Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Lost control of my car, have some questions.

Hey everyone,

About 1pm today I had a huge smile on my face as a rare outburst of rain came down. I'm not sure what it was like in other parts of melbourne but it was absolutely bucketing where i'm from.

Long story short I accidently (I put accidently in bold because it was really an accident) turned around a corner when the back of my BA XR6 lost traction and went out sideways.

Having never been in a situation like this before, I panicked and didn't know how to react or control the steering wheel and when the traction control kicked in, it whiped me in the opposite direction over a curb.

Inspecting my car it seems that so far the damage isn't "major" but it's still damage. From the looks of things I have a nicely sized bubble in one of my back tyres and my left fog light is hanging out.

Here are my questions:

1. What exactly have I done to my tyre? It looks normal apart from this bubble buldging from it. Is it going to explode and do I need to change my tyre asap?

2. The fog light seems to be intact and is just hanging out of the hole it sits in. Is fixing this as simple as wedging it back into the hole or do I need to do something else?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Hey everyone,

About 1pm today I had a huge smile on my face as a rare outburst of rain came down. I'm not sure what it was like in other parts of melbourne but it was absolutely bucketing where i'm from.

Long story short I accidently (I put accidently in bold because it was really an accident) turned around a corner when the back of my BA XR6 lost traction and went out sideways.

Having never been in a situation like this before, I panicked and didn't know how to react or control the steering wheel and when the traction control kicked in, it whiped me in the opposite direction over a curb.

Inspecting my car it seems that so far the damage isn't "major" but it's still damage. From the looks of things I have a nicely sized bubble in one of my back tyres and my left fog light is hanging out.

Here are my questions:

1. What exactly have I done to my tyre? It looks normal apart from this bubble buldging from it. Is it going to explode and do I need to change my tyre asap?

2. The fog light seems to be intact and is just hanging out of the hole it sits in. Is fixing this as simple as wedging it back into the hole or do I need to do something else?

Any help is appreciated.
The rain you went into, did that happen to be near Sunbury? Because I was driving on Melbourne Lancefield Road and the storm hit so hard that it blew all those reflectors with the rubber bases over in the middle of the road, and threw roadsigns onto the road, plus the rain was coming down so hard even with the wipers on full you couldn't see and we where aquaplaning a lot too.

Had to slow down to about 15km/h and my driving instructor called off the lesson because it was day too dangerous to drive in.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
About 1pm today I had a huge smile on my face as a rare outburst of rain came down.
why would you include that in a thread about 'accidently' loosing control in the wet

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1: Bubble isnt good news, means that its seperated ply's, you need to change the tyre asap, its something you cant just drive with it like that. I assume its on the sidewall? also get your rims checked as you have most probably bent one.

2: Depends if its broken the mounts for it or not, best bet is to rip off the front bar and have a look.

Takes a fair bit to kick a rear end out even when its streaming down, on a NA xr6, unless the tyres are cactus already.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
why would you include that in a thread about 'accidently' loosing control in the wet
I put that in because these last couple of weeks have been unbelievably hot and I really was happy to see it raining for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
Takes a fair bit to kick a rear end out even when its streaming down, on a NA xr6, unless the tyres are cactus already.
The tyres are pretty low on tread, probably not the best for driving in the wet.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

The tyre is cactus and needs replacing ASAP
The light just clips in from the back remove the bottom splash cover and its easy to do if you still cant get your hand in turn the front wheels and remove the lower screws or scrivets from the inner plastic mud guard.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tyres finished u need a new one
Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The tyre is rooted.

Also, get your backside here ASAP http://www.deca.com.au/Courses.aspx?...icle%20-%20Car

Oo\===/oO
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I put that in because these last couple of weeks have been unbelievably hot and I really was happy to see it raining for a change.

The tyres are pretty low on tread, probably not the best for driving in the wet.
lol fair enough. I just know what some people are like thats all, obviously you aren't one of them goodluck with the damage. Maybe look into some courses, they are great

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Can I suggest you go to a skid pan day to learn some car control.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The rain you went into, did that happen to be near Sunbury? Because I was driving on Melbourne Lancefield Road and the storm hit so hard that it blew all those reflectors with the rubber bases over in the middle of the road, and threw roadsigns onto the road, plus the rain was coming down so hard even with the wipers on full you couldn't see and we where aquaplaning a lot too.

Had to slow down to about 15km/h and my driving instructor called off the lesson because it was day too dangerous to drive in.
Yeah mate, it was in Sunbury.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Would probobly be a good idea to change all 4 tyres.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
BLOWNXR8UTE
345rwkw BLOWN XR8 UTE

sounds to me like ya wernt driving to suit the conditions Hahaha!
Anyway, Copie is correct.
Maybe with the light, there are 2 flat clips top and bottom i think?
Have a go at pushing it straight back in.

Hows ya rim? chances are ya buckled it if it was a decent hit.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
chrisfpv

Alright so from the sounds of it my tyre is finished? I have a spare so that's not so bad but can the tyre be repaired? I don't really want to be driving around without a spare for long.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

You cannot repair a tyre.

Oo\===/oO
Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Yeah mate, it was in Sunbury.
You had to be crazy to be going more than 20km/h in that storm, gotta drive to the conditions buddy

It got to a point where there was about 7 or 8 drivers pulled up on the side of the road, waiting for it to pass.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR

A little flick of opposite lock could have saved you here. Next time it rains, find an empty industrial cul-de-sac (the huge ones where semi trailers do U turns) after business hours of course, and get a feel for how to control your car when the rear comes out. You don't need to be hooning, just turn into it with a little more throttle than usual, wait for the rear to come out slightly and teach yourself to correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR

Any help is appreciated.
I don't know about Falcon, but with Territory there is a kind of backing plate behind the front bar that can break. I had a spill with the Territory once and the foglight was hanging out the same as you described - the platic plate behind was busted. Relatively cheap to fix if it is the case.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Hey everyone,

How much throttle and speed were you carrying for traction control to do that?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
Being an NA 6 with no doubt an open diff, a fair bit id say.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
Mr12345678x

Not going to criticise, you've had enough from the others :P

Definately replace the tyre, and probably get a wheel alignment/suspension check just to be safe, if not to check for damage then see if there's a reason why it kicked out the way it did
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #21
Mr12345678x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
A little flick of opposite lock could have saved you here. Next time it rains, find an empty industrial cul-de-sac (the huge ones where semi trailers do U turns) after business hours of course, and get a feel for how to control your car when the rear comes out. You don't need to be hooning, just turn into it with a little more throttle than usual, wait for the rear to come out slightly and teach yourself to correct it.
Probably avoid this, it takes one phone call for the police to show up and these crazy hoon laws to get you into trouble (try explaining what you're doing in an industrial area at night in the rain)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

So you went driving in the wet with bald tyres, and lost control? No way!!!
May I suggest never getting forced induction.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #23
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
You had to be crazy to be going more than 20km/h in that storm, gotta drive to the conditions buddy

It got to a point where there was about 7 or 8 drivers pulled up on the side of the road, waiting for it to pass.
Yeah, it was pretty bad. When I was driving it had died of a tad from its worst, but was still going fairly hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
You cannot repair a tyre.
Damn, thats a bummer.

Quote:
I didn't think I was doing a speed that could induce what happened. I was driving up to the round about and was turning left, I looked and there were no cars so I slowed down enough to go left without actually coming to a complete stop.

When I started to turn left I put my foot on the accelerator (not to hard but obv hard enough) to continue along and it happened. Like I said never being in this situation before it came as a shock and i've definitely noted the speed I was going for future reference when driving in the rain.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So you went driving in the wet with bald tyres, and lost control? No way!!!
May I suggest never getting forced induction.
My tyres are not bald mate, but they aren't at there best.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzza
Probably avoid this, it takes one phone call for the police to show up and these crazy hoon laws to get you into trouble (try explaining what you're doing in an industrial area at night in the rain)
Unless you're being an idiot doing donuts etc you shouldn't run into any trouble.. unless you have a loud exhaust that will generate attention.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #26
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Unless you're being an idiot doing donuts etc you shouldn't run into any trouble.. unless you have a loud exhaust that will generate attention.
Incorrect.

Havent you seen the news lately, you will get turned into a scapegoat if you get caught.

OP why dont you take a drive into quite literally the middle of nowhere, then do it in an empty paddock/extreme back road.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
lubby1

Yeah get a new tyre a.s.a.p and you could try an advanced driving course that will teach you skills in handling your car, its legal and its fun.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Hey everyone,

Here are my questions:

Any help is appreciated.
Interesting revelation from someone who constantly makes so many "enlightened" and "perceptive" posts in various driving technique and traffic incident threads on the forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #29
chrisfpv

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate the help alot.

I've just skimmed over my BA owners manual but can't seem to find where on a BA XR6 you're meant to place the car jack when changing a tyre, anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Interesting revelation from someone who constantly makes so many "enlightened" and "perceptive" posts in various driving technique and traffic incident threads on the forum.
Interesting how? I like to get involved in the discussions that come up in The Pub regarding all kinds of topics. Does that mean I have to be a perfect driver?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
Incorrect.

Havent you seen the news lately, you will get turned into a scapegoat if you get caught.
I forgot, pretty much everything is classified as hooning these days :

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I've just skimmed over my BA owners manual but can't seem to find where on a BA XR6 you're meant to place the car jack when changing a tyre, anyone know?
Depends which end of the car, but there will be jack points under the side skirt (along the metal frame), there should be small bumps to indicate their position.

Last edited by Dave R; 10-02-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Closed Thread