Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: Will AU XR8 220's be a collectable car.

Since the muscle car boom in 2007/2008 everyone has been trying to crystal ball what to collect for the next boom who knows when.

My personal opinion is to see what today's 18-25yo car nuts are lusting after because they may be the boom cars when those people get into the cashed up middle age. Or they may not.......

Look at the last muscle car boom, this is my theory.

Guys in their middle age became nostalgic of their youth and all the cool cars they grew up on. They decided they wanted their XA GT back or whatever it was they had to sell because of life's responsibilities (forced or not). They scraped and saved, put kids through school and paid off (or almost paid off) mortgages. House prices boomed and suddenly guys had a heap of cash to access. He thinks "I really miss that XA GT I had when I was 19, I want it back". He finds a good one and is happy to pay the asking price because he can afford it.

Trouble is, a few thousand other middle aged guys got the same idea. Result?? Prices for those type and era of cars went North big time!! We have a boom.

Now prices have abated a bit. Although some cars are still worth good money I personally doubt we'll see the silly prices of a couple of years ago. The speculators are out there advertising collectable cars for huge money but in the most part, folks are being a lot more considered in deciding what to shell out their hard earned on.

Will such a boom happen with cars from the '90's and onward? I doubt it. Different generation and different attitudes.

To the OP. My opinion is that a 220kw AU XR8 will not be collectable but will be sought after. Certainly not worth mothballing for who knows how long for waiting for the next boom.

You obviously really like this car and love driving it. It sounds like a good 'un so purely on that basis just keep it and enjoy it.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear you guys on the collectable bit. I'm under no illusions, these cars will never be the next GTHO.

Hopefully their value will stabilise a bit before they hit ex-taxi prices.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #33
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Since the muscle car boom in 2007/2008 everyone has been trying to crystal ball what to collect for the next boom who knows when.

My personal opinion is to see what today's 18-25yo car nuts are lusting after because they may be the boom cars when those people get into the cashed up middle age. Or they may not.......

Look at the last muscle car boom, this is my theory.

Guys in their middle age became nostalgic of their youth and all the cool cars they grew up on. They decided they wanted their XA GT back or whatever it was they had to sell because of life's responsibilities (forced or not). They scraped and saved, put kids through school and paid off (or almost paid off) mortgages. House prices boomed and suddenly guys had a heap of cash to access. He thinks "I really miss that XA GT I had when I was 19, I want it back". He finds a good one and is happy to pay the asking price because he can afford it.

Trouble is, a few thousand other middle aged guys got the same idea. Result?? Prices for those type and era of cars went North big time!! We have a boom.

Now prices have abated a bit. Although some cars are still worth good money I personally doubt we'll see the silly prices of a couple of years ago. The speculators are out there advertising collectable cars for huge money but in the most part, folks are being a lot more considered in deciding what to shell out their hard earned on.

Will such a boom happen with cars from the '90's and onward? I doubt it. Different generation and different attitudes.

To the OP. My opinion is that a 220kw AU XR8 will not be collectable but will be sought after. Certainly not worth mothballing for who knows how long for waiting for the next boom.

You obviously really like this car and love driving it. It sounds like a good 'un so purely on that basis just keep it and enjoy it.

very well said. collectible is also made deemed by demand and supply.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
By the time that the 220s become collectable, anything with a Petrol V8 in it will be collectable.
hahahahhahahaha. so true. Europe plan on having no pretty cars by 2050 im pretty sure.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Guys stay on topic and play nice or don't play at all

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Care to give us a short explanation Monkey?
I cant sorry. AFF 'reply to thread' doesnt allow me to put in any less than 4 characters for a replay

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I dont think they will become a collectable like the earlier GT's, but with the limited numbers around, I think they are a bit sought after even now by people.
People who know just how sweet a ride and good overall package, and as time goes by and the attrician rate takes more away they will become more sought.

As said above, there was only around 350 S3 manual XR8's and 950 auto S3 XR8's made, and how many of those now are left?

I know theres also a decent number that no longer have their complete Rebel body kits either because they dont make them anymore and every hit in the back usually spells the end of that part.. Once thats gone, the cars then missing a part of its uniqueness IMHO.

Id say price wise, they have bottomed out, that price will fluctuate somewhat with the quality of the example for sale, but I dont see em going less than they are now.. Their a lotta car for the $$ thats for sure.

To the OP, Id keep it and continue to enjoy it, no point in selling it and theres nothing better in the later models Falcs unless you wanna spend GT money.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #38
T3man
Banned

Fair dinkum ... the Rebel kit is no longer available? I wasn't aware of that. Dammit I'd better take the one I have off the track car before it gets a hit.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Donny

Yep, no longer available.
I got hit up the back in mine back on sensis day.. Was only a minor hit, but the panel shop tried but couldnt get me a new one.
They even went back to the manufacturer of them in NZ and they dont make em anymore. Ford also have zero stock of em.

Luckily it was only a minor hit and the bumper repair people were able to straighten mine out. The alternative for me and anyone else in the same predicament would be to put a series 2 rear bar on it, and then (to me) the cars lost its unique apearance/bodykit..

Id like to purchase a spare, but finding them, then getting one for not drug money and lastly finding one reasonably local makes it a near on impossible task..

Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
urbancowboy

there are fibreglass reproductions! quality isnt as good as a genuine plastic one but appearance is good enough.
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
Donny

from what i heard the quality of the fibreglass ones is terrible and their not worth considering when you factor in the costs to make em look factory.

Old 14-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #42
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno bout being collectable, but I WANT ONE!!! lol
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #43
DaveTE
Back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
apart from the stroked engine from the T3 series, what makes these such a legendary car?
T1 and T2 did not have the stroker. They are still sort after vehicles. T3 had the stroker and in your face body kit but lost out on some of the luxuries and other enginering items of their predessors. All three are limited build and limited in numbers. The Brembo brake package also makes them an interesting vehicle. All in all they were the pinacle of the AU model. I own both an XR8 and a TE50 and while I love both, the T-series is worlds apart from the XR in so many ways, all of them positive. Though for me the XR8 twin headlight is still my favourite feature of any AU.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #44
T3man
Banned

^^^^^^^^
what he said
Old 14-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTE
Though for me the XR8 twin headlight is still my favourite feature of any AU.
Same for me.
I have the the AU2/3 XR front inline with the XA GT front as the best looking Falcon ever made.
I think this is the only thing a T series is missing.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
T3man
Banned

The best two fronts for me are the AU II/III XR and the P5LTD/Landau.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #47
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR front still takes me back to Craig Lowndes green eyed monster everytime, so menacing looking, thats what really attracts me to this model. I'm neither here nor there with the *** end on them
Old 14-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #48
T3man
Banned

Murph> I just leave that end for the HSV drivers to ponder as it gets smaller in the distance ahead of them.
Old 14-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #49
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
The XR front still takes me back to Craig Lowndes green eyed monster everytime, so menacing looking, thats what really attracts me to this model. I'm neither here nor there with the *** end on them
Actually, I really even like the bum on the XR8 220, or what is known as a Rebel.
The bumper on those again looks even better than the T bum IMO.

But probably Fords finest bum are the early Mustangs.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #50
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Murph> I just leave that end for the HSV drivers to ponder as it gets smaller in the distance ahead of them.

we can only hope so .............
Old 16-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #51
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think the AU's will ever become "collectible". Those days are gone of the bathurst homologation limited production cars like the GTHO's and GTS Monaro's and E49 Chargers and the like.

The AU XR8's were mass produced with no limited numbers. yes, the T series were limited, but don't have the pedigree. (really Ford should have released limited V8 supercars green eyed monster editions or something).

In saying that, I think the AU's will become more desirable because they were not desirable if you know what i mean. I love turning up to events/circuits in my AU2 XR8 because 9 times out of 10 its the only one there. They all bloody commondores, or BA/BF or ricers.

I consider it unique, and talking others at these events most say, geez the AU XR8 really is a underated car.

I think current owners of the later AU's (series 2 and 3) and T series just need keep it looking prestine and enjoy it. You will get the looks it deserve, amongst all the hooned up dunnydoorss.
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, it looks like the old XR8 will be getting a major service, having its original wheels & suspension put back in & resuming its daily driver role.

I will be on the lookout for a BA/BF GT manual or a T3 TE50 manual over the next few months to keep it company in the garage. Cant wait

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
Kidsgts

Just stumbled on this thread and being a HAPPY owner of an AU series 2 XR8 with the 220 motor with now 180k + kms me done about 1000k my wife the rest in it since new.
To me I say they'd never be collectable (unfortunatley) but have to agree with alot of you on the ride and performance of these vehicles.
I could go out and update it but choose to drive it to it's death as it's been so reliable and probably good for a long time yet.
Enjoy the Au mate as they are underrated by many.
Also IMO the Series 2 XR8 were the best looking out of the 3(Biased maybe ) but I'm not a fan of the AU 3 XR8 bodykit and had the choice of getting a Series 3 but choose the Series 2 when I bought mine(Sorry guys).Not to mention that I saved 8k on the price.+ With 60,000km FREE scheduled servicing.

Give me a T3 anyday to drive everyday.

Frank.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #54
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my new series II AU XR8 fully optioned will be highly sought after! Sought after by me! Shes a real hum dinga, and i can wait to be driving her home next Friday!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #55
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
Well my new series II AU XR8 fully optioned will be highly sought after! Sought after by me! Shes a real hum dinga, and i can wait to be driving her home next Friday!
Make sure the wife likes it before doing the whole song and dance routine again
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #56
markxr6t

In my humble opinion, the AU 220, particularly the series 3, will eventually become as desirable as an ED XR8 Sprint is now. Don't know if "desirable" is the same as collectable though...

I base my opinion on:
1. It was internationally Ford's final factory installation of a 5.0 / 302 Windsor and perhaps the Windsor's finest hour other than the T series T3.
2. The whole individually hand - built thing and signature plate.
3. Unique bits like Tickford engraved 70mm throttle body, engine oil cooler and 220 engine cover mean that being "genuine" will be important.
4. With only 350 odd Series III manuals made - such low numbers support future desirability.
5. The unique frontal treatment also enhances its exclusivity from other AUs.

In fact, I've just bought a manual series 3 XR8 for significantly less than $10k and I can't think of anything else that so effectively combines old school muscle with modern engineering, refinement, safety and dynamics. Also have a SII XR8 auto dual fuel that I love. Not sure how long I can keep 2 XR8s for....

In summary, I think it does fall into the category of cars that you may sell now and in 20 years wish you still had it or ogle over examples at car shows or that drive by. Its these emotions that drive old car prices up.
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #57
BHDOGS
Banned

I don't much about it but was the t-series limited deliberately or just didn't sell well?

As for collectibility maybe on this site but not by many other people I personally wouldn't pay 15-20 grand for a t or even less for a nice au xr8 when you can get a ba typhoon for 20 there's no competion just my opinion tho I'd say xr6t will be the new hero cars for a while thats what all the kids seem to think is cool
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #58
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxr6t
In fact, I've just bought a manual series 3 XR8 for significantly less than $10k
too bad most other owners arent selling them for that price or id be driving one now instead of the ghia although the interior is miles above the XR...

go on carsales, everyone seems to think a half decent example is already a collectable...... 13-15k, no thanks !!.. especially with the option boxes left blank

one must remember its still an ageing generic falcon and being a tickford vehicle deosnt make it immune to needing attention/having to fix stuff

Last edited by AU Mont; 14-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #59
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Make sure the wife likes it before doing the whole song and dance routine again
she approves of the color straight up, I have assured her it is much quieter than the last
Old 14-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #60
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 days to go