Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Auii Xr6 V Auii Xr6 Vct

Hey guys well sinece the anouncement that the Victorian Government is looking at Banning All V8's/Turbo's, it put me in a rather awkward position, i had organised to buy my parents 2001 AUII XR8, A4 () , leather, Etc but it's looking like i may not be able to drive it.

Which leaves us with a few options AU II XR6's arn't too bad in Price now and i have a chance of finding a Manual which is what i want, but my question is is it worth getting the VCT or just the standard Version of the XR6?

I think the XR6 VCT has the full independand rear suspention where the normal XR6 doesn't, does it handle much better?

The Car will be modified with Exhaust, Intake, Chip/Edit, Ect so please do take this into account.

Thanks in advance guys.

FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Just relised that i didn't hit the back button enough, please can a mod move this to the normal AU Falcon section
Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yes, the IRS setup handles better than the live axle for day to day use. There are some good gains to be made these days on the VCT motor - Casper will tell you that you can get better power than from the XR8 anyway.

I would go for the VCT - in manual form, it would be a killer. I had an AU1 VCT in auto, and it was a fairly good piece of kit too.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Thanks JC VCT does seem to be the way to go from what i ave read in the articles
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No government in Australia will ban all V8's and Turbo's. Especially in Vic with Ford Australia being there. It would be political suicide.

How many votes would they lose. They would be handing a victory to the opposition.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
No government in Australia will ban all V8's and Turbo's. Especially in Vic with Ford Australia being there. It would be political suicide.

How many votes would they lose. They would be handing a victory to the opposition.
We will see bucky but it's not looking good at the moment :
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't despair. They are just testing the depth of the water. Personally, I think they might drown :

They can ban racing, motor events, but V8's and turbo's. I don't think it will happen. Governments some time say their intentions and guage the response.

Imagine how many votes they would lose. Honestly, I think they are attmpting fate.

I would be very interested to hear how they hope to manage this one.

Keep us informed
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I agree with you there, they will lose votes over it, but besides that im also considering the above options due to fuel prices, insurance (Costs more than a BA XR6T in my name!) and the fact it's an Auto which goes agains everything i have said since i was about 14!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a XR6 VCT with the mods you are contemplating. I couldnt be happier with the choice ive made.....the XR6 HP is a great bit of gear but IMO the VCT wins hands down once afew mods are done.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
I have a XR6 VCT with the mods you are contemplating. I couldnt be happier with the choice ive made.....the XR6 HP is a great bit of gear but IMO the VCT wins hands down once afew mods are done.

James
Thanks cArSiK thats the exact sort of answer im after, what would you guys consider a good price for a AUII XR6 Manual?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

My only questions are:
1. What do you want to do with the car? Daily driver? Track work? Drags? Allround stuff?
2. How much do you want to spend on mods? Cam? Head? How far do you want to go?
3. Where abouts do you live? What are the roads like?
4. Which model AU can you afford? 1, 2 or 3?

I'm well known for being a huge fan of the VCT but it would be stupid to say that the HP is any less capable. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.. it all comes down to the owners wants and needs. In some cases the HP is actually the better choice and, if total outright power is the goal with no expense spared, the HP will win in the end.... unless you go the XR8.. which will be even faster... but cost a lot more to get there.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

1. The car will be a daily driver with drag racing and track days definitly in mind.
2. Mods i would rather stick to bolt on's and a Chip/Edit but a cam way down the line is possible
3. I live in Gippsland and the roads are a little average in condition, but good for fun...
4. I can probably afford up to AUII
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I'll just add my 2 cents worth aswell , i might as well. When i test drove a few xr6's when i was originally looking to purchase a xr6 - imo i recon the vct won hands down , much better handling , alot more go , and also alot more extras .. the HP and VCT are both nice , but in the end the VCT won me over hands down - thats in the series II AU anyways .
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
1. The car will be a daily driver with drag racing and track days definitly in mind.
2. Mods i would rather stick to bolt on's and a Chip/Edit but a cam way down the line is possible
3. I live in Gippsland and the roads are a little average in condition, but good for fun...
4. I can probably afford up to AUII
For a daily driver with a few bolt ons and rough roads.. VCT manual is the go. Get the right mods and it will probably be a match or better then a HP mod for mod (until you hit the cam mods, then the HP has the advantage as it has lots of cams to choose from). Rough roads, IRS wins hands down.
As for the price of mods... VCT cant be done on the cheap, it is exceptionally finiky about exhaust in particular and only a few systems have got a track record of working really well.
Fuel economy.. if you think a VCT is going to be as fuel efficient as a HP.. you are wrong. The VCT is as thirsty as most XR8's.

Your call in the end but the IRS and lots of options are a big selling point... if you can live with the not so good fuel efficiency. .

Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
For a daily driver with a few bolt ons and rough roads.. VCT manual is the go. Get the right mods and it will probably be a match or better then a HP mod for mod (until you hit the cam mods, then the HP has the advantage as it has lots of cams to choose from). Rough roads, IRS wins hands down.
As for the price of mods... VCT cant be done on the cheap, it is exceptionally finiky about exhaust in particular and only a few systems have got a track record of working really well.
Fuel economy.. if you think a VCT is going to be as fuel efficient as a HP.. you are wrong. The VCT is as thirsty as most XR8's.

Your call in the end but the IRS and lots of options are a big selling point... if you can live with the not so good fuel efficiency. .
After mods is the VCT better on fuel?

I have read this before and it's the only thing that really puts me off the VCT model, as the IRS is a big this i would expect for the "Fun" roads and track days.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
After mods is the VCT better on fuel?
Better then stock? Yes. If you drive it gentle.
Better then an XR6 HP? No chance.

Seriously, my VCT is as thirsty as my EB Fairmont V8 was. The are fuel guzzlers, make no mistake about it. Around town 400kms to a tank is all I expect.. and with the histall I dont even expect that now.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #17
buickman
buickman

I don't have a real issue with fuel ecomony out of my VCT if its kept serviced. I regulary see into the 8's/L per 100kms on the highways & as bad as mid 14's/L per 100Kms pushed hard around the stop start traffic. But mine isn't as modified as Caspers.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Driving in heavy traffic isn't a huge concern for me so the economy shouldn't be too bad, the more i think about it the better one of these are looking, thanks for all your help guys, ive got some decitions to make one thing is sure though that whether it be XR6HP, XR6 VCT or XR8 it will be an AU!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

When are you looking at getting it?

Old 03-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

HP = lighter, less technology, better track car, faster stock. (thus Targa, ATCC, etc...). VCT = heavier, more refined handling, more technology, better options.

I scored a well optioned HP (premium sound, momo bits, sunroof, 17"s, etc), and I'm happy with it. HP don't have rear electric windows, but I don't give a rats because I never sit in the back... If you get a AUII HP check when it was made. If prior to June 2001, you should have LSd. If not, chances are you won't since post June 2001 HPs had LSD optional. LSD is always standard on VCT, as well as a few other little extras. First thing to turf when you get a HP is exhaust, cos the Forte job they get is sucky. VCTs had upgraded exhaust from factory.

I'd see what you could find in either model, pick the best car (fewer k's, better price, right options, colour, etc...) - can't go too wrong either way.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Actually something i noticed with my vct (yes i agree it can be a bit of a guzzler sometimes), i dont know if other find the same thing , but it seems to use HEAPS less , and i mean HEAPS less fuel in ADP than in ECONOMY or PERFORMANCE - and the PERFORMANCE setting doesnt seem that much more powerfull to me than the ADP setting ???? - thats with my vct anyways - dont get me wrong - it isnt slow in none of the modes - but just a guzzler in performance and economy settings. allthough i can feel the power difference and shift difference quiet noticablly when changing from econ to either performance or adp , and econ is as smooth as hell a ride but just eats heaps of fuel for what is supposed to be economy !.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
I'd see what you could find in either model, pick the best car (fewer k's, better price, right options, colour, etc...) - can't go too wrong either way.
I would agree with this too. Get the best car you can afford rather than locking in on the exact model. HP or VCT, both are going to make you smile.. just for slightly different reasons.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I would agree with this too. Get the best car you can afford rather than locking in on the exact model. HP or VCT, both are going to make you smile.. just for slightly different reasons.
Will do guys thanks alot, outright track times don't really bother me so i think the VCT's independant rear end would be nicer on our roads, but i think i will go with what you said and find the car thats got lower Km, good price, Etc

I will be buying the car before August, but i will be just 'Looking' for a few months untill i will have the funds to look seriously.

Thanks to all of you for your quick replys and good information.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #24
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Where abouts in gippsland? Im up in bairnsdale.

I have the VCT, but it is in a fairlane, so it doesnt count

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Actually something i noticed with my vct (yes i agree it can be a bit of a guzzler sometimes), i dont know if other find the same thing , but it seems to use HEAPS less , and i mean HEAPS less fuel in ADP than in ECONOMY or PERFORMANCE - and the PERFORMANCE setting doesnt seem that much more powerfull to me than the ADP setting ???? - thats with my vct anyways - dont get me wrong - it isnt slow in none of the modes - but just a guzzler in performance and economy settings. allthough i can feel the power difference and shift difference quiet noticablly when changing from econ to either performance or adp , and econ is as smooth as hell a ride but just eats heaps of fuel for what is supposed to be economy !.
The shift modes in the auto have nothing to do with power, and everything to do with how and when the transmission shifts gears. Adaptive shift learns the way YOU drive, and then the auto shifts according to that. Performance mode holds gears longer before changing up and is supposed to kick down earlier. Economy changes earlier and doesn't hold gears as long. The engine still delivers the same power though, it's only the gear shifts that are different, and at the same throttle positions,m the difference in shift points is only about 500 to 800 rpm anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
SVR73
Mr Polish

Definately go the VCT, although mine is AUTO and 97% stock, it is a killer car as I love the handling and the darting steering that would throw itself onto the footpath if you put just a tad too much steering on around a bend

Go Series III if you can, S2's may have a few build quality issues and missing very minor bits that the early S1's have.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzak260
Where abouts in gippsland? Im up in bairnsdale.

I have the VCT, but it is in a fairlane, so it doesnt count
In Traralgon mate.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Just buy the XR8.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #29
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Just buy the XR8.......
...they sure get better fuel economy in stock form!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
...they sure get better fuel economy in stock form!
not wrong.