Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2024, 04:27 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: and so it begins .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The big misunderstood and unknown about Australia by a large percentage of our inhabitants.
2,300km in Europe will get you from Paris to a muddy trench in Ukraine fighting the Russians.
That distance won't get you from Darwin to Adelaide, but it will get you from Brisbane to Birdsville and return, if you are able to find a solar powered Mulga tree to plug your EV into.
The Great Australian Road Trip is doomed.
If anyone thinks that the popularisation of EVs spells the end of road trips in this country, you need to pop over to the 'Alternative Power' folder and have a look at the trip that kypez has just completed in his six year old model S tesla from Sydney to Uluru. Heck of a bigger road trip than most in this country will do and he really didn't need to sacrifice much distance to be able to make use of the charging network already available.

And before anyone chimes in, no he didn't tow a van. That wasn't the point of the exercise, and the tesla would never be the vehicle of choice for such a trip. Those who are anti-ev really need to open their minds and check out his really well documented, frank and open assessment of the tesla's capabilities for just such a trip. Worth noting his comments about driver fatigue, too, over such a distance with aids such as the tesla auto pilot system.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
If anyone thinks that the popularisation of EVs spells the end of road trips in this country, you need to pop over to the 'Alternative Power' folder and have a look at the trip that kypez has just completed in his six year old model S tesla from Sydney to Uluru. Heck of a bigger road trip than most in this country will do and he really didn't need to sacrifice much distance to be able to make use of the charging network already available.
As you quoted my comments, yeah, I did. Good on him. Lots of planning and a bit of range anxiety.

Reminded of my first road trip with my parents, from Goondiwindi to Esperance in 1956. Had to carry petrol in a jerrycan, and where is a sealed road, and would we get there.
There would have been little more ICE vehicles on the Nullabor then, as there are Teslas on the way to Uluru now. Not impossible, but not done by many.
A jerry can of electrons will be handy in 2030 when EVs are queuing for chargers.
The Fed Govt is promoting EVs at the same time as warning us that here will be blackouts in the future due to reduced electricity power plants.
WTF, go figure on that logic.

As to long distance road trips via WoopWoop, I have done few. Lucky Starr is jealous.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
As you quoted my comments, yeah, I did. Good on him. Lots of planning and a bit of range anxiety.

Reminded of my first road trip with my parents, from Goondiwindi to Esperance in 1956. Had to carry petrol in a jerrycan, and where is a sealed road, and would we get there.
There would have been little more ICE vehicles on the Nullabor then, as there are Teslas on the way to Uluru now. Not impossible, but not done by many.
A jerry can of electrons will be handy in 2030 when EVs are queuing for chargers.
The Fed Govt is promoting EVs at the same time as warning us that here will be blackouts in the future due to reduced electricity power plants.
WTF, go figure on that logic.

As to long distance road trips via WoopWoop, I have done few. Lucky Starr is jealous.
Why assume the infrastructure won't also grow?
Old 01-01-2024, 07:31 PM   #4
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Why assume the infrastructure won't also grow?
Didn't infer that, or write that it won't.

Currently, while you are refueling your ICE vehicle, you don't order and eat a burger, drink a cup of coffee and explore the Maccas playground while watching the time until you hope the tank is full.

There is a Tesla charging station about 20km from where I live. I think about 6 or 7 chargers, usually with 3 Teslas in it. Not easy to see or to get to.
Yeah, Tesla drivers have apps, but it is not 'in ya face' like a traditional servo.
More EVs require more chargers (duh ...tell the govt that) with longer charge times than dumping 50 litres of petrol into a tank.
How many more chargers do we need for the inevitable increase in EVs and charging point road rage.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Didn't infer that, or write that it won't.

Currently, while you are refueling your ICE vehicle, you don't order and eat a burger, drink a cup of coffee and explore the Maccas playground while watching the time until you hope the tank is full.

There is a Tesla charging station about 20km from where I live. I think about 6 or 7 chargers, usually with 3 Teslas in it. Not easy to see or to get to.
Yeah, Tesla drivers have apps, but it is not 'in ya face' like a traditional servo.
More EVs require more chargers (duh ...tell the govt that) with longer charge times than dumping 50 litres of petrol into a tank.
How many more chargers do we need for the inevitable increase in EVs and charging point road rage.
Do you believe we had the same numbers of servos around as we have now when we changed from the cart and horse to ice vehicles? All of these continual arguments about availability/infrastructure are unfair, as they are comparing a very mature (perhaps even arguably one at its peak) system with one in its infancy. I'm sure most people are familiar with the old supply/demand principle. As demand for charging stations increase, so will the supply of them. Companies will see am opportunity to make money from this service and will deliver them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 09:01 PM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Do you believe we had the same numbers of servos around as we have now when we changed from the cart and horse to ice vehicles? .
Of course I believe that. Just like I believe that the world is flat and the Easter Bunny was invented by Santa Claus, and electricity grows on Gumtrees.
You must think I am stupid. Geez, full marks for being a spin doctor.

Something I do believe is that the car industry and the petroleum industry grew hand in hand, each one benefitting and promoting the other. Plenty of iron ore around to build cars, and plenty of oil just waiting to be drilled.

EVs are being introduced at a time when electricity is becoming in more demand at the same time as the present capacity, via Govt policy, is being wound back to satisfy the saviors of the planet.
In Australia, currently we are being told to learn how to ride a pushbike with no handlebars before we can walk.
This user likes this post: