Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Noise When Steering

Well this one has been happening for a little while now, just wondering what the most likely problem would be and how many dollars I'd be up for to get it fixed.

Basically, when steering, there is a bit of a clunking/grinding (hard to explain!) noise coming from the front of the car. It only really seems to happen just off centre in either direction, in that if I go from dead straight to hard lock its only for the first part of the turn of the wheel.

I'm hoping its not too serious and deathly, or if it is, I'm hoping its not an expensive fix. Any help/advice appreciated, thanks!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

sounds very similar to mine..
have you replaced your ball joints?
if not, try that..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

No I haven't replaced ball joints. Might have to have a chat to my mechanic. Thanks!

I was also thinking it might be steering rack related which I believe to be big dollars?
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

tends to be the first thing to check...
you may have bushes in the front that are getting a bit old too..
jump under the front with a bit of WD40 and give all the bushes a quick spray..
if the problem is just a squeaky bush then that will tell you..
then you won't have to change the ball joints..

also spray at the top of the strut tower where the rubber is..

what i've found is, when the rainy season starts the car becomes a little more squeaky up front.. i put it down to the rain washing all the oil or lube off some of the front components causing them to squeak and rub..
just my crazy theory..

hope this helps mate..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

also if it is a steering rack.. a changeover unit is often only a few hundred dollars...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks mate, might get under the car on the weekend with a can of magic and see if that does the trick, can't hurt to try it and see how it goes!
Quote:
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

that's what i said.. then i found a few bushes and lower ball joints were gone..
happy days!!!
haha
good luck!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

not sure if I can say this but there is a shop on ebay which has cheap ball joints, hubs and rotors....got my upper and lower ball joints left and right for $55 + postage...rotors were $90 for 2 fo the front and wheel bearing hubs $50 each plus postage....name is suzukisuper and they have quite a bit of stuff and their service is gr8 too.....a rarity these days. If your in Syd it gets better as they have a fitting service too
jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
AuV8Fairlane
Fast Lanes Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Basically, when steering, there is a bit of a clunking/grinding (hard to explain!) noise coming from the front of the car. It only really seems to happen just off centre in either direction, in that if I go from dead straight to hard lock its only for the first part of the turn of the wheel.
I had the exact same type of noise, it ended up being the steering rack, my mate is a mechanic who has seen this on quite a few AU's. All he did was loosen the 2 steering rack retaining nuts and let the rack slide forward in the threads just enough so he could get some copper grease on the back of the rack mounting face and the start of the mounting bolt where it appears out of the alloy crossmember. Wound the retaining nuts back up nice and tight with a long bar and never heard it since.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Cam
Stroking it...

The Monty had a similar problem, his rack was loose...
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post