Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 Conversion questions

Well guys as my signature states i intend to convert my AU wagon to V8 sometime this year. I have had a think and it is possible if i get my rear end into gear i could have everything sorted and ready to go in my mid year break from uni. (2 weeks)

I have a stock 175/185kw V8 out of a 2001 XLS ute, along with the gearbox, and bellhousing from the same ute. I have a couple of V8 clutch cables and all of the accesories ie water pump, power steering pump etc. This is due to me stripping the entire motor and gearbox out of the ute.

I also have picked up a series 3 XR8 ute ECU which is compatible with my car (being series 3) and the entire wiring loom from gearbox to motor and through the firewall to connect into the ecu. Along with the exhust of the XR8 ute.

I also need to get appropiate paper work from either ford or a qualified mechanic to say that the brakes, suspension and structure of the car meet or exceed that of a fairmont V8 wagon which used the same effective (power rated) motor as the one i plan to use out of the ute.

I have a few questions however so if you can help in anyway that would be much appreciated.

# Are the power steering hoses different from 6cly to V8 (pretty sure they are but not 100% and i don't know where i have put them if i kept them)?

# Will the stock 6cly wagon fuel pump do for the time being or not if not what would be recommended keeping in mind i will either stroke this motor or get a 347ci crate motor?

# Is it possible to keep the aircon in the engine bay (removed from the motor) to avoid having to regas it?

# Will a 6cly radiator be ok for now or not?

# Are the throttle and cruise control cables the same?

# Is the 'K' frame suitable for both 6 and 8 cly motors or not?

# Would i have to have it flash tuned as it will be running a stock XR8 ecu but with a base v8 sith only XR8 exhuast and intake manifold??

# If i have everything ready and go ahead in the mid year break i will be limited on time however if the motor comes out should i look at getting the firewall reinforced where the clutch cable comes through. Also should i take out the pedal box and get the clutch pedal reinforced??

# Also is it hard to change the intake manifold from the base one to the XR8 one and is there any point. ie; are they actually different??

Also just trying to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me.

New clutch kit $350
Gasket kit for intake and exhuast manifold $50
Tune ECU to car at ford $121 (had this done to get the manual ecu sorted)
towing down to for to get ECU tuned $100
Exhaust tailpipe (different to ute one) $150
Oil filter/ fuel filter and oil $150
Raditor if needed will be getting a good one $500
Flash tune if needed $1500
Total $3410

is there anything i am missing or anything i have got wrong in terms of costs or what needs doing. Pretty much if i go ahead in the break i want to know exactly what i need to do and how much it will cost. I have now got the funds due to selling my old wagon so i want to hopefully do it before i spend the money elsewhere.

I have to say a big thanks to anyone who can offer some help in any shape or form as it is much appreciated.

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't have a clue about the majority of your questions but I can tell you that the Explorer manifolds between the 175 and the 220 are the same. It was the Heads that were ported.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Well guys as my signature states i intend to convert my AU wagon to V8 sometime this year. I have had a think and it is possible if i get my rear end into gear i could have everything sorted and ready to go in my mid year break from uni. (2 weeks)

I have a stock 175/185kw V8 out of a 2001 XLS ute, along with the gearbox, and bellhousing from the same ute. I have a couple of V8 clutch cables and all of the accesories ie water pump, power steering pump etc. This is due to me stripping the entire motor and gearbox out of the ute.

I also have picked up a series 3 XR8 ute ECU which is compatible with my car (being series 3) and the entire wiring loom from gearbox to motor and through the firewall to connect into the ecu. Along with the exhust of the XR8 ute.

I also need to get appropiate paper work from either ford or a qualified mechanic to say that the brakes, suspension and structure of the car meet or exceed that of a fairmont V8 wagon which used the same effective (power rated) motor as the one i plan to use out of the ute.

I have a few questions however so if you can help in anyway that would be much appreciated.

# Are the power steering hoses different from 6cly to V8 (pretty sure they are but not 100% and i don't know where i have put them if i kept them)? Yes

# Will the stock 6cly wagon fuel pump do for the time being or not if not what would be recommended keeping in mind i will either stroke this motor or get a 347ci crate motor? For the time being, it should be fine

# Is it possible to keep the aircon in the engine bay (removed from the motor) to avoid having to regas it? No, The V8 A/C Pump is different

# Will a 6cly radiator be ok for now or not? Yes, I have one in my XR8

# Are the throttle and cruise control cables the same? Not Sure

# Is the 'K' frame suitable for both 6 and 8 cly motors or not? AFAIK, Yes

# Would i have to have it flash tuned as it will be running a stock XR8 ecu but with a base v8 sith only XR8 exhuast and intake manifold?? Shouldn't need to, but it may help

# If i have everything ready and go ahead in the mid year break i will be limited on time however if the motor comes out should i look at getting the firewall reinforced where the clutch cable comes through. Also should i take out the pedal box and get the clutch pedal reinforced?? It wouldn't hurt to do it before it cracks

# Also is it hard to change the intake manifold from the base one to the XR8 one and is there any point. ie; are they actually different?? No point, manifolds are the same

New clutch kit $350
Total $3410

is there anything i am missing or anything i have got wrong in terms of costs or what needs doing. Pretty much if i go ahead in the break i want to know exactly what i need to do and how much it will cost. I have now got the funds due to selling my old wagon so i want to hopefully do it before i spend the money elsewhere.

I have to say a big thanks to anyone who can offer some help in any shape or form as it is much appreciated.

Cheers, Rhys
Answers are in bold, I hope that helps.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have answers for you but a question..Would you be selling the 6cyl T5 (and the whole conversion stuff provided you can't/don't use it for the V8)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
AU_Wagin

when you put it in, it will look like this

Ray
Old 23-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish lol

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Wagin
when you put it in, it will look like this

Ray

Yeah well i hope. Is that a T-series motor?? Looks very very clean i approve

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF

I don't have answers for you but a question..Would you be selling the 6cyl T5 (and the whole conversion stuff provided you can't/don't use it for the V8)
May end up selling some of it however would probably keep the T5 as i may need parts down the track or if i stick with a T5 behind it when it is worked/stroked i will probably rebuild it so i will be happy having a second box for when the first lets go. Having said that i do have a spare pedal box and gear lever. Can't think of anything else i having lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8

Originally Posted by bartsau

# Are the power steering hoses different from 6cly to V8 (pretty sure they are but not 100% and i don't know where i have put them if i kept them)? Yes

# Will the stock 6cly wagon fuel pump do for the time being or not if not what would be recommended keeping in mind i will either stroke this motor or get a 347ci crate motor? For the time being, it should be fine

# Is it possible to keep the aircon in the engine bay (removed from the motor) to avoid having to regas it? No, The V8 A/C Pump is different

# Will a 6cly radiator be ok for now or not? Yes, I have one in my XR8

# Are the throttle and cruise control cables the same? Not Sure

# Is the 'K' frame suitable for both 6 and 8 cly motors or not? AFAIK, Yes

# Would i have to have it flash tuned as it will be running a stock XR8 ecu but with a base v8 sith only XR8 exhuast and intake manifold?? Shouldn't need to, but it may help

# If i have everything ready and go ahead in the mid year break i will be limited on time however if the motor comes out should i look at getting the firewall reinforced where the clutch cable comes through. Also should i take out the pedal box and get the clutch pedal reinforced?? It wouldn't hurt to do it before it cracks

# Also is it hard to change the intake manifold from the base one to the XR8 one and is there any point. ie; are they actually different?? No point, manifolds are the same

New clutch kit $350
Total $3410

Cheers, Rhys

Answers are in bold, I hope that helps.
Cheers mater that certainly sheds some light on matters. Much appreciated.

Toy Car Build
Old 24-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
AU_Wagin

Yes, it is a 5.6 T series motor
Old 27-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a bit of an update: Bold is new stuff

Quote:

# Are the power steering hoses different from 6cly to V8 (pretty sure they are but not 100% and i don't know where i have put them if i kept them)? Yes they definately are and new ones will be about $80.

# Will the stock 6cly wagon fuel pump do for the time being or not if not what would be recommended keeping in mind i will either stroke this motor or get a 347ci crate motor? Should be ok, otherwise what do people suggest??

# Is it possible to keep the aircon in the engine bay (removed from the motor) to avoid having to regas it? The aircon compressor is the same part however the alloy mounting is different. So long as i can get the motor in and out with the compressor sitting to one side yes i can keep the 6cly one in there.

# Will a 6cly radiator be ok for now or not? Yes for now it will be fine

# Are the throttle and cruise control cables the same? Cruise is definately different, i have a v8 cruise control unit however not too sure if it will plug and play (should do though). Throttle i will continue to try and find out

# Is the 'K' frame suitable for both 6 and 8 cly motors or not? 99% sure they are the same. Have not been told otherwise yet. Furthermore the Ute chassis i sold with the V8 'K' frame was fitted with a 6cly and they didn't change the 'K' frame.

# Would i have to have it flash tuned as it will be running a stock XR8 ecu but with a base v8 sith only XR8 exhuast and intake manifold?? Still not 100% sure but have been told it should be ok but would be better if flash tuned.

# If i have everything ready and go ahead in the mid year break i will be limited on time however if the motor comes out should i look at getting the firewall reinforced where the clutch cable comes through. Also should i take out the pedal box and get the clutch pedal reinforced?? Pedal box will be happening definately and as for the firewall i will see but i may not have the resources to do this as i don't have a welder at home and i don't know anyone who could come and do it. Plus it would need to be done at a guess without the motor to make life easier.

# Also is it hard to change the intake manifold from the base one to the XR8 one and is there any point. ie; are they actually different?? No they are the same.

New clutch kit $350
Powersteering pipes $80
Radiator not needed
Total $2501 compared with my original estimate of $2921(not $3410 as written before)

That doesn't include any other little tit bits etc.

Cheers, Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 27-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also just one other quick question can you do a compression test on a motor when it is out of the car??

Toy Car Build
Old 28-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit what could be another problem today. The power steering coolers are different between the v8's a 6's and the v8 one i have is busted. Plus they are obsolete from ford so just wondering is there a good quality aftermarket part?? Or what would other people suggest. Just get one made up from some piping?? Or could you use a small auto cooler??

Toy Car Build
Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't use something from a B Series car for your steering cooler?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post