Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
greens_tuf

Default Anyone have more info on Simmons Wheels closing?

Hey guys,

I must have missed it because I was overseas at the time, but I recently found out that Simmons Wheels had closed down, and not for financial reasons but because the owner wanted to retire?

I did a few searches of this forum and didn't come up with anything, but there was some talk on a few Holden sites though.

I've loved Simmons wheels ever since I was first into cars as a kid, even before I used to love a specific car or brand I always loved Simmons wheels, so I am really cut because I haven't had a chance to build a project car yet, but I always knew I would have a set of new Simmons...

If there is already a thread on this, point me in the right direction, otherwise some more info on this would be good.

Cheers

greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Springfield_Johny

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11266047

I think someone mentioned in one of the replies about someone negotiating to take it over.

Strange I searched for "simmons' too and couldn't find this thread. Its only that I started it I knew that it existed

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Saw some of the equipment on Graysonline being auctioned off a few weeks back.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard some company - its killing me that i cant remember - has bought the simmons rights, so they will still survive.
Ill try and find out more.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Prices on second hand simmons have gone crazy. My brother had his XD on ebay, and he was getting at least 2-3 offers a day on his simmons (17x8 17x9) with most people offering $3000-$3500 and one offering $4000.
Old 22-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont worry guys the wheels will come back soon
Old 23-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Dont worry guys the wheels will come back soon
Do you know something that we don't?
Old 23-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I think someone has taken over the company and still going to make the same wheels but not in the simmons name....
Old 23-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it does come back or not, the original owner/creator retired, and as such retired Simmons wheels because he was tired from working so much for so many years.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh i hear things around the traps :-)

It's pretty simple if u think about it, simmons has a good rep here in Australia and who dosent love there wheels. Basically every mazda R100, RX2, RX3 & RX7 have them plus all the fords and holdens so its a profitable business. So if someone has the money to buy it up is a very good long term investment.

Guess what someone has the money and is doing this
Old 23-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I heard he doesnt want to sell the rights and potentially tarnish the good name that is Simmonds......
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh there's a few things going around now, the people i heared that are going to buy it may have the ability to tarnish the name hence why he may not sell up.

I also heared he may just sell the designs and not the name.
Old 23-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh there's a few things going around now, the people i heared that are going to buy it may have the ability to tarnish the name hence why he may not sell up.

I also heared he may just sell the designs and not the name.
And if you look around a few other forums, you find he will have big problems with what you are saying will happen
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
greens_tuf

Quote:
Yeh i hear things around the traps :-)

It's pretty simple if u think about it, simmons has a good rep here in Australia and who dosent love there wheels. Basically every mazda R100, RX2, RX3 & RX7 have them plus all the fords and holdens so its a profitable business. So if someone has the money to buy it up is a very good long term investment.

Guess what someone has the money and is doing this
I hope you're right, but I don't think it is necessarily that simple. They are expensive wheels and alot of the new generation would go for the cheap imported stuff anyway.

I'm a new generation guy, but I hate all the new stuff so I guess Simmons would have my business. I wouldn't be suprised if sales have been slowly dropping since the late 90s...

I also heard that he didn't want anyone to ruin the Simmons rep and name so thats why he closed since he was retiring. I can totally understand where he is coming from too.

btw you forgot Porsche 911 wide body with a fat set of simmons and some wide rubber!!
Old 23-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh i totally get his point of view and u want he business to go 2 someone who has a passion for wheels and not just about profit.
Old 26-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

From the Mag Wheel Centre web site.

"05.11.2009 -

Simmons Wheels Update:

Our long association with Simmons Wheels has ended with the announcement of the closure of the Simmons manufacturing plant in June this year. We had been in negotiations with the view to resurrecting the famous Simmons FR, Simmons OM and Simmons B45 3 piece wheels but nothing positive to report and there are no Simmons centres available any more!!.
We will continue with repairs and maintenence etc as there is still a supply of rim parts available.
Therefore we are going to concentrate on servicing our extensive range of existing suppliers, AUTOart, BBS, HRE wheels, Forgestar, OZ Racing, Vemiri, iForged, Neez and 360 Degree. "
Old 26-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Shame to see them go, could have been more profitable if they came out with more than one new design every 3-5 years.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post