Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
kate648

Question Changing springs

I need to change the springs in my AU sedan.. now I know I won't be able to do the front ones on my own, but I thought I'd give the rear ones ago. They were **** easy to get out as they were cut, but now I'm having a b*tch of a time trying to get standard ones back in! Anyone got any tips on doing it without pulling the whole rear end apart? Cheers

kate648 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: Changing springs

have you undone the rear shocker lower bolts and taken the bolt out?

make sure when youdo them up very tight too when putting them back in, otherwise you may get a clunking noise when driving.

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
kate648

Yeah I've taken those bolts out.. took the whole shock out of one side but it didn't make it any easier :s
Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

is way easier on a hoist, but if not, jack the body up as high as you can go with stands. Let the diff hang under its own weight and take the shocks out. (put a jack under the diff centre until you are ready to lower it.)
I changed mine (towing springs) on a hoist in under half an hour. By the time you muck around with jacks/stands I cant see it taking any more than an hour.
Just make sure you dont get under the car thats not supported by stands.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
kate648

cheers dude.. unfortunately I don't have stands.. it's sitting out the front with the *** up on a couple of jacks, has been since I did the link pin bushes yesterday. Didn't have much of a choice about not getting under it :/ When I lowered the jack under the diff it didn't really go far. shocks out is the easy bit.. I think I'm just too weak to squeeze the springs in there!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

and make sure you dont have the handbrake on too, that can hold the diff up a couple of inches.

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
kate648

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr View Post
and make sure you dont have the handbrake on too, that can hold the diff up a couple of inches.
Oh true, I didn't know that. Thanks.

I've got it all sorted now thanks guys I had no problems doing it today.. may have been something to do with when I was trying last night I only had torchlight and I was exhausted from working on the thing all day!

Now I just need to source some springs for the front and I'm all good for a roady!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate648 View Post
cheers dude.. unfortunately I don't have stands.
Mate, for christ sake go and get some, or at least a couple of wheels. Might be a good suggestion for a late chrissy present or birthday. $50 is better than carking it.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
kate648

yeah I know, it's on my list! I did have the wheels under there just incase.