Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #421
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Redbook has my 2015 Hyundai i20 as $10k. It was $15k new !! Not complaining....
Old 02-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #422
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I don’t think dealers will spend the time driving the vehicle to tyre kickers houses to go for a drive then say Na.. they would basically want a deposit paid before they made the car available to inspect. Hence you have already missed the opportunity to inspect and negotiate based on faults found. Or buyers making the dealer bring out the vehicle, sanitise it, then receive a lowball offer. It just doesn’t work
You might not think they would, but they are. If that is what they have to do to sell cars they will do it.

Rather than just theorise, do a quick google search...you will find you are wrong. No deposit, no obligation. Plenty are doing it.

But you do you - make-up a fake scenario then get angry at it.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #423
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I don’t think dealers will spend the time driving the vehicle to tyre kickers houses to go for a drive then say Na.. they would basically want a deposit paid before they made the car available to inspect. Hence you have already missed the opportunity to inspect and negotiate based on faults found. Or buyers making the dealer bring out the vehicle, sanitise it, then receive a lowball offer. It just doesn’t work
Rubbish, old neighbour is a car salesman, he stops in home regularly with vehicles he's either taken to show or is about to take to show prospective buyers.
Quite often I'll ask if he landed the sale and quite often the answer is no.
They don't ask for a deposit first, wouldn't be worth the hassle taking and returning deposits all the time.
If the car is priced appropriately it should sell, if it isn't and gets sent back thats the dealers problem.

Dealing over the phone is no different to face to face, they ask the right questions to qualify you and go from there.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #424
prydey
Rob

I've never had a major problem selling cars. Of course, like most, I price them with a small amount of wiggle room as that's just human psychology 101. People feel better if they can knock a few bucks off.

Always been amused at those who turn up and start pointing out all the faults of the used car they are looking at, as though it has been priced as fault free. I tell them those faults are the reason it's priced how it is and generally why it's cheaper than most others advertised.

I guess some folk just like to feel they're the boss.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #425
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Also have you noticed used car dealers offering a contactless buying experience? Ha... So you expect someone to buy without an inspection? Do they think people were born yesterday? To sell their lemons

Used cars have so many variables, the seller sees the damage on the back door as a unavoidable nothing ding, the buyer sees it as a $2000 fix. The seller sees the tyres as good for another two years, the buyer sees them as 90% worn requiring urgent replacement. it's always been buyer beware.. sellers try and oversell, hide all the blemishes and oil leaks, buyers have to flush out the seedy gearbox, clunking diff and burning oil.

Years back dealers would never talk to you on the phone if you made an offer, it was always come to the yard and then we talk.. now they wanna talk by phone?? Ha..

You can't buy a used car contactless, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.. you must Inspect the car

Well you can sell them sight unseen. The last 3 cars I’ve sold went interstate with no inspections, and they weren’t cheap crap boxes either.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #426
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i sold my pj ranger to people in darwin, from sydney. the price was in the upper quarter of the market, they offered a price, i said i want full asking price and they brought it unseen. there was good interest in it, but some poeple are to slow recognize an ok car.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #427
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sometimes wonder if car companies are listening to too much of their own BS?

According to the experts nobody was buying large cars any more, and we were all meant to be driving cheap Chinese cars or EVs.
Hasn't happened though.

People are now buying SUVs and 4wds, that are heavier and more expensive than the cars they replaced.
The market is nolonger flooded with cheap Falcons and Commodes,
and even when wokers are sucked into buying wHybrids, the simple fact is that they are substantially more expensive than the alternative.

The lack of supply for many models, not only pushes up the new-car price (with most forced to pay full retail) but pushes up demand and prices for late model 2nd hand cars as well.

Desirable models of the Falcon and Commode are already into the appreciating bracket.
I have no idea how sustainable that is.
At a guessI would say that there is a marked taper off in interest in those below 40, with little in those under 30. But that still gives 40 years before the full effect of that is felt in the 2nd hand market.
Whilst currently you have Boomers retiring with more cash than they can possibly spend, and even a lot of gen-Xs are getting to the point where kids are gone and they can finally buy that car they have always dreamed off.
And the weird thing is that this time around, our improving resources sector has yet to trigger the usual surge in the AUD.

If you're talking about non-"collectables", then it's certainly a good time to sell most models, and not a smart time to buy. BUT that also depends on how quickly other countries recover from Covid. Fact is that in many places we haven't seen the worst of it.
People may end up buying more Chinese crap simply because they're the only ones with the production capacity.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #428
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I believe we are almost more than ever aspiring to be like North America; it’s natural that car choices will reflect.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #429
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone I know who's been waiting for the market to crash like Fiji has said it will, has either paid the covid tax or just watched the prices skyrocket out of their budgets. Few blokes now in serious pain waiting for the FPV market to "crash" or "stabilise" so they can get a car. FG2 F6's have gone bananas, anything between $60-65k was selling immediately, so sellers have upped the prices to $75k plus. The good Mk1's are chasing them now too, average ones are just sitting there.

The market is red hot and strong, it is also stable in the collectible end. Anything non collectible might see the **** fall out of it a little but not a lot. No one is going to panic sell a car for half of what they bought it for. I definitely won't.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #430
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Crazy Dazz;6610035]I

............Whilst currently you have Boomers retiring with more cash than they can possibly spend, .........

There would be many more boomers not in that category, than in it. What the hell has society today, got in their heads about "Boomers"

You're flaming insulting people who new what tough times were, and struggled to put a meal on the table for their kids. Many of them don't even own a home, let alone a flaming palace.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #431
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GCXR6 there will be a spread of material outcomes for any generation, but the biggest issue for those younger is a housing price to average wage of 1.5-3:1 for the baby boom generation, compared to 6-10:1 for people today. After that it is a generally buoyant employment market in the 1960-80s s compared to since. I know about the 17% 1980s interest rates - but now we're in zombie-land with 0.25% RBA rates and enormous debt loads.
The entire asset bubble since the 80s has spectacularly benefited the Boomers, to the extent that a 'Land Boomer' (200 Series + massive dual axle caravan) is pocket change for many of them.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #432
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Holden and HSV prices have been going insane.
The Demise of Holden, has (In My Opinion) been a big Driver in the Market rise. Combined with Covid induced Price Spike . has been a perfect Storm ,& I reckon those Prices are here to stay.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #433
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back on track, the young one has been looking into early Discoverys for that live axle 4wd fix that won't (initially) break the bank. We're finding good Tdi autos seem to be going quicker than before at 6-8K asks; V8's a fair bit cheaper with untidy ones asking 2K+.

200Tdi is an old-school mechanical diesel, which is a good thing.

Edit: I'm having quite a bit of fun with learning about them, and watching vicariously.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #434
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Back on track, the young one has been looking into early Discoverys for that live axle 4wd fix that won't (initially) break the bank. We're finding good Tdi autos seem to be going quicker than before at 6-8K asks; V8's a fair bit cheaper with untidy ones asking 2K+.

200Tdi is an old-school mechanical diesel, which is a good thing.

Edit: I'm having quite a bit of fun with learning about them, and watching vicariously.
Mate had a fully built 200Tdi. Whilst it was a capable 4x4 it was forever breaking. Back when I was younger we used to go 4x4ing every weekend and I reckon my mates Disco broke something every second weekend. I have many stories I could tell about me saving him in my Maverick countless times. My advice is stay well away, not worth the headache.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #435
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What's a Pajero worth these days? It was always the capable but poor cousin of the 4WD family worth a lot less than the traditional Patrol/Land Cruiser.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #436
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What's a Pajero worth these days? It was always the capable but poor cousin of the 4WD family worth a lot less than the traditional Patrol/Land Cruiser.
Always been the dark horse for some unknown reason, I would get one but there are a few series that had bulk DPF issues. Getting one of the last would be good.

I choose not to because of the ridiculous 3rd row arrangement which is a shame.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #437
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
My just cars mag has a 1953 Mk1 Landrover, with nice patina for $16k
And a 1955 Mk1 Landrover chassis up resto for$59,200...yippee

Couldn't find Pajero Franco, maybe in 4x4 mag

Cheers Mr B
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #438
slowsnake
Banned

Also just recently in June a HQ SS 4 door sedan, in "original" nice condition, sold for "$85,500.
1972, 253ci motor, M20 gearbox, a 3:36 ratio diff, sports tuned suspension and GTS steering wheel and instrumentation.

This was the precursor car for GMH to test the market for the next car!
A 1973, 4 door Monaro!...
This car was a one owner aged 96 years old, he parked it up at 81 years old, bloody hell, its one of a claimed 23 survivors in Ultra Violet, it came in 3 colours, Ultra Violet, Lettuce Alone and Infra Red!

Cheers Mr B

Last edited by slowsnake; 03-08-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Adda bit
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #439
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Franco if you want a 4-be I saw an (only just) un-finished project over on PF that looks more like your style: https://performanceforums.com/forums...tch?id=7277611
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #440
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I paid just under $10k 12 months ago exactly, currently worth almost double that.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #441
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Franco if you want a 4-be I saw an (only just) un-finished project over on PF that looks more like your style: https://performanceforums.com/forums...tch?id=7277611
No 4x4 for me bud, prefer my 1UZFE in a Toyota Crown Majesta

Though a Suzuki Carry 4x4 really appeals and same with the new Jimny but not at those drug money prices the latter is commanding.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #442
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
My advice would be if you can hold out, hold out.. used car prices are just too high.. combination of low supply of used cars due to covid and people not using public transport and also lack of supply for new cars due to electronic chip issue..

Try wait until we are vaccinated, supply gets back to normal, new cars available again and watch the prices of used cars fall out the ****.
So they are low supply?
How is everyone getting vaccinated going to change supply.
I'm solely referring to falcons and commodores.
Supply isn't going to get better.
Hence the prices.

New car supply won't have any effect on above mentioned cars as they are no longer around.
Excluding rego/maintenance costs.
I could sell my current car for more than I paid for it.
Will I.
No, cause then I'll be in the boat chasing another like everyone else for a replacement.
Spose it's only worth 10k in your eyes
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #443
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’ll tell you why the wind will fall out of the prices.

When prices were reasonable, car sales had 230000+ ads on it. Through COVID ads have fallen under 100,000 ads.. supply is relatively short.. this is a delayed event

Once we get vaccinated, Australia opens up, people start using public transport again without the fear of the virus. all those used cars are not needed, flood the market

Then new car supply catches back up, it is a well known issue supply was slowed through COVID, dealers are selling a years worth of allocated stock before June.. pushes prices up in used cars.. when new car supplies catch up (and they will) again people will dump their used cars..

Car sales ads will go back up to normal and maybe even higher to 300,000ads.. watch the prices tumble. Hold out another year to 18 months.. let’s see if I’m correct..

All the people buying used FPV with high km for $65k etc are ridiculous suckers, watch the **** fall out of the market. People say but they are rare /discontinued, something new will blow them away at lower prices ..

Always compare what else you can get for the money, even in today’s times.. AMG C63 or a fpv f6,, haha.. you guys are better than this.

The current prices are like a tsunami, know that the water will always recede back to its natural level.
No worth a reply. You're well behind it and it's the usual rhetoric potentially from someone who wanted to buy something and now can't.

I have had the C63 v F6 comparison brought up by friends who were sooking about the FPV prices. They went and bought FPV's still. Also sus the C63 total on market v F6.

You've already had you're car dealer comments shredded. I'll let someone else shred this post.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #444
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The pricing is not for the wiggle room but to see if you can find a sucker first, hit them for a home run? If they agree to buy at the asking price do you disclose that there is wiggle room?

I have not seen too many dealers pointing out the faults in their ads. All the photos to show the damage. Or being too upfront to disclose faults. Of course they claim they are fault free or they would never sell them. Beware of the high mileage car with the shiny new wheels at the dealer, hiding a mountain of issues behind those shiny wheels.. they also park them strategically so as to show the cars best side rather than the patchy paintwork on the other side. Then they have the nerve to offer contactless / inspectless pirchasing options

The buyer needs to shows who’s boss, not be trodden all over
I'm not a dealer, and I do actually point out all the issues with the cars I sell. I look after them and it's rarely a long list and the buyers appreciate it and leave happy.

I bought an ebv8 off a guy in Sydney once. He probably thought I was a sucker as I didn't haggle much and bought it after seeing it for the first time at the airport. I didn't care. I liked the car. Was the seller honest?? I doubt it, but I was after a specific car and they were a bit thin on the ground.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #445
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
The Demise of Holden, has (In My Opinion) been a big Driver in the Market rise. Combined with Covid induced Price Spike . has been a perfect Storm ,& I reckon those Prices are here to stay.
The prices have shot up in the UK also. It is a combination of new vehicle shortages and bucket loads of cheap money that have made the prices go up. Basically it is inflation caused by money printing.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #446
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Used car prices

Quote:

When prices were reasonable, car sales had 230000+ ads on it. Through COVID ads have fallen under 100,000 ads.. supply is relatively short.. this is a temporary event

Once we get vaccinated, Australia opens up, people start using public transport again without the fear of the virus. all those used cars are not needed, flood the market

Then new car supply catches back up, it is a well known issue supply was slowed through COVID, dealers are selling a years worth of allocated stock before June.. pushes prices up in used cars.. when new car supplies catch up (and they will) again people will dump their used cars..

Car sales ads will go back up to normal and maybe even higher to 300,000ads.. watch the prices tumble. Hold out another year to 18 months.. let’s see if I’m correct..

All the people buying used FPV with high km for $65k etc are ridiculous suckers, watch the **** fall out of the market. People say but they are rare /discontinued, something new will blow them away at lower prices ..

Always compare what else you can get for the money, even in today’s times.. AMG C63 or a fpv f6,, haha.. you guys are better than this.

The current prices are like a tsunami, know that the water will always recede back to its natural place / level
Nothing about the semi conductor shortage? The biggest issue in New car supply right now.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #447
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another observation - Yes Carsales ads have dwindled, but is anyone actually buying off there? Free platforms like Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace have taken off. Most people don't want to spend the ridiculous money Carsales are asking to advertise now. I have found most of the cars I currently own off market or through Facebook.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #448
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Another observation - Yes Carsales ads have dwindled, but is anyone actually buying off there? Free platforms like Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace have taken off. Most people don't want to spend the ridiculous money Carsales are asking to advertise now. I have found most of the cars I currently own off market or through Facebook.
Agree.. private ad's on carsales or even gumtree are pretty rare, mostly full of dealers these days, coupled with anything late model the dealers can make a buck on they are snapping up privately to put in their lot to sell on
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #449
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While not directly related to second hand pricing, I called my dealer today and asked them to work out a price on the Transit Custom being warrantied in their workshop and give me a quote on an identical van with my expectation of receiving before this time next year.

Simple reply, "They aren't taking orders on Transit Custom's as they have a filing cabinet full of orders and no idea of when they will be turned into builds"...now I have a policy of not keeping our work delivery vans after warranty runs out, which will be June 2022... so high second hand pricing is only worth anything in my case if I can buy a new replacement...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #450
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:

When prices were reasonable, car sales had 230000+ ads on it. Through COVID ads have fallen under 100,000 ads.. supply is relatively short.. this is a temporary event

The current prices are like a tsunami, know that the water will always recede back to its natural place / level
Spoken like someone who blew all his money on aurions/camrys/i30s and is now saddened thst decent cars are worth some money and doesn't have one.

I'd definitely pick an FG F6 over a C63 any day of the week.
People are chasing GT Falcons/F6/GTS and all the Holden equivalents, that's pretty obvious. If you havnt seen that, get out from under that I30 rock you live under.

Another troll post, typical.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: