Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Default Americans and their media

I heard on the radio the other night something that I thought was interesting. The DJ said that apparently the media in the US is made up of 98% US content, compared to here in Australia where close to 50% of the content in our media is from overseas.

They then went on to talk about how many Americans believe that we have kangaroos bouncing down every street, and how it's because they are exposed to very little about anything beyond their own borders.

I thought that was very interesting, and would like anybody who has spent time in the US to comment on this and tell me how true this is and what their experiences were in the US and how many American citizens knew much, if anything, about Australia and Australians.

P.S. Please don't turn this into an anti-America thread - I think that would be in very bad taste right now with what has happened to New Orleans...

The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Haha yeah.

When I went to America, I took great pleasure in replying to the question, "sah howe ded yoo guys get ovr heer?" with:

"We swam over."

Some were fooled, others weren't. All in all it was fun though.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

That would be part of the reason the next generation of aussies seem to embrace American culture in front of ours.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister told some American kids when she was a summer camp counsellor over there that we had a Koala for a pet
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Bugger off Cruizin. The US funding the war would have been out of their spare change.

I recently got back from the US and found the people quite nice and pretty knowledable on Australia. In fact the majority of people we spoke to about it knew someone here or atleast had been here. I found them to be very helpful people and fairly polite. Not counting the side of the road vendors in New York.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

REMINDER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
P.S. Please don't turn this into an anti-America thread
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #7
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

My fiance is American , so I may be little biased , but I fing the US is A hugely interesting place for me . I am planning to be over there for Christmas this year . My girl seems to know a fair bit about some of the stuff going on over here , so they seem to have a fair amount of international content !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

They probably have more international content than we do.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN

They then went on to talk about how many Americans believe that we have kangaroos bouncing down every street, and how it's because they are exposed to very little about anything beyond their own borders.
How many Australians think that there is sheep in New Zealands cities?
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Isn't that your red light district?
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
gozza

ive been to america
west coast..LA..vegas..pheonix....they all seemed interesed in you when they found out u were aussie...most were nice and kind...only thing is we(was in a touring music group) sat down for breakkie the 1st couple fo days and all you could eat was sugury croissaints and mud cake things....were like damn..you got any bread or weet bixs?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
buickman
buickman

If I had my way I would live there 6 months & Australia for 6 months of the year I"ve been there 8 times & driven around the whole country in 2002 & 2004. The upper east coast states & Montana are the most scenic parts.

My biggest grip is TIPPING for everything over there.

Worst cities L.A, Alanta, New orleans ( sleaze with a capital ) Dallas & the worst city in the states is Gary Indiana where Micheal Jackson grew up.
No wonder he has issues.

The biggest problem is their schooling & media coverage is mainly about the U.S so only if something major happens here most that have not travelled would not have a clue about Australia

By the way most people that bag the Bush goverment on the Katrina disaster. Should look towards pointing the finger at the Mayor & Governor of Louisianna. A interesting artical from the Wall street journal about it.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Nah mate, we've got Kangaroos too, remember, we're one of the smaller bits of Australia :yeees:
Old 10-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Talking

Quote:
im an aussie and i wouldn't imagine any (or very few) sheep in the actual city. but go for a cruze out of the city and i'd prolly find a few.

about 2 years ago when i was in yr 12 we had a couple of canadian chicks over here as exchange students and before they arrived they did actually think there was kangaroos everywhere (in cities) and we had them as pets n stuff. So it makes a lot of sense that the US think the same thing.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I lived over there for years, and in regards to the media you are correct, and the smaller the city, the more focused the news is on local content. It also depends on what you are watching. CNN and PBS are the best to watch for international content. Canada was the same in regards to local content.

In the larger cities, you would get the old dope who thought australia was part of Germany, but mostly people had a basic idea of what australia was about(Even if they couldnt point to it on a map, and thought you could drive across it in a day)

In the smaller cities and towns though, noone knew jack. In canada i was always confused with a "newfie"(From Newfoundland) and was often referred to as that "F^%*ing Newfie Bouncer" when I was working in the bar.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #16
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
Isn't that your red light district?

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I read this really interesting book which covered the American media called True Lies, by a independent news organization exposing the mainstream American media, like the 2000 Election (no, not like Michael Moore did) and the 9/11 events, good read.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
My biggest grip is TIPPING for everything over there.
Isnt it what. for people who have never been there. You land in the US, and either take a cab or shuttle to your hotel. Thats your first tip, if you take a shuttle the tip is usually $1 per bag of luggage, if you take the taxi I worked off %10. You arrive at your hotel and the bellhops (not sure if thats their technical name) load your bags on a trolley and push it into the foyer for you to sign in, then they push it to your room. Another tip here, usually $1 per bag is the expected amount. You get settled in your hotel room and decide its time to enjoy a meal at a restaurant. You catch a taxi to the restaurant and its another %10 tip. At the end of said meal your up for another expected tip of %10-20 depending on the meal and service. Most places if you have a larger group automatically include the tip in the bill. You catch a taxi back to the Hotel and yet another %10 tip. You hit the sack tired after your flight and dinner. In the morning you leave the room to go sight seeing and even then, it is customary to leave a $3 tip on the pillow for the maids. And then it all starts again.

Tipping can get expensive. And if in a situation where you dont tip and its expected they will even ask for it.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
ImpulseTaco
n00b

yes, our media is insane. thats why I don't even watch mainstream much anymore. The internet is an awesome new alternative for news.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
460cixy
burn out king

the misses went over there and some chick on a bus asked if we have t.v and live in houses and like "normal" ppl. wtf? and tipping? what dumb **** came up with that. and its prety rude to ask fo it too.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #21
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Tipping came about because wages just havent gone up there over time. They have stayed around the same, yet the cost of living has increased. So they get tips to supplement their wages.

I heard whilst over there that in some posh restaurants, the serving staff actually pay the restaurant to work there because the tips are so good it is all the wage they need.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.