Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Phillip Island tips

Airfares booked, motorhome booked, caravan park site booked so its all systems go for me and wifey for PI in November. This will be the first time we have been to PI and we are staying on for a few days after the races so for some of you who have been to the track/V8s before have you any tips ie where is best viewing, how much can you see from the grandstand. I can only find 1 grandstand on the straight, is there another anywhere else. Apart from Penguins and whatever the usual things to see after races are over is there anything else special in the area we should look out for? Thanks for any info.

Old 19-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Phillip Island tips

From memory you're a Queenslander?

Take warm clothes, the Island (and Vic in general ) is not very warm, even in Nov
Old 19-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll need to pack everything from shorts and singlet to thermals and waders!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

avoid those mad Kawasaki fans at Turn 2

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Airfares booked, motorhome booked, caravan park site booked so its all systems go for me and wifey for PI in November. This will be the first time we have been to PI and we are staying on for a few days after the races so for some of you who have been to the track/V8s before have you any tips ie where is best viewing, how much can you see from the grandstand. I can only find 1 grandstand on the straight, is there another anywhere else. Apart from Penguins and whatever the usual things to see after races are over is there anything else special in the area we should look out for? Thanks for any info.
Pack for any weather event. As mentioned, shorts, and T, to long and wooly. Dont forget a couple of Poncho's, for that unexpected wet spell.

At the track, between turn 5 through to past the Hayshed. Fast, with lots of action and vision from turn 1, Doohan, thru to Lukey Heights. Awesome viewing. Did 2 race meetings there now, and always come back here. Up the hill above turns 1 and 2 was good also, but busy, while outside the last corner, its very hectic, with fairly poor viewing.

Last thing I do when on the way, is stop at San Remo for my take aways. Seems only to be a habit, but its like a "We have arrived at the Island" moment!
If you have some days to fill, PI doesn't have a massive amount to offer. There are some nice Farm type interactive cottage style places. Chocolate place, where they start with cows and make chocolate, Vineyard tours, the Isle of Wight hotel in Cowes. Do not forget fly repelent for the penguin walk, they are rife. If you spend 3 hours at the penguins, you must have got lost.

A must for me when on the island, Boat to the mainland, then Train (first a diesel then switch to lectric) to Melbourne, and spend the day immersed in the Queen Victoria Markets. The fresh produce, the meat and seafood, the food for breakfast and lunch. Clothing, Toys, general goods, cookware, massage, you name it, all before the return journey for dinner at the Isle of Wight. Great day!

Have fun Mate.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

visit the motor museum at the track

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont forget to go to the 'Rusty waters' brewery just out of town on the Melbourne side on the l/h side of the road next to the fun park.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

Look for my name engraved in concrete guttering way back in 1966 by my brother - LOL

I grew up down there, it is my home town
Old 21-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
From memory you're a Queenslander?

Take warm clothes, the Island (and Vic in general ) is not very warm, even in Nov
Well not entirely GasO, I just live here now, only 2 years, Cocroach through and through but you were close. Thanks for the tips, I guess that means when I get back from Bathurst wash those clothes and repack them.

We have the MH till 430 Friday, we have already done GOR but would like to again but not this time. Whats around the bay and Peninsular around to Sorento. Is that a car ferry across to Queenscliffe and is there anything around that area?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by deesun; 21-05-2014 at 01:50 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last time I was there I was a pit marshal at a ferarri day. If you want a good driving road with spectacular views the korrumburra-warrigul road takes you up over the strezlekies. Tara Bulga national park has some nice short walks. Wind the windows up through moe, bogan capital of Australia. Head over to walhalla where you can free camp.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Last time I was there I was a pit marshal at a ferarri day. If you want a good driving road with spectacular views the korrumburra-warrigul road takes you up over the strezlekies. Tara Bulga national park has some nice short walks. Wind the windows up through moe, bogan capital of Australia. Head over to walhalla where you can free camp.
Thanks BPXR6T, driving road and Motorhome might not be the right combination though,lol.
Whilst looking at the Korrumburra area I spied Wilsons Prom. Would that be worth a look for a couple of days. Down tues, looks like about 2.5hrs drive from PI, tues arvo, wed, thurs at WP and then back to airport Friday?
Old 25-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
My32Doors

The Vietnam Vets museum is well worth a look.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Thanks BPXR6T, driving road and Motorhome might not be the right combination though,lol.
Whilst looking at the Korrumburra area I spied Wilsons Prom. Would that be worth a look for a couple of days. Down tues, looks like about 2.5hrs drive from PI, tues arvo, wed, thurs at WP and then back to airport Friday?
Definitely do the prom. Lots of sight seeing, beach walks, short walks, mountains, and long walks. The best walk I done was to the light house which is the southern most point of the mainland, spend the night there, then walk back via the east coast. There is a camp ground for your van that is quiet off peak. Lots of friendly wombats that will come right up to you.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post