Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should traction control be disabled on unsealed roads?

See subject. Kicked in a couple of times today when I was on a backroad, I didn't even realise it was TC until I caught the light on for a moment the second time. I wasn't exactly driving hard and I couldn't hear or feel any slipping.

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTW the reason I knew that TC was activated each time was because I heard a faint buzzing noise from the front (ABS unit?)
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
NOT 347

IMO Traction Control should be illegal.

It kills the fun!!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
WeirdEL

1. If you know how to drive on dirt roads, turn it off.
2. If you don't know how to drive on dirt roads, learn how and then see item 1.

Sometimes the ONLY way around a corner on dirt is to get the back end loose and go around sideways but the traction control is there to stop just that.
Old 20-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdEL
Sometimes the ONLY way around a corner on dirt is to get the back end loose and go around sideways but the traction control is there to stop just that.
Agreed... If you're driving on kitty litter and you're not backing the car in to the corners, you're not driving...

I've never driven a TC car on dirt, but I've found that ABS on dirt can be very unpredictable, and often outright dangerous... Anyone else had the same experience?

Sorry to hijack...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
WeirdEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Agreed... If you're driving on kitty litter and you're not backing the car in to the corners, you're not driving...

I've never driven a TC car on dirt, but I've found that ABS on dirt can be very unpredictable, and often outright dangerous... Anyone else had the same experience?

Sorry to hijack...
CAMS issued a notice to the Porche Cup drivers to advise them to turn off ABS. Seems the ABS stopped the tyres digging into the gravel traps with the result that the cars just kept going until they hit the wall...
Old 20-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Absolutely. Unlike bitumen, a little bit of lock helps give the tyres something to hang onto... with ABS doing its thing you just skip along on top of the gravel.

Not nice.

TC would just be boring wouldnt it!??!
Old 20-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Traction control is great for oil on wet roads at lights and in a few other situations. But I turn it of on some rough dirt roads as it can be annoying and drive to suit the road conditions.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Traction control can be good on good roads and bad on unsealed roads.

Although Ford did work on it for dirt roads its is pretty useless.

The ABS can be frightening on dirt roads though. Try it on loose gravel and you will see what I mean!

I know you are supposed to panic brake but continue sterring but you sort of expect it to slow down a bit too.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Once I was at a night party up at a farm and when it came time for every one to leave we literally almost floated the whole way down the muddy exit track because it had just poured down. Even with no throttle, the TC was engaged all the way at idle and all I could do was try and keep the thing going straight, even with a lot of turn in the wheel and a slow sideways drift. It was scary!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

just came back from some rally driving ... and i would hate to think how boring it would have been with TC ... lol, on a serious note, driving on dirt is rather easy, its takes only 5min to get the ahng of it, just take its easy for teh first few corners, but you quickly can feel how the car handles and behaves ...

ABS - THE DEVIL!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post