Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Top Gear - Focus ST... FREE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQM1NUmK3qA&search=focus

Enjoy all!

I can't believe the lift-off oversteer that thing gets! Would be a good comparison with my car... which Top Gear manage to do the same thing with EVERYTHING.

Anyone know what The Stig got around the track?

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...ptimes/thestig

According to that link, The Stig got 1 minute, 34.9 seconds... which is quicker then the 147 GTA!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Yeah, 1 min 34.9sec - "on a greasy track". Jeremy said it should beat a Golf GTi and a Astra VXR.

I wish my circumstances allowed me to get this car. I'm so mad at that guy who wrote off my old car.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this thing in a head to head battle with Golf GTi, which will HAVE to be in an upcoming edition of Motor/Wheels will be an interesting comparo.....

BFYB will be AWESOME as well, with the XR5 a GENUINE contender on performance and handling

Roll on a Lotto win for me....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQM1NUmK3qA&search=focus

Enjoy all!

I can't believe the lift-off oversteer that thing gets! Would be a good comparison with my car... which Top Gear manage to do the same thing with EVERYTHING.
Here's a thread on the UK ST forum started by a guy who went from a Clio 182 trophy to an ST....interesting reading.

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1614

The ST/XR5 will not handle like a Clio Sport, as it is a bigger car with a heavier donk sitting over the front axle which can ‘numb’ the steering response to a degree. The XR5 will have brilliant grip and corner very well, but the Clio will be far more agile and have considerably more direct steering, thus change direction with far more poise.

In fact I read a post by a guy who went from an ST170 with Eibach springs (same as I have) to the new ST, and he said the new ST was a step backwards in handling – so I’m not expecting to be overly impressed by the ‘on the limit’ handling when I get my XR5.

It needs to be remembered though that the new ST/XR5 in not meant to be a track racer, but rather a well mannered car that offers a very comfortable and relaxing ride, but one that can still offer a very rewarding driving experience when "you want to slick your hair back and give it some pastie".
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Now tell me the 5dr looks better. No effing way.
Old 15-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Now tell me the 5dr looks better. No effing way.
The 5 door looks better _2:
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I think the 5 door looks better too. The 3 door just seems to lack road presence in my opinion. But then, my last car was a 5 door so maybe I'm partial.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Well I guess I asked for that. I prefer 3 doors. But I don't have kids to stick in the back & don't intend to. : :
Old 16-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I love the look of the 5 door compared to the 3 door. The 3dr just looks a little plain.

Thanks orsest170 - that was a good read!

I always thought the Clio would handle better - only because the steering is hydralic, which is better at limits then electric steering. But as you have all said the XR5T is more a Hot Hatch with the ability to troll around the city and feel like a normal medium sized car.

This is most likely the reason I would like one also - The Clio is sooooo soft over speed humps (much more then the Fiesta!) which is unbelievable considering the cornering speeds it can achieve. Which is why I would love the Focus also, as I believe it would be pretty much the same.

Stay tunned for Matt (Zetec)'s review on the Clio 182 Cup vs Focus XR5T sometime within the next few days ;)

But yea - the XR5T is DEFINETELY on my "to buy" list for the next upgrade! Hopefully in 2 or 3 years time

*EDITTTTTTTTTT****

It was interesting to read they said the Focus ST was a little dull in hot weather - let's hope this is not the case, as Australia is a very hot country

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 16-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
I love the look of the 5 door compared to the 3 door. The 3dr just looks a little plain.
: :MrT_anim:
Old 16-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
: :MrT_anim:
Well, I've only ever owned a 3dr - but if the XR5T was available in 3dr, I'd still have the 5 door. Looks better, more practical and the rear windscreen is still raked the same I think - Unlike the Fiesta where the rear glass is more MPV like in the 5dr

Old 16-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
guym

Went to a car sjow in Adelaide last weekend and looked a quite a few cars, mini, golf gti audi A3, honda integra alfa romeo 147, Volvo s40, Mazda 6 sports and the focus xr5t all of which are in my price bracked when my lease is up on my current car and I have got to say the one I licked the most way the focus. Just looked the business, Wasn't sure what I was going to buy and thought I would be taking a lot of cars for test drive but now think I will only be taking one, even if I bother but instead just buy it.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
Lagom

Quote:
Stay tunned for Matt (Zetec)'s review on the Clio 182 Cup vs Focus XR5T sometime within the next few days ;)
Personally, they're different types of cars. A RenaultSport Clio is a lot more hard edged and pure raw fun than the XR5 - a Clio is like a little terrier that just zooms everywhere like a go kart.

The XR5/ST is fast and all, but it's not as chuckable as the RSC based on the few I've driven. Just a bit more mature in the drive - the Clio is more raw, seems to dance a bit better.

Two dynamic things I really have noticed, XR5's gearbox is nicer and the brakes are probably better too. If it matters, yes it rides better too
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Personally, they're different types of cars. A RenaultSport Clio is a lot more hard edged and pure raw fun than the XR5 - a Clio is like a little terrier that just zooms everywhere like a go kart.

The XR5/ST is fast and all, but it's not as chuckable as the RSC based on the few I've driven. Just a bit more mature in the drive - the Clio is more raw, seems to dance a bit better.

Two dynamic things I really have noticed, XR5's gearbox is nicer and the brakes are probably better too. If it matters, yes it rides better too
Yea, I understand they are two different type of Hot Hatches. The Clio is more Bang For Your Buck, raw, insane and fun. Good to compare the ST to the best Hot Hatch performance wise. I agree though, the Clio is very hardcore... But quite easy to drive around town too! (except the bad turning circle!)

Still, I think the next car will hopefully be an XR5T, considering you can have almost as much fun, but in a more spacious cabin. Works for me!

Old 17-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

What works for the XR5T is the suspension tune and comfort. It is so supremely comfortable even at the limit and I loved the balancebetween sporty and comfort. That is naturally afforded by the heavier carweight and the Control Blade IRS which smaller cars wouldn't have, amazing what an IRS system will do for balance and on the limit compliance.

The XR5T is a heavy car, vs my Zetec with KW springs it's nowhere near as chuckable and flicky around corners at all. I can more than easily adjust my car on the throttle and brakes just as I wish. What differs with the XR5T is the power and CRIKEY that's what really matters. It's quite deceiving, the XR5T hammers between the corners and on the contisport contact tyres it is amazginly grippy through the corners too, quite well balanced. When you adjust you driving style away from the style you'd use in an ST170/Zetec where by you simply turn in and have fun, the XR5T is much faster. You simply have to rely a little more on the brakes to setup the car for the corner, then feed the power through the corner as you go. But don't worry about that either, because it more than had the brakes to match the power!!

I'll be driving/driven in the Clio Cup this arvo, I'll let you know of my review but I'm expecting the same as Lagom has experienced. Can't wait!!!