Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
WheelsTurn
Starter Motor

Default EA Overheating

Hi All

I am not very mechanical but i am trying to learn. I have an overheating problem with my EA, it has been going on now for a few weeks and i cant seem to get it fully solved i was hoping someone might have some ideas to point me in the right direction..

It started off a few weeks ago i noticed the temp guage was higher than normal. I usually ran around 20-35% on the guage but it had gotten close to halfway. So i checked to see if the water levels were low and it seemed they were. I figured i would keep them topped up and monitor the car everytime i drive and find out if/where the leak is coming from..

Next thing you know i am driving along and notice the battery light comes on, i call the NRMA and he tells me alternator is gone, then while we are doing the alternator check i notice the bottom radiator hose is leaking right above the alternator, which obviously caused it to fail.. I figured cool at least ive found whats wrong, i'll get a new alternator and replace the hose and i should be sweet. Well i did that but sure enough the bloody thing is still overheating on me.

When i got it back from the guy who changed the radiator hose within 2 kms of driving the heat guage went through the roof so i pulled over and rang him, he said after replacing the hose it prob had an air lock and i should just refill it and now it should be ok.. I did that but it hasnt really returned to normal. Since then ive also had the resovoir develope a crack in it where it joins the bottom hose. I got a resovoir from the wreckers and changed it as well. But part of me think all these other things developing cracks and leaks might be the result of something else ?? Like some pressure issue or flow problem ?

Just today i replaced the thermostat and still it appears to have done nothing. It looks like now im not leaking any water but its still running too hot, so im starting to wonder what else it could possibly be ?? A mate said it might be that the radiator has a build of of sand and crap at the bottom and needs to be cleaned out ?? Aside form that another guy said i might still have an airlock in it ??

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what would be my best options ? Any help is most appreciated..

Cheers
Adam

WheelsTurn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
WheelsTurn
Starter Motor

oops, I just realised this might be in the wrong forum, i will repost in the other one also.. Cheers..
Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill put $2 on that the radiator is full of sedament,get it flushed and cleaned out.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
WheelsTurn
Starter Motor

Thanks that is my next move.. I need it for work over the weekend so i have no choice but to drive till early next week.. If i stay within the Normal temp zone i cant do any damage can i ? I dont want to blow the head gasket.

Your signature is off the simpsons right ? That comic guy is a classic.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

That will depend on the functioning of your temp sender and gauge.
I think that running some mukowt for a short time, then taking the radiator out and flusing it with the hose (dont forget to rinse the engine too) shoulf not be more than one hour of work after the drive.
Surely you can find an hour?
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
That will depend on the functioning of your temp sender and gauge.
I think that running some mukowt for a short time, then taking the radiator out and flusing it with the hose (dont forget to rinse the engine too) shoulf not be more than one hour of work after the drive.
Surely you can find an hour?
thats if you know what you are doing.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
WheelsTurn
Starter Motor

I dont really know what im doing with removing the radiator and flushing it out. However I'm willing to jump in the deep end when i know i have a few days off and if i cant get myself out of the hole get a tow to my local mechanic and let him fix it.. I figure hands on is the best way to learn.

When you say running some mukowt, what do you mean ? I think i could probably get through removing the radiator but how would i flush the engine ? Do i just blast water up there ? Is there anything i should know before attempting these things ?

I've heard about airlocks, whats the proper way of avoiding that, do i just run the engine with the resovoir lid off ? Also, i felt the radiator after about an hours drive and the top of it feels hot but the bottom feels cool. Does that lend itself to the sediment build up theory ? I think i read somewhere that this is an indicator of this..