Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Protein Diets

I started on a protein diet on Boxing Day. Ive lost about 3kgs in a week. Starting weight 94kg and Im only about 5 foot 8. My ideal weight is about 75kg.

I got down to 75kg from 97kg about 9 years ago and then put it back on over the following 4 years. I've been yoyoing between 90kg and 85kg ever since.

I'm interested to hear whether anyone has lost alot of weight on a diet (say 20kg) and managed to keep it off over the long term.

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
loosey

Default Re: Protein Diets

Most diets are fads. The only real way to lose weight and keep it off is consistency. Two years ago I weighed close to 90kg and decided i wanted to lose weight I ended up losing about 20kg in just under six months. At my lightest I got to 65kg and since then I've put on on nearly 10kg (not fat). When I was losing weight I pretty much stuck exactly to everything the following link tells you to do.
http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newslett...IssueNo37.html
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the summer of 2009/10, I went from 115kg to 85kg ('m 188cm in height). Only made two changes, ate the exact same foods but only ate till I was satisfied rather than for the sake of it, and every single day without fail walked 5km then ran the 5km back to the car. These days I don't run, but I walk the same distance every day and my weight ranges from 85kg to 88kg, even over Christmas!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
I started on a protein diet on Boxing Day. Ive lost about 3kgs in a week. Starting weight 94kg and Im only about 5 foot 8. My ideal weight is about 75kg.

I got down to 75kg from 97kg about 9 years ago and then put it back on over the following 4 years. I've been yoyoing between 90kg and 85kg ever since.

I'm interested to hear whether anyone has lost alot of weight on a diet (say 20kg) and managed to keep it off over the long term.
About 5 years ago the wife decided to get healthy , followed something close to the Dukn diet and in 12 months removed 35kg and now weighs 39 kg less than her starting weight , healthy eating seems to work for her , I followed the same thing and dropped from 138kg to 117kg in 12 months looking for 110 , she is 5'10" and I am 6'4" and kinda large , I hate being hungry
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

In 2008 i was 6 2" and went from 99.8Kg down to 80Kg in about 4 months using the tony Ferguson diet for about 3months and last month (5kg) was just good clean eating proper food!
I still have my first assessment from my personal trainer, 15situps and 3 push ups, body age was 44 at 21.. couldn't even bench 60kg or squat 80kg

At 80kg i realised id gone too far and lost too much muscle so have been on a steady increase since, I now weigh 91kg at 13% BF bench 120x6 squat 180x5 and dead 170x5..
diets are great for loosing weight but to actually keep it off it requires a lifestyle change..
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Jan 1st 2011 I made a new years resolution to lose weight.

I was at about 100kgs and tracked my progress in the AFF weight gain/lose thread in The Bar. I managed to get down to about 60kgs in about 6 months by not drinking alcohol, soft drink and eating healthy. No take away or snacks and power walking an hour a day on the treadmill 5 days a week.

I've put a bit back on since then, currently at around 80kgs as like the guy above, I'd lost to much muscle and although I was thin, I was quite weak.

As said, exercise and healthy living will show results but it needs to be a lifestyle change.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hadn't noticed the sticky on this issue. Mods feel free to delete the thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
z80
Banned

Quote:

Yes it does work, protein diet means no carbohydrate diet.

If you stop carbs you lose weight without exercise.

Carbs...chips,beer,sugar soaked cereals, crusty cakes/breads.

Just common sense really....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosey
Most diets are fads. The only real way to lose weight and keep it off is consistency. Two years ago I weighed close to 90kg and decided i wanted to lose weight I ended up losing about 20kg in just under six months. At my lightest I got to 65kg and since then I've put on on nearly 10kg (not fat). When I was losing weight I pretty much stuck exactly to everything the following link tells you to do.
Totally awesome document. Its very hard to get proper information like this, especially with out paying for it. Thanks loosey for the link.

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
loosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Yes it does work, protein diet means no carbohydrate diet.

If you stop carbs you lose weight without exercise.

Carbs...chips,beer,sugar soaked cereals, crusty cakes/breads.

Just common sense really....
Check out keto diets, exactly what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01
Totally awesome document. Its very hard to get proper information like this, especially with out paying for it. Thanks loosey for the link.
No worries, all his newsletters are informative. Number 57 is good too (from memory). If I was in Melbourne I'd be training at his gym.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That was a top newsletter. Time to start exercising again methinks. I used to play Rugby and was very fit. I haven't done any exercise for 4 years!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
chrisfpv

That link is actually pretty decent, was a good read.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Cheers for the link, great read.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

I have basically paid some good money to get....Very simular info, a specific diet plan, a very specific 12 week exercise program. I thought I knew the best way to loose weight. I was wrong. This appears the best way (read the link) I am about to embark on this mission (as per link)

12 months ago I saw a friend of mine for the first time in 2 years. He had lost 20 kg. WOW, look at you I said. 12 months on, I saw him again, which was today actually, he had put the 20 kg back on. Double chin and spare tyre.

As I have found though past (and others experience), there is a right way and a wrong way to loose fat. Any one can diet but to loose fat and keep it off is another story. This appears to be the correct story.

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good read and pretty much what any diet article in a body building mag will tell you. And it goes without saying look at the physique of professional sprinter versus a marathon runner, one looks good the other is just skinny.

But I do consider this pretty hardcore, you can look lean, feel great, by eating less and doing three good gym sessions and a few sprint sessions a week. We don't all want to win a body sculpting competition and I do like the odd beer.

Hard to convince people that you WILL burn more fat for longer doing weight training, even just 1/2 hour if you smash it doing reps to complete failure (but you really need a spotter).
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Invest in some metamucil , It will help with farting
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Can possibly ask my mate about how he did this if you like.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
Dr Jekkyl

I felt the need to embark on writing an essay on metabolism but that link explains well the take home message: restrictive diets are counter-productive!

Not sure that I like some of the terminology used - these trainer types can't seem to see beyond reverse psychology as a motivational tool. Anyway, here is some more scientific info for those that care.

Our muscles are comprised many muscle fibres, of which there are several types. For simplicity I will call them red and white. These differ in their 'fuel' preference - red fibres preferentially burn fat. It follows then that more red fibres means more fat burning, even at rest. This is the basis behind raising the BMR.

Weights are one way to do this but cycling and walking are also excellent. Cycling also gives your cardiovascular system a good workout!
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl
Not sure that I like some of the terminology used - these trainer types can't seem to see beyond reverse psychology.
Yeah not sure where that comes from..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've read alot of posts made by Markos (owner of PTC Frankston) on Ausbb.com. I'd be training at PTC as well if I was still living on the peninsula...

I'm undertaking his starting strength program, aiming to have all those lifts done by June this year...
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Can possibly ask my mate about how he did this if you like.

Thats great, whats the story behind it mate?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
Hally

Interesting thread and interesting link to the article.

On 15 November 2011, I started a new job and decided I needed to lose some weight. Starting point was 148.3kg, the heaviest I had been ever. As of this morning I weighed in at 132.8 and feeling much better for it.

What have I done?

- completely changed my eating habits and the food I eat. No snacking on junk foods, 50% drop in portion size, eating predominantly unprocessed meet and vegtables and have dropped my carb intake by about 70%.
- still have a pasta (my favourite) at least once a week. maybe twice if I feel like it. Carbs are important for brain function so I am told.
- Walking. Doing abut 4 - 6kms a day brisk walking. The dog loves it.
- Some light weights before I go to bed.
- Most importantly for me, not applying to much pressure on myself. If I want a beer or a nice meal with friends I have it. It is all the in-between stuff that I have cut out that I used to have. The KFC, Macca's, chips, vanilla slices etc.

It is interesting to note that know i find it relatively easy to feel full when eating and am not craving anuthing sweet etc.

I hope to get down to 100kg by the end of the year but more importantly increase my fitness massively.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
Thats great, whats the story behind it mate?
No real story, one day he just decided to stop drinking regular coke and switched to diet, then kept making little changes, then smashed out heaps of gym and then a year and a bit later, that's what he looks like!

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Atkins diet is not very good for you, it creates allot of acid in the body that used the calcium in the bones to neutralise. Whole foods, and preferably plant based whole foods are a good start.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
No real story, one day he just decided to stop drinking regular coke and switched to diet, then kept making little changes, then smashed out heaps of gym and then a year and a bit later, that's what he looks like!
Bingo!!! Give the man a cigar. When its all said and one, this is what it comes down to. It staggers me that there's a weight loss industry now that generates the GDP of several African nations that is founded on turning a relatively simple issue into a mind-numbingly confusing one. High protein, low protein, high carb, low carb, whatever. Most of it is utter BS. There's more snake oil salespeople in this game than any other. Period. At the end of the day, the mathematics is simple........burn more energy than you stuff down your gob. Inevitably, it means bypassing the coke, the fish 'n chips on a Friday night, the Saturday pizza, or the 500 gram ribeye stead washed down with a bottle of red.

At the other end of the scale, its getting off your butt and going for a bike ride, or going for a run, or flogging yourself at the gym. Either way, the fittest people you see on TV don't get that way by loafing on the couch whilst eating a family size pizza with extra anchovies and cheese. Its called reality, and it hurts. I know.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #26
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you are training for something specific, diets are silly and unnecessary.

No carbs, no protein, no fats, calorie counting, liquid form, 6 meals a days, 8 week food plan, blah blah blah. All a bunch of unnecessary crap that confuses people.

No wonder you get those people that tell you they have tried every diet there is. There are only a few simple rules to follow to lose weight. And you normally find out after talking to the people trying to lose weight that they break them consistently.

Last edited by GreenR; 09-01-2012 at 12:35 AM.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Bingo!!! Give the man a cigar. When its all said and one, this is what it comes down to. It staggers me that there's a weight loss industry now that generates the GDP of several African nations that is founded on turning a relatively simple issue into a mind-numbingly confusing one. High protein, low protein, high carb, low carb, whatever. Most of it is utter BS. There's more snake oil salespeople in this game than any other. Period. At the end of the day, the mathematics is simple........burn more energy than you stuff down your gob. Inevitably, it means bypassing the coke, the fish 'n chips on a Friday night, the Saturday pizza, or the 500 gram ribeye stead washed down with a bottle of red.

At the other end of the scale, its getting off your butt and going for a bike ride, or going for a run, or flogging yourself at the gym. Either way, the fittest people you see on TV don't get that way by loafing on the couch whilst eating a family size pizza with extra anchovies and cheese. Its called reality, and it hurts. I know.
Exactly what I have been saying in the other thread.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have done a few ketogenic diets before. Worked a treat. Uaually dropped 20 kg in about 10 - 15 weeks, depending on the exercise levels.

They are great, but you have to stick to a low calorie diet after and slowly wean your body back onto carbs and rwefined sugars, otherwise your body unlearns everything and reverts back to the starvation mode and hoards the energy from fats and protein, while lazily using the easy to burn sugars etc.

I am back onto a weighloss regime... after doing ketosis a number of times I decided it's better to just burn the energy off. It will take longer, but riding to work twice a week (about 2200 calroies burned there and back) and gyming twice a week, and kickboxing twice a week.

At the end of the day, the ketogenic diets work damn well, but I kick back onto beer after and have always put the weight back on... at least with a high energy burn regime it helps build muscle and cardio fitness, as well as bone density and releases all the happy hormones.

God luck! Keep us updated with the progress.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

It's easier being fat then fit and it's only one letter different. And it's a vowel you can buy one of them.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #30
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm currently dropping 35kg through a balanced calorie controlled diet. Lite'n'easy. I've been on low carb diets and they suck, no energy to exercise. So far I've dropped 16kg in 7 weeks. Another 10 weeks should see me around my weight loss goal of 85kg. Then and only then will I start bulking on muscle. I've tried bulking on muscle whilst losing weight and it does my head in.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post