Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Should I raise an official Police Complaint?

Driving along the highway back to Geelong yesterday doing maybe 103km/h in came across a silver wagon ss commodore undercover police car doing maybe 95km/h in the middle land, went to pass him and he sped up to my speed (I knew he was a cop) so didnt speed up any more. Then I slowed down to 95, so did he, then I sped up to 100, so did he, then 105 so did he, then back down to 100 etc for maybe 5 km!!

What was he trying to do?...(its an easy guess) I couldnt pass him without speeding....

Anyway I thought "good stuff cop" so looked at him shaking my head and holding one of my hands out as in "what are you doing?" then he turned off towards Geelong and I continued down the Geelong ring road.

Now being one to have got a few tickets over time, It would be great to cause some problems for any Policeman doing the wrong thing.

I rang up the Geelong Station issued a complaint, but couldnt really be bothered with all the rigmarole of doing an official one. They said they would have a word to the driver of that car.

Now thinking maybe I should have done the official complaint, they said they would do an investigation if I did an official one.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Official complaint about what ?How can you pass anyone by going the same speed as they are . If you wanted to pass him why not just go past him at 120 otherwise just sit behind him like the rest of us
P.S. There so many drivers who "pass" at speed differential of 3 km/h or less and take ages to do so for no gain apart from their desire to sit in front of you.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 04-03-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
dave289
Banned

Probably not worth wasting your time over such a tool. There are to many for us to waste our life over, just accept there are tools out there and move on. Out of curiuosity how old did he look. You have made a complaint and he will probably get a talking too as he is giving those officers a bad name by doing such a thing and I'm sure most of them would not appreictaite what he is doing. As before ,move on buddy ,tools are not worth wasting your time on.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He wasn't doing anything illegal also why didn't you just ignore him? by you playing around like that you're just drawing his attention to you so of course he's going to stick around and play, waiting.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he was probably 45 or so years old.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

why - complain because he was trying to see if you were stupid enough to be baited
i doubt there is a single person in this world who has not baited someone before so why should cops not be able to do it

people complain because speed cameras booked them for small indescretions, but if a copper is trying to figure out who is dumb and who is not, or who is likely to go more than 10% over the limit that is wrong?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cement comes in bags.. concrete comes in trucks.....
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
cement comes in bags.. concrete comes in trucks.....
+1
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

OP I share your pain. I get this a bit even though I am a P Plater in a grandpa car. Cops at the lights/roads/freeways just play with me sometimes, i cant overtake because they speed up and i am not gonna go over the limit because they are a cop. Usually i just look at them and make a "wtf gesture" and they drive off. Pretty simple really, i dont blame them for doing it though, the more bogans in commodores off the roads the better.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you do gooders think it is fair enough if I was to do 111 passing him to get out of the right lane of a fantastic 3 lane freeway then get a ticket? Thats highway robbery.
Am I the one who would be the criminal? I'd be taking that straight to the media if that happened thats for sure. (In fact I almost should have done it just to highlight the stupidity of it all)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I would not worry about it, no harm done and he probably drove of with respect for you because you demonstrated that you are a responsible road user.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you must lead a fairly boring life if youre getting wound up over something like this......
Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
why - complain because he was trying to see if you were stupid enough to be baited
i doubt there is a single person in this world who has not baited someone before so why should cops not be able to do it

people complain because speed cameras booked them for small indescretions, but if a copper is trying to figure out who is dumb and who is not, or who is likely to go more than 10% over the limit that is wrong?

I cant handle this thought process. Police should never bait people. What next, shoot at us to see if we shoot back?

Their job is to observe and enforce the law, not to try to get people to break it.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt bother with the offical complaint

but then I wouldnt have bothered with the phone call either

Hell I wouldnt even bothertyping the orginal rant here, but thats just me

Generaly theres 3 sides to every story, yours theirs and what actualy happend (typicaly 1/2 between), mate taking that into account I say get over it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
He wasn't doing anything illegal also why didn't you just ignore him? by you playing around like that you're just drawing his attention to you so of course he's going to stick around and play, waiting.
Actually, he was - it is illegal to increase your speed when being overtaken.

***EDIT*** Just realised the road in question is a multi lane road. Speeding up while being overtaken is not allowed on single lane roads:

145 Driver being overtaken not to increase speed

If a driver is overtaking another driver on a two-way road by crossing a dividing line, or crossing to the right of the centre of the road, the other driver must not increase the speed at which the driver is driving until the first driver:
(a) has passed the other driver, and
(b) has returned to the marked lane or line of traffic where the other driver is driving, and
(c) is a sufficient distance in front of the other driver to avoid a collision.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 04-03-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question is why did you want to get past someone but not exceed speed limit. If it wasn't a cop car you would just floor it and fly past him but in this case you did not want to risk a fine. So what is the problem here and what is the complaint ?
It is like saying I normally pinch an apple from local fruit shop but today there was a cop there so I could not do it. I will complain about it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Question is why did you want to get past someone but not exceed speed limit. If it wasn't a cop car you would just floor it and fly past him but in this case you did not want to risk a fine. So what is the problem here and what is the complaint ?
It is like saying I normally pinch an apple from local fruit shop but today there was a cop there so I could not do it. I will complain about it.
I think that road has point to point, so you wouldn't speed anyway (103 in 100 is not speeding really). So at 103, going past the cop doing 95 would have been feasible, but when the cop matches speed, he probably initially was checking that the OP was not speeding too much, but thereafter, he was being an idiot, IMO.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I cant handle this thought process. Police should never bait people. What next, shoot at us to see if we shoot back?

Their job is to observe and enforce the law, not to try to get people to break it.
i am not sure that the cops actually broke the law - they may have exceeded it by 5kph, but that is neither here or there, beause neither you or i was there to confirm or deny it

i take it, you have never baited anyone to try and catch them out or to get them caught - ever
everyone complains about copper's having special priviledges and now some suggest that they cannot even have the same priviledges as us

and countless times i come up to pass cars on cruise control and suddenly their speed rises to match mine. if mine drops so does theirs. considering i have been guilty of this sometimes and not realised i was actually doing it, maybe the coppers did not realise it either - but wait they are coppers. guilty unless proven innocent
Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a road like that why bother passing 100 or 103 won't make a difference.
Personally if I overtake it is quick and decisive which could cost me a speeding fine ( and it has with a result being one year good behavior option).
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

I agree with JC.
We expect footballers and sportsmen to be beyond reproach and rolemodels for our children, yet we expect lower standards from enforcement officers......come on.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 04-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked

Exactly .
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
I agree with JC.
We expect footballers and sportsmen to be beyond reproach and rolemodels for our children, yet we expect lower standards from enforcement officers......come on.
This^^
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Dave3911

I am at a loss to understand what this policeman has allegedly done wrong - and so would any investigator (Police, OPI or otherwise) who looked at it. Even if you had an independant witness (which you don't), what would they report?? That a police car was driving legally within the speed limit?? This policeman did his job - by creating a visable Police presance that caused you to keep to and/or under the speed limit. Everyone here bitches that Speed cameras are revenue raising and what we need are more Police - yet when you see one, you get annoyed because you cant act like an idiot on the road.

The pure fact of the matter is, Police bait people all the time. Victoria police even have a couple of old "Bait Cars" that they setup at rail stations, wait for people to steal and then remote cut them out. They also leave laptops, GPS' etc. in plain view and wait for the window to get smashed. If your stupid enough to take the bait - you get caught. Simple, dont take it. Baiting is an effective and simple policing tool.

Also - you've got to have rocks in your head if you actually think that "this copper will be spoken too". The copper you spoke to gave you lip service, because he (like every other member of Victoria Police) knows that they are treated worse then crminals when ANY official complaint is raised. It's much easier to give someone lip service, who feels all warm and fuzzy, then let you make the offical complaint. That copper hung up the phone, muttered to himself and went about his day.....

Also - the HWP office in your area is at Corio - not at Geelong.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
everyone complains about copper's having special priviledges and now some suggest that they cannot even have the same priviledges as us

??????? Same priviledges as us???????

If I sped up and slowed down in line with another vehicle they would say I was racing the other car and my car would be impounded

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
zion

The reason they do it is because our favorite ex-prime minister John Howard got rid of the anti entrapment laws that made it illegal for the police to use any action which could force you to break the law, which means that now they can do whatever they want to to get you to perform a finable offence. i,e tailgate you til you break the speed limit is a good one that they use alot now, as is the issue you are facing. Hell they can even line up with you at the lights and try to get you to drag race them, but if we try the same we get fined for insiting a public disturbance or as tweeked said have our car impounded for hooning, so don't bother with the complaint cause all that will come of it is a slap on the wrist and potential hassles further down the track.

Other then that if you see a cop car speeding (without lights flashing) or doing something illegal while driving just copy him, they are supposed to lead by example so if he speeds match his speed (but don't pass him) as long as your behind him he can't do a thing.
laser, a KB and a KQ sedan, GONE.
96 X3 excel 5-speed manual, being fixed. (people should look before running across main roads, most cars need more then 1.5 m to stop).
coming attractions:
1969 XW fairmont sedan to be fully rebuilt.
phase 1, (parts collection) almost completed.

Last edited by zion; 04-03-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #26
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They were actually taking it down as an official complaint to investigate, I said not to do that as I couldnt be bothered with it.

Cant believe some of you people think its fair enough that they should act in this way!
Like someone before said, if they shoot at you are you not gonna shoot back if you could?

As if doing 10 over is dangerous anyway! on this freeway, its DUSGUSTING the lows that the Vic Police go to to make money for the government.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion
Other then that if you see a cop car speeding (without lights flashing) or doing something illegal while driving just copy him, they are supposed to lead by example so if he speeds match his speed (but don't pass him) as long as your behind him he can't do a thing.
I can see your license lasting a long time

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the cop was just matching your speed because he thought u were doing 100 or around about, so he did not have to look at his speedo. When I drive on the freeway, i usually match the cars speed next to me, so I do not have to look at the speedo every 5 seconds. If the car looks like it is traveling the same speed as everyone else, I just sit next to it and do what that car is doing.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
I can see your license lasting a long time
Funny thing is, a cop actually told me that. and i've done it a couple of times and they look ****** but they can't do anything about it. like i said they still stuck to the whole lead by example thing so as long as your following them then they can't do a thing.

seriously, the reason for it is that if you where driving and broke your speedo cable you should be able to follow a police car and not be breaking the law, that's the exact words he used and he was a senior sarg. that and if they are speeding (without lights)they are breaking the same law that you are and if you fight the fine they get busted (tell tale instruments) so they will leave you alone.
laser, a KB and a KQ sedan, GONE.
96 X3 excel 5-speed manual, being fixed. (people should look before running across main roads, most cars need more then 1.5 m to stop).
coming attractions:
1969 XW fairmont sedan to be fully rebuilt.
phase 1, (parts collection) almost completed.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion
Funny thing is, a cop actually told me that. and i've done it a couple of times and they look ****** but they can't do anything about it. like i said they still stuck to the whole lead by example thing so as long as your following them then they can't do a thing.

seriously, the reason for it is that if you where driving and broke your speedo cable you should be able to follow a police car and not be breaking the law, that's the exact words he used and he was a senior sarg. that and if they are speeding (without lights)they are breaking the same law that you are and if you fight the fine they get busted (tell tale instruments) so they will leave you alone.
Fail. If your speedo is broken you are driving an unroadworthy car.
Closed Thread