Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Erich

Default What sort of coolant

Guys

What types of coolant do you run in the system. Want to replace whats in my AU III, clean out the cooling system & clean expansion tank

Thinking of tectalloy gold with rain water? What is a good flushing method (as in cleaner)

thoughts??

Cheers

Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Water from the tap, anything else is just a capitalist rip off!

No just joking.

I run Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze, Anti-Boil Inhibitor Coolant. Works real well.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Erich

ok - never used a ready to go "premix" before

Being Nulon, im sure its ok

ohh - and I live on rain water (self sufficient) so just checking that would be an issue against destilled etc ;)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The link i provided most certainly is not premix.

And i've used rainwater before - apparently it's a million times better for your steam iron so i'd assume it'd be better for your falcon too.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recommend Redline Water Wetter, and definately DO NOT recommend Tectaloy.

I have posted many times about Redline, if you want to understand more, do a search as i can't be bothered explaining it AGAIN..

Cheers
Matte
Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I flushed my system many times with rain water and used it again with tectalloy gold, no problem's with mine and I've had the vehicle since '01.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
apparently it's a million times better for your steam iron so i'd assume it'd be better for your falcon too.
No calcium, no chlorine, no fluoride etc

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Erich

Cheers Guys

Mr Hardware - sorry dude - when I said "pre-mix" I ment stuff thats already mixed - ready to go

MaTTe - good info re the Water Wetter. For me I would consider it with rain water and nothing else as in Adelaide we dont get to freezing for anti-freeze

cheers
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Mr Hardware

thats cool mate - concentrate is definitely the way to go, no point in buying water.
Old 13-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I always recommend Tectaloy Gold or Tectaloy Xtra Cool with clean tap water... always worked for me and my old customers...
Old 13-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Don't kid yourself, rainwater is no where near pure (unless you live in antartica or similar). Its got heaps of salts, dust, is often acidic etc, etc, (do a search on the net if you don't believe me). Good enough for drinking in a rural area. Most tap water is fine to add to your coolant, distilled/deionised water is going way overboard IMO.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Mr Hardware

I think rainwater is not pure but a buttload better than tap water, amirite?
Old 13-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Erich

Rain water here is not acidic, PH test and metal test shows it very low

yes - rain water is better than tap water (esp Adelaide tap water ;) )
Old 14-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Adelaide water is an exception.
Tap water is rainwater. And rainwater contains salt. In some places they may dilute with bore water when running very low, and bore water usually has a bit more salt). Most catchments and reservoirs are well away from built up areas for good reason. If you're collecting rain in a built up area it wont be clean (industry, car fumes etc) . Plus your roof is covered in bird crap.
Old 14-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Erich

- I live in the country. We value our roofs as the water we collect we survive on - cos thats all we have. The water I collect is very clean, not pure im sure but no industry arund here
Old 14-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So do I. Lived on tank water for many years (got town water now). Nothing you can do about the bird crap, found the odd dead rat, bird etc in the gutters, leaves, well you try to keep it pritty clean, but doesn't matter much, beautiful water all the same, no doubt about it, very soft. I was just saying that its not true that it better than tap for your coolant (with some exceptions of course). Some people believe that rainwater is so pure its good for topping up your battery -not true.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #17
Erich

fair point AMB. I have a truck load of it (150,000 ltrs) actually but I may go distilled to play it safe - just flush it a few times first. For $10 - cheap insurance
Old 14-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon if its good enough for you to drink then its good enough for your car. Just put the right amount of a good quality corrosion inhibitor (or antiboil/antifreeze, which also contains corrosion inhibitor) and you should be fine.