Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default How to replace front seat foam

This is a short how to on changing the front drivers seat. As a 'big' guy (or fat to most) the drivers seat was showing its age. The outside back swab foam had worn

and the base had lost the support feel. So I went to the wreckers and bought the back section (drivers side in better nic than mine). This was cheaper than buying the whole seat.

So first remove the front seats (both)

Slide the seat forward and backward to again access to the retaining bolts

and

Unplug the cable at the base of each seat.

with both seats out give the floor a quick vacuum

Next with the seats out, remove the passenger and driver seat bases. they are held on by 4 bolts under each base

The bases just swap straight over. As I hardly ever have a passenger going to and from work the passenger side feels like new.

Next the back section.

Undo the drivers side back rest from the base. Firstly remove the lumber support knob.

next on each side the bolts at the base of the back support (2 on one side, 3 on the other)

Next swap over the cover and inside foam from the donor back section. You will need a pair of wire cutters to remove the retaining clips on the bottom of the back section

As you peel back the seat cover the damage on the driver seat is quite clear.

3/4s of the way up there is a steal rod that holds in the seat cover, again using the wire cutters cut the ties.
Repeat the process to the donor back section. This show the condition of the 'brand new second hand' foam.

Next I repaired the donor cover, I used some tape and glue just to firm it up.

The foam is easy to swap over. Having swapped the foam pull the 'new' cover the foam. I used plastic pull ties to replace the metal ones Ford uses. Re clip the steal rod (sorry no pics). Pulling the seat cover tight, retie the bottom section.

Next bolt the back section back to the base and attach the lumbar support knob

That is it. You put the seats back in. My drivers side base feels a lot firmer and the side is great.

and with seat covers on

Next I might as well use the spare donor steal frame for the passanger side as it has lumber support.

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Awesome writeup UK - can you blow up the photos a bit though pls?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Done
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice work UK!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Default Ta

Thanks GK, Praise indeed

UK
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Another nice job there UK , another for the how to threads , just one more tip, this is what Ford did when my baluster failed after 12 months was to wrap the bars running up the side with a layer of tape to stop it rubbing on it,
must have worked , 8 years on and still going

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 02:04 AM   #7
Tow_Ute XL V8
Starter Motor

Default Re: How to replace front seat foam

I have an XL ute that has pretty sad seats. I was looking to either refurbish what is there or, reaplace wth something aftermarket (Saas or something)

The foam that is used to refurbsh, none of that seems to suit the non-XR6/8 family...

Is there a HUGE difference in the seats themselves that would cause the form from one, not to work with the fabric cover of mine?
Old 13-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Excluding possibly FPV products, the framing of base and backrest is consistent - noting variants that may include lumbar support and side airbags.

Foam has Velcro style “hook strips” bonded to its channels. So the pattern of the foam must match the pattern of the cover stitching.

You can glue in repair chunks with contact adhesive or sometimes polyurethane glue (this can give a hard seam). Foam is best cut in a domestic repair with razor sharp shears IMO.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
Tow_Ute XL V8
Starter Motor

Citroënbender

Thanks heaps for the info. That is great news actually.I would probably not go the "repair chunks" idea I can see how that mighht go down the track...

If I did not get the standard see re-foamed, I would likely look into a sports seat from Saas or Sparco or something like that, similar to what others have done.

Cheers again.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #10
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My recollection is that AU seat trim is hog ringed to inset wire in the foam and not attached with the velcro strip.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 11:23 PM   #11
Tow_Ute XL V8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
My recollection is that AU seat trim is hog ringed to inset wire in the foam and not attached with the velcro strip.
Damn happy I do not have to muck about with that

I watched a "how-to" video and it seems fairly straight forward, albeit tedious.

Cheere for the replies