Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Process of selling a car privately

Can someone give me some info on selling your car privately? Some steps of the process or whatever, i am in the dark as i have only ever traded in.
I mean, people coming to see it, who should i let drive it ? only 25 and over ?
And payment, i am guessing bank cheque ?
Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Luke

Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are you selling, and how much are you asking?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

selling my Black AU2 XR8 5spd ute soon, due to a baby coming along in may. Not sure yet on price tag, going to have a chat to an ex workmate who is used car manager at local Ford dealer as what is reasonable $$$ for this area. (seem to get a little more as we are classed as 'country')
Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

List/advertise car for sale, if you get test drivers, take a copy of their licence details, photocopy is best if you can. Youll find that kills 99% of test pilots straight away, only the genuine ones will let you do it.

If anything goes wrong, you have their details. List who drives it, where and when, and odo. Sounds like a lot of work but if anything happens, you stand a lot better chance of being covered.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Congratulations and Good Luck!

As for selling the car, here are a few links I found to tips.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...the+test+drive

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...ller%27s+tips/

http://free2go.rac.com.au/go/buying-...vate-vs-dealer

In general ensure that the car is 100% roadworthy and registered. Make sure you copy the details off the licences of prospective buyers as well as their rego and car details just as a backup (if they get a red light camera ticket and gave you a fake licence, then you might still be able to get them through their car details).

If you are worried about thieves, I would suggest meeting at a mutual place to look over the car. Even though this may be inconvienient, it means that they wont know where you live, so you wont have someone coming to have a second 'look' later that night and taking off with the car.

Ensure anything that will not be sold with the car (ie floor mats or if you are returning something to stock) are taken out prior to inspection because it may be a point of contention later if you sell the car and the person says that they thought something was included because they saw it the day they inspected it.

Personally, if I were a prospective buyer and asked to test drive it and (as a 20yr old) you wouldnt let me, then I wouldnt be buying the car. I would guess a fair amount of interest would come from some younger people.

As for payment, bank cheque all the way. Also make sure if someone is really keen and they want you to 'hold' it until the weekend that you get a deposit. Tell them the deposit will be non-refundable because you will essentially be taking the car 'off the market'. $100 should be suitable, but up to you really.

Some of those things I mentioned sound really basic, but are sometimes forgotten.

Good luck with selling it. Sounds good!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
Kryton

when someone wants a test drive, ALWAYS go with them. sit in the passenger seat and make his mates wait behind. just you and the potential buyer in the car.
go over the car pointing out the good bits before and during the drive. point out little features of the car like "if you push this button....." etc.
as for selling it is basically: you advertise the car, details, price and contact number.
people come look, you show them the car. offer them a drive if they seem genuine.
if they want the car its either CASH or BANK CHEQUE (car will not be released till cheque has cleared). have your paper work ready which you should have got from VicRoads previously. this would include TRANSFER PAPERS and a BILL OF SALE. you and the buyer fill out this paper work. make the buyer sign an agreement stating that from this day and this time YOU are not responsible for any infringements or liabiltys from that car. give him a copy and keep a copy. also keep a copy of the guys details, license number and the fact that he has paid for the car.
give hime the RWC as well if it is being sold with a RWC.

thats about really. the rest is up to the new owner. he has to pay transfer fees to get the car in his name. once that is done, he legally owns it.

forgot to add....if he mentions that he will be paying in CASH, try and have a mate or someone else with you when he pays it. get your mate to count the money while you and the buyer do the paper work. once the money has been confirmed, have it removed from the room.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geez that's a lot of work this is how I do it (I've done it a few times):
Potential buyer shows up
They look over, mention little things so they can bring it up later when talking turkey
They ask for a drive, either go with them, or if they have a nice car have them leave their keys and license (judge their character, if you're skeptical then go with them)
If it comes down to talking about price, you negotiate that and then get cash (or witness them doing an EFT and print out the receipt page)
Fill out the transfer papers and send them on their way

Maybe I am just too trusting?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

Always take details of the test driver (eg licence details) draw up a simple contract that states if any damage or accidents/speeding fines are the responsibility of the test driver and have them sign it NO EXCEPTIONS! If they wont sign it then CASH ONLY deposit (FULL PURCHASE PRICE) to test drive. Do not exit the car without the keys in your hand if they are in the drivers seat. Do not trust anyone!
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, if a deposit is taken, make sure a collection date is agreed upon up front and in writing. Learned the hard way, and the guy took months to pay the final amount and collect the car.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep, some good advice here.

Just be aware that a bank cheque may be cancelled by the drawer.
ronwest is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 AM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Thanks alot for the info, and it will certainly help me when it comes time to sell my ute :(

Its currently getting front bumper resprayed and made all pretty due again , to crap roads around here, it was so badly stone damaged, anywho, ta