.

If swapping belts out, Gates have all the calcs you'll need if converting to Micro V (likely a K / PK type belt)
They are all positive displacement pumps unless it is a centrifugal pump and the enerpac manual jobbie you talk about is a piston pump either single stage or 2 stage and they still make them rated at 10000 psi