Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
AU3FAIRMONT

Exclamation au1, au2, or au3

What is the better car? AU1, AU2, AU3?

I own a au 3 fairmont and its a great car. wondering people's thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

You would assume that the AU3 would be the pick of the bunch as all the inherent issues of the AU would have been well and truely sorted by then.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The AU seires like most was a process of gradual refinement.

The big changes were AUI to AUII where the styling mistake of a big differentiation between low and high series cars was fixed.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not much difference between an AU2 or AU3. Biggest difference between the 2 and 3 was in the XR range where the rebel kit was standard on XR8 (previously optional), 200kw motor in the utes and 220 kw motor in the AU3 - though these were running changes towards the end of the AU2 lifecycle anyway.

As far as base model to Fairmont Ghia goes, some colour coding may have become standard (though not even sure about that), but mechanicals and body were the same. The only reason you would buy an AU3 over an AU2 is because the AU3 is newer. The AU1 had a few teething problems (though far less than the BA) and the brakes are way too small - nothing DBA/RDA etc can't fix though.

I would buy either an AU2 or 3 over an AU1, though I have both an AU1 (XR8) and AU2 (Forte wagon). I used to have a VS2 berlina, and even the Forte craps all over that in terms of comfort, features (apart from cilmate control a/c) and performance.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
palah
FirstFordAu2VCT

Tried the Au1 Ford Fairmont when new and for $50k walked away and knew Ford was in trouble (personal opinion - refinement was terrible for the $$). Drove various Au1's last year as looking for 2nd hand car and due to large depeciation fairmont ghias were good value. Drove a series 2 Ghia and brought it - upgrades to that model made a big improvement to drivability (especially brakes) and refinement very noticable after driving 4 different series AU1 models days/week before it. have not driven Au3 so cannot comment but i would never buy the first model out from Ford or Holden ever and usually the last of the series are the best... my two cents worth
Blue AU2 Fairmont Ghia - stock standard and staying that way (maybe)- Experience :eclipsee_ has shown " why spend heaps of money on a car :gren:- WHY NOT BUY ONE SECOND HAND (THAT SOMEBODY ELSE HAS SPENT the $$$$$) _ FOR 'A FRACTION OF THE PRICE'!!!
palah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AUI are going really cheap now. I see heaps of AUI XR's going for easily 10 to 13g's
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post