Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy I Failed!!!

Well I've got my first set of uni assignments back today.. And i failed the first component.. damn finance!!! I failed mostly due to my inability to understand depreciation (well lets face it i did by a car that had the original retail value of $3700, and i brought it 30 years later for $3000!) The worst thing is I worked my butt off on this, knowing that all things mathematical isn't my forte and it still went pear-shaped!! Oh well.. back to the books :

Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Sorry to hear that mate, I know the feeling, went for my Queensland Fire and Rescue apptitude test and failed the characteristics exam by 1 point!! and i can' try again for another 12 months...I'm gutted...don't give up Melz..you will get there in the end :

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org

Last edited by vino3o2; 05-09-2005 at 03:09 PM.
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Sorry to hear Mel

Keeping kicking though!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Don't worry man, i had the same thing happen to me for my maths test while at tafe, i studied my a55 off even got tutoring and help from the teachers, comes exam day and i thought i did bloody good, if anything i thought i would get probably 1 or 2 wrong, well as it turns out i got 23% (should of got 85%+) i have never felt so sick in the guts as i did that day, even the teacher knew how hard i had been trying and felt real bad giving it to me.
lol i didn't get 1 answer wrong on my army tests though and i even did the extra questions...weird

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

A lot of people don;t do well in their first semester. It's hard getting a hang of what they expect of you, and how to put it across, let alone all the new concepts you're learning.

Don't get worried about it - Keep kicking!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats your assignment worth mate?? Hopefully you can still make it up in the end of year exams? If not, go have a chat to your lrcturer about doing the assignment again or something so you can pass it. Explain that you understand the material of the subject, but encountered some diffuculties with the assignment and would like to have the opertunity to have another go.

P.S. go to the bar and have a beer or two... wont help you pass, but will help you forget that u are failing. LOL.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Tough break. I failed 1st year finance... a little concerning at the time considering I was in a banking and finance degree.

It's only 1 assignement tho, so hopefully you still have another chance?? Compulsory subject??

Live and learn heh?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Assignment is worth 20% of my end of year... and yes its a compulsory subject that the lecturer won't let me sit it again :( Which kinda sucks cause im studying to be a viticultural consultant... finance stuff doesn't really worry me.. i know it is necessary but the assignment we were given wasn't even related to what im doing... the depreciation of a rotary dairy!!!! Hmm.. im going to milk my wine grapes today.. doesn't really work!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Assignment is worth 20% of my end of year... and yes its a compulsory subject that the lecturer won't let me sit it again :( Which kinda sucks cause im studying to be a viticultural consultant... finance stuff doesn't really worry me.. i know it is necessary but the assignment we were given wasn't even related to what im doing... the depreciation of a rotary dairy!!!! Hmm.. im going to milk my wine grapes today.. doesn't really work!
They should have grown the grapes in a herringbone :

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura

Im pretty sure a viticultuaral consultant would need to be able to advise on the tax advantages of certain financing arrangements, depreciation being a key tax consideration. Should i buy that tractor or lease it?

Tell yourself its important to what you eventually want to do and it'll become a whole lot more interesting.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Remember, when at first you dont succeed. Bribe, Bribe again.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I've got my first set of uni assignments back today.. And i failed the first component.. :
You only fail when you quit / give up, otherwse you have learnt 1 more way not to do it.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well Im battling through my first semester at the moment and am getting Credits, so Im quite happy, in fact Id be happy if I just passed. It's tough stuff, but youll battle throught most people have a tough first year and al lot drop out, but if stick to it not many drop out in the 2nd and 3rd years.

At least that what I've heard. I can also symapthise, I hate maths too. :

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino302
Sorry to hear that mate, I know the feeling, went for my Queensland Fire and Rescue apptitude test and failed the characteristics exam by 1 point!! and i can' try again for another 12 months...I'm gutted...don't give up Melz..you will get there in the end :
Try AVIATION RESCUE and FIREFIGHTING they are recruiting and the training centre is at Brissy airport.PM me if you want details.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Keep at it, you'll get there ....... eventually
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
P.S. go to the bar and have a beer or two... wont help you pass, but will help you forget that u are failing. LOL.
Yep like the sound of that. Mind you wasnt a beer or 2 it was more like 12 or 15.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #17
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Always a good idea to speak to someone who has done the subject before and get an idea of what is expected of your assignments / exams. Also work with friends who are doing the same subject. Always good to bounce ideas off each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #18
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Always a good idea to speak to someone who has done the subject before and get an idea of what is expected of your assignments / exams. Also work with friends who are doing the same subject. Always good to bounce ideas off each other.
Exactly right.

Don't stress you'll be fine, it isn't the end of the world. 20% is not the end of the subject there is still 80% of it to get

ATM I am at my wits with one of my subjects, doing some stupid assignment nwow (god will it ever end) 37 pages and still going :( oh well enough for tonight...

anyways goodluck with the remainder of the subject and remember don't stress just relax, go for a walk then come back and hit the books.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #19
One Drone
Lane HO

Failing on the first semester shouldn't be a big worry (not that I'm saying that it is ok to do ). When you first come to Uni, you're exposed to a whole new way of life and a different set of rules and regulations. Basically you're free, in the first semester you're just figuring out what to do with yourself, converting from School to Uni. It depends on how well you handle change..

I'm sure you'll do better in the second semester. But remember, it isn't all about grades.. It is how much effort you put into it.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #20
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Once you have been at uni long enough you will wonder how you could fail. Im finishing my degree this year (mangement/marketing) yet i got a job in finance.... weird. The real problem is the real world... give bad advice and your screwed! Finance sucks but you get big $$$$
Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Once you have been at uni long enough you will wonder how you could fail. Im finishing my degree this year (mangement/marketing) yet i got a job in finance.... weird. The real problem is the real world... give bad advice and your screwed! Finance sucks but you get big $$$$
Lol, are you licensed to provide such advice? :
Old 06-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #22
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Nah not yet I got all my course stuff in the mail the other day gotta go away and do the courses now.. but work pays for it all I dont give bad advice... yet :P
Old 06-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #23
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I managed to do my modern history HSC exam back to front.
I answered questions about WWI with stuff about WWII and vice versa.
I bet it gave the teachers marking it a good laugh.
Problem was it was my best subject, and the only real chance I had at getting a decent mark.

In my defence, my grandmother had died quite suddenly 2 weeks before the exam, in front of me, after I had spent the whole day alone with her. We were VERY close.
When I told the headmistress about it, and asked to apply for consideration because of it she told me. (word for word)
"I will not accept that as an excuse, the Board of Studies won't either, as she was only your grandmother and 2 weeks is long enough to get over it and start studying again."

I let fly with a string of expletives, smashed a vase on a low table on the way out, and told her where to go.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #24
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Im pretty sure a viticultuaral consultant would need to be able to advise on the tax advantages of certain financing arrangements, depreciation being a key tax consideration. Should i buy that tractor or lease it?

Tell yourself its important to what you eventually want to do and it'll become a whole lot more interesting.
Especially considering that the vast majority of vineyards are owned by professionals such as doctors and lawyers who own it to keep tax down and their BAC up!

But Mel stick in there, if you have the pleasure of doing Cost/Management Accounting you'll enjoy that even less. I did my stink of financial accounting, deprecitation is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and it is probably one of the most important things you'll use in consulting work regarding capital works such as irrigation and processing facilities. Unless you are wanting to be an agronomist, in which case accounting isn't so important.

Dan.

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 01:26 AM   #25
One Drone
Lane HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I managed to do my modern history HSC exam back to front.
I answered questions about WWI with stuff about WWII and vice versa.
I bet it gave the teachers marking it a good laugh.
Problem was it was my best subject, and the only real chance I had at getting a decent mark.

In my defence, my grandmother had died quite suddenly 2 weeks before the exam, in front of me, after I had spent the whole day alone with her. We were VERY close.
When I told the headmistress about it, and asked to apply for consideration because of it she told me. (word for word)
"I will not accept that as an excuse, the Board of Studies won't either, as she was only your grandmother and 2 weeks is long enough to get over it and start studying again."

I let fly with a string of expletives, smashed a vase on a low table on the way out, and told her where to go.
Bugger dude, I can't imagine that happening with me and my grandmother.. It would literally kill me!! Even more so as the BoS/teachers are so bloody insensitive. The education system these days are just shocking, it hasn't grown up along with socity, but that is for a different thread.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #26
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's an old saying, its not wether you fall, but wether you get back up again that counts. Chin up. I failed my second semester of 1st year engineering, but ended up being able to reorganise my plan so that instead of a single major, I come out of uni with a double major in computer systems in 4.5 years, and if I want masters in 5.5. There isn't really that many people who will actually finish their degree in the allotted timeslot, so don't fret, you're not going to get left behind.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt worry about it, I failed corporations law three times straight (they ended up giving me a provisional pass provided I promised to stay away from accounting. Common sense and your character is more important than getting marks IMO

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #28
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Well I've got my first set of uni assignments back today.. And i failed the first component.. damn finance!!! I failed mostly due to my inability to understand depreciation (well lets face it i did by a car that had the original retail value of $3700, and i brought it 30 years later for $3000!) The worst thing is I worked my butt off on this, knowing that all things mathematical isn't my forte and it still went pear-shaped!! Oh well.. back to the books :
I think i see your problems

(1) Your put effort in
(2) Not one mention of doing said work in the uni-bar

Follow the above rules entitled, "the uni way" and you will be allll cruisy

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #29
loxxr6
XB in parts...

My g/f bombed her first semester of uni too. She hasn't been to school for like 10 years so it was her first time back at the books. It sucks big time. The other sucky thing is that they won't even give her back her exam so she can see where she bombed out....How the hell can you learn then ?

...oh and let's not forget her drama's with lecturer's not turning up. Man the money you pay for these people......

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #30
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
My g/f bombed her first semester of uni too. She hasn't been to school for like 10 years so it was her first time back at the books. It sucks big time. The other sucky thing is that they won't even give her back her exam so she can see where she bombed out....How the hell can you learn then ?

...oh and let's not forget her drama's with lecturer's not turning up. Man the money you pay for these people......
you can usualy pay a fee and get your exam back, well thats how it works here

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post