Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Default Low beam headlight bulb problems

:

now is it just my naughty falcon or just a stupid retarded and ridiculous idea from ford to put a retaining clip that falls out when you are replacing the low beam bulb. I got the old bulb out no probs then the clip fell off I thought no biggie surely its got go back on easily enough ..... WRONG! As it turns out I have to be Albert damn Einstein to put it back together. So far I have been stuffing around with it for about 2.5 hrs now yes just a bulb, not the whole unit just the bulb........ very frustrating.... :

:

anyone got any ideas or pics as to where the (pardon my technical term here) springy retaining clip attaches to.

Oh yeah its an AU Series 1 Classic

Thanks

Chris

SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

the bulb has to go in a particular way, then the big flat bit of the spring goes on the bottom, on then you have two clips that sit on the side.

If you don't know what i mean, look at the other globe on the car

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The easiest thing to do is to compare the dodgy clip against the other headlamp
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

You seam to have betten my effort. took me half an hour to change one, with most of that being the clip. Lets just say with that time taken, i nearly ended up pitching it halfway accross the yard.

I feel for you man, 2.5 hours taken so far, thats gotta hurt
Old 19-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

worst part about checking the other one is that most likely outcome is that I will end up with 2 dodgy headlights instead of 1.... I have tried to have a peek at it and I just can see it clearly enough.
Old 19-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
superroo

Why would you end up with two dodgy lights, just look at the other one from the back with out touching it. If you can't see it enough take bits out of the car. I think from memory, it's the battery on one side and the airbox on the other.

Cheers.

Ps, where are you, someone may be able to help.
Old 19-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
mavs19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
:

now is it just my naughty falcon or just a stupid retarded and ridiculous idea from ford to put a retaining clip that falls out when you are replacing the low beam bulb. I got the old bulb out no probs then the clip fell off I thought no biggie surely its got go back on easily enough ..... WRONG! As it turns out I have to be Albert damn Einstein to put it back together. So far I have been stuffing around with it for about 2.5 hrs now yes just a bulb, not the whole unit just the bulb........ very frustrating.... :

:

anyone got any ideas or pics as to where the (pardon my technical term here) springy retaining clip attaches to.

Oh yeah its an AU Series 1 Classic

Thanks

Chris
Well it is both the poor design from the Hella guys together with cost savings from Ford and a bit of clumsiness of the Mechanic in question.

There is a trick to this so you don't bend or drop the clip.

On one or in some cases on both sides of the bulb holder there is an arm that goes up with 2 small oval holes on each side of it.
The clip is to be fitted in these holes.
Here is how to do it.
Insert one end of the clip in one of the holes. Then you nedd to use a bit of force (not too much so you bend the clip out of shape) bend the clip so the other leg of the clip goes in the second hole.

It is a bit tricky as I said but once you done it you will know what to do next time.
I have attached 4 pics (from 001 to 004) that shows how it looks like.
Any problems let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (47.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (42.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (38.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (40.4 KB, 89 views)
mavs19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
superroo

my clips looked nothing like that and mines a 99 series 1 xl ute
Old 19-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

am in sunny western Brisvegas sorry, I have officially given up on the $%%^ thing it now has some grit/dirt in the lense as a result of gay/homosexual clip.
.... its going to an auto electrician for a frigging clip that some ****er designer thought hmmm this should be good for a laugh.... why couldn't they just make screw in or at least a fixed clip.

Its nearly enough to make me turn to the dark side, sell the damn thing and buy a bommadore ....

someone please tell me the newer falcons have an improved system other than this.

Chris
Old 19-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

mavs has posted pics of a BA clip, thats why
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try these SirHenry, they are an actual AU headlight, if you want full size, email me & I can send them to you. :
Old 19-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
mavs19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
mavs has posted pics of a BA clip, thats why
The first one is from a BA the second one from a AU farilane.
Old 19-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

au fairlane takes a different bulb to an au falcon.... just look at the pic the dok posted and you'll see how much different the pics you posted are to the one he did
Old 19-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Thanks so much guys for the help and the pics... if I had the clips in the pic I would have had it done in 20mins but as per Superoo mine are also way different.

I could probably manage the strength part, I've got the stress ball, but sadly I do not have the patience required so its off to the sparkies on Monday.
:(
Old 19-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
mavs19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
am in sunny western Brisvegas sorry, I have officially given up on the $%%^ thing it now has some grit/dirt in the lense as a result of gay/homosexual clip.
.... its going to an auto electrician for a frigging clip that some ****er designer thought hmmm this should be good for a laugh.... why couldn't they just make screw in or at least a fixed clip.

Its nearly enough to make me turn to the dark side, sell the damn thing and buy a bommadore ....

someone please tell me the newer falcons have an improved system other than this.

Chris
Unfortunately, the new Ford BA/BF is even worse.
Ask a Ford service dept. or read the manual and it says you need to take your vehicle to an Autorised dealer to change your light bulbs. They do it for free under warranty.
Ain't it funny? They don't even want people to be able to change their own headlight bulbs........
Old 19-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Thanks muchly Dok,

those pics are my headlights and I now realise why its not happening.

I think the clip/fastener up the top is missing not sure if it comes out or has snapped off but its not going because its got nothing to fasten on to.

cheers,

Chris
Old 19-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

what ive found sometimes with the au lights is that the clip can be bent out of whack and wont catch on the tag....... if thats the case you'll need to manipulate the clip with some pliars so it catches....

you could be right though i have seen quite a few with the catch broken off.... unsure what you'd be able to do in that situation, i just throw out and replace the reflectors.....
Old 19-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #18
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are bastards, once took me about 2 hrs to do one on an Elantra (similar design)

Are the commodores diffrerent?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
They are bastards, once took me about 2 hrs to do one on an Elantra (similar design)

Are the commodores diffrerent?
nope, pretty much the same

i refuse to change globes now unless i can take the light out......