Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

Default Towbar for Titanium diesel hatch - 2011/2012 model

We have a Focus Titanium Hatch Diesel 2Lt auto. Ours was bought in April 2012 so I'm not sure if its a 2011 or 2012 model. It says 2012 on the rego, but says the engine made in 2011.

We want to fit a tow bar. On the Hayman Reece website, it says that it won't fit on the Titanuim model. Does anyone have a tow bar on their Titanium ? I did call ford today, but they wanted to know the VIN number of the car, but I was at work so I didn't have the number with me at the time.

Thanks

Aaron

Azz1azz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Towbar for Titanium diesel hatch - 2011/2012 model

Try aftermarket when you do your research. Are you meaning it doesnt list titanium but lower spec models?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

The Hayman Reece one says "Does not suit XR5/Titanium/1.6L LW Ambient Petrol Powershift 1.6L/2L LW Sport/Trend Hatch auto"

Reading what it says above and below (I cut and pasted the table on the Hayman Reece website), Im confused, as my Wifes car is a 2L Diesel Auto/Powershift Titanium Hatch.

I'll call Ford with the VIN number tomorrow to see what they say first. I'll try to buy an aftermarket one, if possible. But I have a feeling the Park Assist, and rear Sensors may make this model of the Focus unable to take a tow bar.

OFF HAYMAN REECE WEBSITE: Product : 02865W Description: FORD FOCUS Hatch CategoryTOWBARS & HITCH RECEIVERS MakeFORD ModelFocus Model VariantHatch. Does not suit XR5/Titanium/1.6L LW Ambient Petrol Powershift 1.6L/2L LW Sport/Trend Hatch autoYear08/2011 - 08/2012 Rating/Ball Weight900/90 KGLug No. (included)7364 Tail Length1200mm Exposed/ConcealedC ECU (Not included)Not applicable Shipping Weight15 KGRRP (Exc installation charges)$418.20
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hmmm in the LV booklet I think the xr5 doesn't have a tow rating. Perhaps LW is the same? As for the titanium, can't help. Perhaps the factory hitch has a module that bypasses the gadgetry that HR can't provide.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

I phoned Ford and they said no. I gave them my VIN no
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

Ill call around to other places
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

I had to post this message, so I am up to 5 posts, so now I can PM another forum user who seems to have a towbar on their Diesel Titanium Hatch. Ill see how that did it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
ritaben
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azz1azz View Post
We have a Focus Titanium Hatch Diesel 2Lt auto. Ours was bought in April 2012 so I'm not sure if its a 2011 or 2012 model. It says 2012 on the rego, but says the engine made in 2011.

We want to fit a tow bar. On the Hayman Reece website, it says that it won't fit on the Titanuim model. Does anyone have a tow bar on their Titanium ? I did call ford today, but they wanted to know the VIN number of the car, but I was at work so I didn't have the number with me at the time.

Thanks

Aaron
Ford in Coffs Harbour fitted a Hayman Reece towbar to our Titanium (petrol) when we purchased the car new June 2012.
The only thing they couldn't do was setup the message/symbol we are supposed to get on screen when a trailer is connected, stated Ford didn't have an approved towbar harness. Don't know why it is in the manual then.

Cheers
ritaben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if it is the shape of the rear bumper/exhaust that means they do not make them for that variant or if it is the gearbox limitations?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

Thanks Ritaben

Ours is the Diesel auto/powershift. What gearbox do you have ?

I will let the local Hayman Reece know that you have one on yours.

If I could be a pain and get you to take a few photo's of where the tow bar attaches under your car (to the bumper or chassis), you could PM me and send them to my email address. I had a good look under my wifes Focus last night to see where it would attach to, and it was difficult to work out exactly where it does attach to.

It seems (talking to the local Hayman Reece supplier) that if the chassis build date is Pre August 2011 then they can fit one, and after August 2011 then you cant. But can again fit one on a chassis built after Aug 2012 (for the Titanium Model) So it seems it depends on when the actual chassis is built. But if you have one on your car, then maybe it will fit them all. Maybe it just doesn't tie in with the Dash display/computer properly, so that's why Ford wont say that theirs does fit.

On the inside of the drivers door, it says the engine was built in Nov 2011. But don't know if that means the chassis was also, or if there is another place to look for the date the chassis was built.

Thanks

Aaron

Last edited by Azz1azz; 02-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
ritaben
Starter Motor

Build date for our Titanium is Sept 2011. Powershift Transmission.
Towbar is fitted into the chassis rail ends and bolted through.

Last edited by ritaben; 07-07-2013 at 04:36 PM.
ritaben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Azz1azz
Starter Motor

Thanks Ritaben

I can clearly see how they mounted it. Looks like they did have to grind away a little bit on the cover, to get their fingers in, to push the bolt through the chassis.

Aaron