Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
martyauxr8ute

Default FG Falcon - whaddya reckon?

new member here and am impressed with the breadth and depth of knowledge being put forward on all things ford!! so i thought i'd ask what the general opinion of the fg model is. seems to me to have the looks to become one of the classics and must be far enough along the model run to have most problems sorted out. interested to hear you thoughts. cheers, marty.

martyauxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

gday marty, welcome to the forums. Im not sure what the FG has to do with the AU forum. It might be best to address this discussion in the appropriate FG section or in the Pub.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
martyauxr8ute

ahh, gotcha ! the forums are just huge and still finding my way around. still, as an au owner i was interested what other au fans might think of the latest. gotta be an improvement over ba / bf. cheers.
Old 28-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I too am an AU owner and being totally honest, i am not overly impressed. I wasnt overly impressed with the BA either... The BA XR6T was a let down to me with the "power" increase... and the FG just doesnt have the feel of the road to it...
Old 28-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing I find with the FG (and the BA for that matter) is that is does everything so brilliantly that it doesn't immediately impress (if that makes sense).

It isn't until after you've driven them, had time to take them in, and then comparing it your current drive that you appreciate just how good they are.
I remember the first time I took a BA Turbo for a drive.
While driving it I wasn't impressed and was a little disappointed...and while I was driving it I kept thinking that my old EF XR6 was the better car.
I wasn't until I got back into the EF XR6 and started driving it that I realised just how bloody good the BA turbo was (is).

The only disappointing thing for me in the FG is some on the interior fit and finish is a little ordinary where you expect it not to be.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I'd have an FG turbo whatever any day.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyauxr8ute
ahh, gotcha ! the forums are just huge and still finding my way around. still, as an au owner i was interested what other au fans might think of the latest. gotta be an improvement over ba / bf. cheers.
Personally I have never owned a B or F series before so I couldnt say too much. But I have driven a BA XR6t and found them to be good, but felt heavy compared to my AU. Dont ask me why but they just felt FAT. Im sure with a flash tune that feeling would disappear quick.

As far as the FG is concerned, I have rented a G6E before and found it alot better. Very compliant on the road and quiet. Plenty of power from the NA 6 too for daily commuting.

My pick if I had to choose would be the G6E turbo. Luxury and power rolled into 1.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I too am an AU owner and being totally honest, i am not overly impressed. I wasnt overly impressed with the BA either... The BA XR6T was a let down to me with the "power" increase... and the FG just doesnt have the feel of the road to it...
LOL. Whats the best Ford AU power wise? A 220kw S3 XR8? BA XR6T has 240kw from memory with equal or probably more torque.

FG is a great car and even looks half decent in XT guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I'd have an FG turbo whatever any day.
Yeap, if the G6ET came in a manual id get that though. The F6 is out of this world but the cash you save with a XR6T you could do some serious mods.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

This thread really should be in another part of the forums but......meh :hihi:

Having owned an AU and now in an FG there is so much difference that as somebody said above, you dont actually notice it until you get in something else. My parents have a BF with the ZF auto and while I still had my AU it was a great car (still is), but compare it to my FG now and it feels almost agricultural.

I miss my AU like crazy because it was pure nuts and bolts driving - yes it had leather, AC etc but it was a real driving experience. The FG spoils you as a driver so much that every so often you just have to plant the foot and be thrown back in the seat to remind yourself that it is a very capable car. That's my excuse anyway.
Old 28-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL. Whats the best Ford AU power wise? A 220kw S3 XR8? BA XR6T has 240kw from memory with equal or probably more torque.
250kw T3 would be the most powerful AU.
Old 28-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
250kw T3 would be the most powerful AU.
I knew someone would be on to that, very true but its not a Ford nor a Falcon, just ask the T series guys...

I meant Ford as in not Tickford/FPV.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
martyauxr8ute

yeah , i guess refinement is what you'd expect to come with age ,(i'm 50, lol), and from what you say this is apparant in the driving of the later models. appeal is something a bit different. just looking at the second hand adds for xr's there are loads of ba/bf on offer while it's nearly impossible to find , say , an xr8 rebel in the classifieds. the au has a certain classyness even 10 years on that the others seem to have lost earlier. just my impression anyway. . .
Old 28-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Dont get me wrong the S3 XR8 is the pick of the bunch, and perhaps to some degree it is a bit edgier than the BA.

But comparing previous models is hard because they are built for the market at that point in time with the tech available.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
I knew someone would be on to that, very true but its not a Ford nor a Falcon, just ask the T series guys...

Even the XR's fall under the Tickford guise... so the most powerful Falcon Non-Tickford would be the SR 5.0ltr... inwhich i own a series 2 version.

But i was only speaking from my point of view... not one stating techical differences... and working for Toyota, i get to drive many different model cars from all the camps... I drove a new Prius today and was so damn glad to get out of the thing, i ran to the work ute (09 hilux) and hugged it infront of my manager lol... i am not one to be easily impressed with a car and go over them with a fine tooth comb... i like what i like... and just offered my opinion upon what i personally like.

BTW, that wasnt pointed towards Polyal... it was just a general statment for those who wanted to read it... :P
Old 28-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m a bit of an fg fan myself, it seems to me ford paid attention to some gripes with previouse models that probably are`nt always apparent at first glance, door entrys for example, earlier models got criticised for this, yet still managed to make a neat looking car, more power more fuel economy across the range not too mention safety enhancements and other things, after 4 years owning my au i still look forward to driving it (something about au`s), but i`d have an fg in heart beat ....and another welcome to the forums Marty.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
martyauxr8ute

thanks milk and others too. this is a great online community dealing with one of my fav subjects. always loved fords since i saw allan moffat clean sweep the field at bathurst in the 70's. yeh, i was there as a young'n, and saw the mustang in action at easter. cheers
Old 28-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyauxr8ute
thanks milk
Old 28-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
martyauxr8ute

lol, mik. yeah, eyes aren't the only thing showing their age either.
Old 28-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Correct and this has been well discussed before. As for the FG im still not a fan of the rear of the FG sedans, but the utes well thats another story i think they are an awesome package IMO. Only gripe is they need wider wheels on the rear
Old 28-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Correct and this has been well discussed before.
Oh dear lord..........

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

AU-FG = Chalk-cheese.

my family has owned nearly every falcon model from EA-FG and a few prior to that too.

anyway my mums old AU and my AU had very little on my dads BA, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on his new FG GT.

build quality, fit, finish, power, comforts, everything, the FG is far superior and i hope to purchase it off him in a few years when he sells up.
Old 28-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Even the XR's fall under the Tickford guise... so the most powerful Falcon Non-Tickford would be the SR 5.0ltr... inwhich i own a series 2 version.

175kW vs 240kW

not much of a power increase :togo:

Quote:
i am not one to be easily impressed with a car and go over them with a fine tooth comb... iP
except for your blue taxi... lol
Old 29-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #23
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Having owned an AU and now in an FG there is so much difference that as somebody said above, you dont actually notice it until you get in something else. My parents have a BF with the ZF auto and while I still had my AU it was a great car (still is), but compare it to my FG now and it feels almost agricultural.

I miss my AU like crazy because it was pure nuts and bolts driving - yes it had leather, AC etc but it was a real driving experience. The FG spoils you as a driver so much that every so often you just have to plant the foot and be thrown back in the seat to remind yourself that it is a very capable car. That's my excuse anyway.
I'm sorta with this line of thought.
I really like the AU because of the good mix between refinement and character.
I haven't driven or even been inside a FG as yet, and probably won't likely do so for some time as I have no interest in changing from my current ride for a long time.
However I did own a BA for a few years, and whilst it was a fine car, it left me cold.

By comparison to the similar model AU's I owned, the BA was too refined for me, soulless, unresponsive, lack of feedback, etc.
I suspect the FG has headed in the same direction as that's where all new cars are going.

Now, that's just me, as most people prefer the refinement, however there are some people who crave even less refinement than the AU. Some people prefer the rawness of a XY GT.
But, it's all progress, and we all purchase whatever gives us a woody, and that for me at the moment is my AU. I'm sure that will change in time.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
175kW vs 240kW

not much of a power increase :togo:
I just didnt like the delivery of the power compaired to my own car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
except for your blue taxi... lol
That i got screwed in... and for that reason, i will not shop via photograph again... people can be so dishonest...
Old 29-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

That i got screwed in... and for that reason, i will not shop via photograph again... people can be so dishonest...
v8 and turbo 6 applies power differently.

have you driven a boss? i think the power delivery of that, the 260 and now 315 shat all over the 5L windsors we had. even with their lack of down low the top end rush had it all over me :

each to their own but.
Old 29-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
have you driven a boss? i think the power delivery of that, the 260 and now 315 shat all over the 5L windsors we had. even with their lack of down low the top end rush had it all over me :
A BOSS with the bottom end power of a Windsor and the sound of one would have me 100% sold. I'd never sell it if I had one like that.

Windsor is THE best sounding out of the 2 no question.
Old 29-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
martyauxr8ute

without having driven an fg yet i'd have to say that if a liquid injection lpg donk ever finds its way into an xr6 i'd be sorely tempted to park one next to my au xr8 ute. if its rumored equality of performance and economy is correct its gotta be a winner with a big market segment. of course, can't always rely on the govt not to mess about with lpg prices . . .
Old 29-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #28
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've driven an xr6t and a povo variant stock au v8, of the two I found the xr6t delivered power, in my opinion the 5.0L 175kw windsor just didn't, maybe this is me just being a spoiled sport as usual, using reality and not pretending my car is the best in the world.

Sorry all I'll come to the party..... Drove a $120k merc a few months back, geeze is it's interior so much worse then my povo pack, and it handled worse then any au with stock suspension, not only that but the supercharged four seemed gutless compared to my au 6cyl when stock with k & n and ticky snorkel.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
A BOSS with the bottom end power of a Windsor and the sound of one would have me 100% sold. I'd never sell it if I had one like that.

Windsor is THE best sounding out of the 2 no question.
im torn :( i used to love the sound of the EL2 5L we had but my dads XR8 gave me a fat everytime i hit the loud pedal. the new one sounds unreal too i reckon just too quiet... needs a new exhaust bad lol
Old 29-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I've driven an xr6t and a povo variant stock au v8, of the two I found the xr6t delivered power, in my opinion the 5.0L 175kw windsor just didn't, maybe this is me just being a spoiled sport as usual, using reality and not pretending my car is the best in the world.

Sorry all I'll come to the party..... Drove a $120k merc a few months back, geeze is it's interior so much worse then my povo pack, and it handled worse then any au with stock suspension, not only that but the supercharged four seemed gutless compared to my au 6cyl when stock with k & n and ticky snorkel.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA