Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Should we get...
VW Golf 2002-2004(private) 10 9.62%
2009 Ford Focus CL(new) 60 57.69%
2007/8 BF2 Ford Falcon XT(Auctions) 29 27.88%
2005/6 BF Ford Falcon XT 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What should we get...

My mum needs a new car
so its out of:

2001-4 VW Golf
2009 Ford Focus CL Brand new
2007/8 Falcon XT (auctions)+still has remaining warranty
2005/6 Falcon XT (auctions)

What would you get and why?

It has to be Auto...

cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Brand new Focus. Because its new and cheap to run and has new car warranty.

Depends on her needs though.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You'll get a large mix on here, largely supporting the local cars for their value. Safe, economical for a large car and cheap/realiable to run. Certainly won't go wrong with a Falcon, the newer the better based on what you can afford.

The Focus CL won't get a lot of love from many here simply based on most people owning Falcons already. Despite being brand new with a warranty, 4 airbags, ABS, all the features you'd get standard on an XT (except maybe DSC now) and other than that very economical and perfect for someone not dragging a family around. It's also strongly worth mentioning that it's another new sale for Ford which is unashamedly a good thing for Ford and for the country!

The VW probably won't get as much support but will also be a very good car. Clearly you've picked it based on a preference, maybe a like of the design/solidity/economy or some other reason. No doubt they're a great car as they're very popular AND actually have good reviews in the media, unlike cars like Corolla that sell... but not always based on the same reasoning.

Ultimately it will come down to whatever's important to your Mum. A good salesperson will always look at what the customer is currently driving and spend the bulk of their time asking questions about what their needs and uses are, what they like and importantly what they're used to. No point trying to sell an Excel to someone coming out of a used S-Class Merc for example, even if they're on a budget. You'd always try to find the car that will serve the purpose, but still compliment the owner's previous car. At least a good salesperson will. That way they won't regret replacing their car, even if they had no option. Nothing worse than hating the car you buy, you'll be far less likely to go back there for your next vehicle, which is really what a brand wants customers to do, based on them being sold the right car to suit their needs and lifestyle.

Since we're all proxy salespeople for you, without knowing you Mum's current car, needs and individual loves of her current car, I can only assume that all things being as equal as possible, budget included, she seems to have around $20k to spend.

I personally would go the newer Focus based on my own needs and appreciation of how to spend the $20k. They're doing under $20,000 Drive Away on 2008 plate LT focus manual CL at the moment, and I guess $2,000 more for auto. Either that or a 12 month old BFII XT for around the same price. Not so sure you'd sneak an FG in there at that price just yet but at least a 12 month old car would still have factory warranty left.

Hope it helps somewhat.

Go the Ford :
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on how often she drives, what she will use it for, and what size of vehicle is her preference.

With so little information, it's quite hard to realistically suggest anything.

Also got to look at the amount of money you want to spend.
A Falcon at auction I would have thought would cost between 12-15k, while the Focus brand new will cost about 20k.
Does she want the peace of mind that a new car will offer?

The Golf appears to go for between 8-15.

If she doesn't drive often or just wants a car to go shopping and such, then a small car will do fine. Which one comes down to price and specs.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Personally it would be between the Golf and the Focus, no point in getting a barge.
The CL is too basic but it also depends on what model Golf too.
The Golf is a solid quality vehicle, however servicing can be expensive.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
nfury8

Go the focus, gr8 little car. Get up and go pretty good considering
nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went for the BF II as its still under new car warranty and obviously Aussie made. Unfortunately you have to have an auto which in the focus lacks the power even in the 2 ltr. The poll would have helped you alot better if you narrowed it down to atleast either 4cyl or small to mid size car. If after a small car the Toyota Corolla is very reliable and cheap to run.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
IIf after a small car the Toyota Corolla is very reliable and cheap to run.
Sir, go to the bathroom and wash out your mouth with soap.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
If after a small car the Toyota Corolla is very reliable and cheap to run.
Havnt you read the FORD adds of late?? But apart from that, had a Corolla for a higher car for a week recently ......... Oh dear, what a piece of poo! Would buy a Hyundai i30 .... and about 10 others before I got into another one.

Out of those, the Focus seems to be good driveaways at the moment. Have a look at Mazda 3's as well but just a little more expensive. Seriously have a look at some of the new Hyundai's as well ..... they are getting way better

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Diesel Focus with the Powershift DSG... great car! ;)But auto would be a good choice...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
RS350
Custom User Title Title

Fiesta would be my pick and it should be in that price range too.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

You have 2 very different types of cars their. Big cars and Smaller cars. Which would she prefer?
If she wants a big car then go for the Falcon, if she wants a small car then she can't go wrong with either the VW or the Focus, both great cars. VWs are awesome, but Parts can be expensive and they do thing a little differently to other manufacturers that some mechanics might have trouble with. Not sure about parts for the focus but havn't heard any bad words about them.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erusur
Fiesta would be my pick and it should be in that price range too.

for my mum fiesta would be my pick aswell.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Cheeks, get a BF2 XT with the ZF 6spd auto :
seriously, auctions= cheap _2:
cheers, Anthony
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I voted Focus purely because its new, great little car under rated by the general public I think
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Buy whatever is practical for her lifestyle. Sure a Golf is a great car, and so is the Focus. But if she is hauling adults around and needs lots of baggage space and the ability to tow the family caravan or trailer, then neither of these would be any good.

On the other hand a Falcon has room to burn, but its big so if she isnt confident at reverse parking a large car it will prob scare her. If she only needs a run about and all the kids are out of home, then a Falcon would almost be a waste.

Its really 'horses for courses' when it comes to buying a car. First find out what she wants it for before you look for spacific models!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus because it's brand new, under warranty and never been thrashed, bashed or broken!

I drive past a couple of large Panelbeaters on my way to work every day, interesting to see the range of "near new cars" they have parked out the front all smashed up waiting for repairs.

These cars have latest rego plates on them and are a total mess! .... no doubt these cars will be tomorrow's "low mileage bargains" on Carsales etc.

Not saying that all near new cars are like this of course, but there are plenty of them, personally I don't think it's worth the risk just to save a couple of thousand bucks.

I would always buy new if at all possible.

Not to mention of course that the Focus is a good unit and is Europe's biggest selling car .... don't know why it doesn't get the recognition over here it deserves and sell a bit better?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Personally I'd go the Focus; they are a very good, well priced car. If you had a Golf V as a choice I would probably pick that, but then I'm not your mum lol.

But it depends on your mums requirements, which you haven't listed. Does she need to ferry about a carload of kids and baggage, drive huge distances, park in the city, impress clients etc.

I know my mum wouldn't get a Focus or a Golf because she likes having a powerful engine (Although I know both the Focus and Golf have powerful engines for their class).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem about getting a focus is for about $5k +/- LESS you can get a hole lot more car for the money.
We have ruled out the golf due to electronics and it being german...
So its virtually out of a 6sp Auto Falcon XT or a new Auto Focus
Ive heard stories about the focus being brilliant then i hear them of how they fall apart and im afraid they'll be the next laser...
And also the falcon would have better/good resale due to it being 6sp and last of the BF's.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #20
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i voted focus being it is new and we all know ford au can use every sale they can get

if the funds could go as far as a new fg xt or simular then i would have voted for that as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
monte.b

Smile

ive driven a focuc and a vww ,didnt like either ,why do they have to have the blinker on the wrong side so when you turn it on the wipers come on ,just cheapscapes ,my daughter bought a nissan tida ,now thats a nice car to drive plenty of room and the blinker is on the correct side ,tied the toyotoes but they rev like mad but go nowhere so its nissan tida for me ,but its not in the poll ,regards ,Monte.b
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b
ive driven a focuc and a vww ,didnt like either ,why do they have to have the blinker on the wrong side so when you turn it on the wipers come on ,just cheapscapes ,my daughter bought a nissan tida ,now thats a nice car to drive plenty of room and the blinker is on the correct side ,tied the toyotoes but they rev like mad but go nowhere so its nissan tida for me ,but its not in the poll ,regards ,Monte.b
If your mum is, how do i say this nicely. Rather old, then maybe the Tiida.

Sure it's easy enough to get in and out of with reasonable space. BUT, it's ugly, doesn't handle well at all, so-so refinement, cheap design. It's not well liked in the market which is why it's 1000's cheaper new and sells a fraction of the earlier Pulsars. Have you seen the people driving Tiidas? They are geriatric.

It would be my last choice in the small car segment.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
If your mum is, how do i say this nicely. Rather old, then maybe the Tiida.

Sure it's easy enough to get in and out of with reasonable space. BUT, it's ugly, doesn't handle well at all, so-so refinement, cheap design. It's not well liked in the market which is why it's 1000's cheaper new and sells a fraction of the earlier Pulsars. Have you seen the people driving Tiidas? They are geriatric.

It would be my last choice in the small car segment.
its no uglier than any other small car ,i thought it handled very well ,a lot better car to drive than my sisters new toyoto ,my daughter is a nurse and is not that old ,what has that got to do with the question in hand ,the finish is very good as is the after sales service ,lots of older people drive fords too including me so does that make fords no good either , it would my first choice in a new car ,regards ,Monte.b
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I voted Focus, great little car, well built, handles very well, very good looking and is better than any other hatch you can get i think, well except maybe the Mondeo lol
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

What is she driving now? How old is she? How capable is she with spacial awareness and the like?
I voted for the Focus too, as a brand new car it should last her to the end of her driving days (of course depending on age), and as her skills/reaction times deteriorate, the smaller car will still be easier for her to handle.

My grandfather had a EF falcon towards the end of his days, and it was starting to show evidence of his skills going downhill.
He hit the accelerator instead of the brake and wrote one off in his garage, then smashed the mirror off the replacement by being too close to parked cars. There were lots of other scrapes and bumps, until he was finally convinced to hand in his licence after 60 years of driving with a perfect record.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

she had a honda civic coupe : but we have sold it ...
Hahahaha shes only 50 so her driving days are just starting :p but yeah we'd only have the car for 5 years so... The focus seems the way to go atm...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek
she had a honda civic coupe : but we have sold it ...
Hahahaha shes only 50 so her driving days are just starting :p but yeah we'd only have the car for 5 years so... The focus seems the way to go atm...
Sorry, you didn't include that info in the opening post, so it was just covering bases.

If she's used to the Civic, then I'd stick to a small car. If anything bigger is required for trips, or occasional things, then by the looks of your signature that is already well covered in the family!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #28
EL_Mont

I'd definitely go for a BF, but I would only get an LPG one.

Why, because they cost the same to run as a very small car but instead you get a big comfy car, cheap to insure, cheap parts, etc.

Only downside I can think of is the resale in the future.
EL_Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If she's used to the Civic, then I'd stick to a small car. If anything bigger is required for trips, or occasional things, then by the looks of your signature that is already well covered in the family!
Yeah she'd like to get a safer car and the falcon is just such good value, we do already have an awesome falcon but shes drivin that and she says "it handles like a REAL car"... Im trying to talk my dad to take a day off and go to the auctions. Im fairly sure if we dont get one of the 6sp XT's that are at the auctions currently we will most likely get a focus. So wish me luck everyone!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #30
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

With that info, she'll want the Falcon. Seems she wants a 'real car'.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post