Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #91
CYC06T

Default Re: TRP Racing Ford Falcon XR6T runs 9.1@159mph, update 8.48@165mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK1
Well done Phil, i was there at Jambo & looked like yas were havin fun gettin it off the line but looked & sounded really strong once ya got goin.

The next big step is sitting in the drivers seat & the most exciting i bet. I'm about to go down the same track with gettin Kyle to steer the car while we're still settin it up but im already gettin antzy to have a crack myself.
Yeah definitely excited to get into it and have a go! Should be around the end of the month as I have a bit of travel for work, so hopefully when I get back. The car is going in to SpeedFab tomorrow to get the sunroof hole all stitched up and then we are ready to get back into it when I am home.

Fun times ahead.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #92
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Yeah definitely excited to get into it and have a go! Should be around the end of the month as I have a bit of travel for work, so hopefully when I get back. The car is going in to SpeedFab tomorrow to get the sunroof hole all stitched up and then we are ready to get back into it when I am home.

Fun times ahead.
gotta love the sunroof aspect. just not used to seeing cars with a sunroof go down the track, especially that fast
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #93
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
gotta love the sunroof aspect. just not used to seeing cars with a sunroof go down the track, especially that fast
Yeah - true. I imagine it was only a matter of time before she blew out. At some point we will probably have to re-skin the whole roof so that it isnt just a repair job. We will see how it comes and and make a call from there.
Old 30-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #94
CYC06T

A quick update....

Took the car out to WSID yesterday for a test n tune to get behind the wheel for the first time. It was a very hot and humid afternoon, but the track seemed good.

It has been about 4 years since I got behind the wheel of the falcon and that was my last time taking a car down the strip so as you can imagine I was pretty nervous, especially knowing the potential of the car.

We started off gently and I rolled off a 9.4 @ 161mph. I then went again and rolled off another 9.4 @ 161 mph. We then turned it up a little as I was starting to feel more comfortable and the car was running straight.

We went out again and launched a little harder and went 8.8 @ 163. Heaps happy with this, as I was desperate to get into the 8's as quickly as possible and to do it on my 3rd pass I was stoked!

Had one more run and went 8.8 @ 163 again. Both of these were only with a 1.4 60 foot. I atleast got both front wheels off the deck on the last two runs. Hopefully there is a photo of a tasty wheelie coming my way in the next couple of days.

A good first meet for me, and I am keen to get on with the job and get quicker. Its a mad rush and well worth the wait. Fun times ahead.

Phil
Old 30-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #95
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Congrats mate .. must be a good feeling running your first 8 sec pass
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #96
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Congrats mate .. must be a good feeling running your first 8 sec pass
Hell yeah - I am still buzzing! Everything is going well with the car so after a long build I am really enjoying this.

It wasnt as bad as I was thinking it was going to be in my head, so I am keen to keep turning it up. Its super addictive and that was just my first real taste.
Old 30-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #97
tray_18
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice mate .8.48 second . Looks like that will be smashed very soon. Good luck with it.
And that is 1 big **** turbo looking forward the the progress

Interior by Leather FX, PM vegabass for all your interior needs
tray_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #98
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Hell yeah - I am still buzzing! Everything is going well with the car so after a long build I am really enjoying this.

It wasnt as bad as I was thinking it was going to be in my head, so I am keen to keep turning it up. Its super addictive and that was just my first real taste.
Well you have just proven you have a very mature head on your shoulders... I would be balls to the wall and probably wreck it if it was my car lol
Old 30-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #99
CYC06T

Quote:
Well you have just proven you have a very mature head on your shoulders... I would be balls to the wall and probably wreck it if it was my car lol
I dont know about mature, but I can tell you that was what I was afraid of eh! I dont know how well I'll go if it gets outta shape. I am hoping to log a fair bit more time on the track before I get into a situation that gets too hairy.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #100
prasac
Banned

well done mate, great job

i think alot of people drum into your head that its going to be scary etc. im jumping from a 13-sec car to a 6-sec car after speaking with alot of guys that have run 6,7,8-sec passes they say it's not as bad as imagined. especially if the car is setup well which obviously the Falcon is.

u still get scared but ur scared a little less each time u jump into the car. can't wait to see u running some more personal PB's in the car
Old 30-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #101
CYC06T

Quote:
well done mate, great job

i think alot of people drum into your head that its going to be scary etc. im jumping from a 13-sec car to a 6-sec car after speaking with alot of guys that have run 6,7,8-sec passes they say it's not as bad as imagined. especially if the car is setup well which obviously the Falcon is.

u still get scared but ur scared a little less each time u jump into the car. can't wait to see u running some more personal PB's in the car
Thanks mate. It was nice to get that first one under my belt. Now onto bigger and better things.

I imagine it is really true - a well setup car, that you know will run straight makes it easier to build confidence quickly and start laying down some good times. I hope to be out again in a few weeks - maybe a full throttle friday. Just need an oil change and to change a belt thats fraying and we are good to go.
Old 31-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #102
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Thanks mate. It was nice to get that first one under my belt. Now onto bigger and better things.

I imagine it is really true - a well setup car, that you know will run straight makes it easier to build confidence quickly and start laying down some good times. I hope to be out again in a few weeks - maybe a full throttle friday. Just need an oil change and to change a belt thats fraying and we are good to go.
that's the mentality i have. i only got people i trust to work on my car, so in the back of my mind i know i have done the best i can.

hope to see you out there, we are taking the brother's Capri if the parts i ordered get here.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #103
CYC06T

Quote:
that's the mentality i have. i only got people i trust to work on my car, so in the back of my mind i know i have done the best i can.

hope to see you out there, we are taking the brother's Capri if the parts i ordered get here.
Its all you can do. If you cut corners then the chances of something not going right increase exponentially.

Cool, keep me posted when you guys are heading out and I might see you out there.
Old 31-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #104
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Its all you can do. If you cut corners then the chances of something not going right increase exponentially.

Cool, keep me posted when you guys are heading out and I might see you out there.

sweet as, maybe u 2 line each other up, just look out for a black Capri with a green stripe down it. 2 Rigoli tuned cars (even though it's 2 different Rigoli's ) running each other it would be good, they'd be 2 of the fastest 4L's in the country, Capri has 2 cylinders more than u though

Old 31-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #105
CYC06T

Quote:
sweet as, maybe u 2 line each other up, just look out for a black Capri with a green stripe down it. 2 Rigoli tuned cars (even though it's 2 different Rigoli's ) running each other it would be good, they'd be 2 of the fastest 4L's in the country, Capri has 2 cylinders more than u though

That would be cool. Whats the capri's quickest time? I am thinking either the full throttle friday mid November or the test n tune on December 3. Will see how it pans out.
Old 31-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #106
prasac
Banned

Quote:
That would be cool. Whats the capri's quickest time? I am thinking either the full throttle friday mid November or the test n tune on December 3. Will see how it pans out.
has run a 8.20@166 on its Envy Dyno E85 tune. no exhaust n light racing seats.

we went out to last full throttle and on it's street tune with bowser United E85 from Rozelle it runs 8.42@164 that's with full exhaust 2 cats.

if u both have the 8.4 tunes in will be a good run
Old 31-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #107
CYC06T

Quote:
has run a 8.20@166 on its Envy Dyno E85 tune. no exhaust n light racing seats.

we went out to last full throttle and on it's street tune with bowser United E85 from Rozelle it runs 8.42@164 that's with full exhaust 2 cats.

if u both have the 8.4 tunes in will be a good run
I guess we will see. The 8.4 wasnt on a set tune so to speak, it was just a tweaking up of the boost controller to try and get the launch right. We are starting to work our way back to it now that I am behind the wheel, as we kind of lost our way a little with the settings at Jambo. My 8.80 on the weekend was run launching at 15 pounds, so I imagine if I can get it off the line between 18 and 20 pounds then we should be able to get back down to 8.50's and below. Something to aim for atleast.
Old 31-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #108
prasac
Banned

ahh ok. u gotta write that stuff down or it stuffs u up like u said.

last FTF we were leaving at the same boost as with the race E85, 15psi, but because this United E85 isn't as good as the race stuff, it wasn't producing the same torque out of the hole. the 60' went from the usual 1.28 to 1.36 i think we need to leave on a similar boost about 18psi. i think u guys are in the same boat as us.

alot of people think drag racing is easy but there is alot of crapping around to be done. especially with the launch

what mph are you doing to half track?
Old 31-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #109
CYC06T

Quote:
ahh ok. u gotta write that stuff down or it stuffs u up like u said.

last FTF we were leaving at the same boost as with the race E85, 15psi, but because this United E85 isn't as good as the race stuff, it wasn't producing the same torque out of the hole. the 60' went from the usual 1.28 to 1.36 i think we need to leave on a similar boost about 18psi. i think u guys are in the same boat as us.

alot of people think drag racing is easy but there is alot of crapping around to be done. especially with the launch

what mph are you doing to half track?
Yeah -thats the truth. While I wasnt driving it wasnt an issue! but now.......

I am going to start logging the runs so that we can retain all the info and see where we need to go from here to keep pushing forward. On Saturday my best 60" was 1.43. On the 8.4 run it was in the low 1.3's, so I know there is plenty of room for improvement. Like you guys, we just need to find that sweet spot where it will grip enough to launch hard and not break traction. We also are still working on the car continuing to push out of the hole and not die off a bit after the initial launch. Once we tighten that up we should be able to go better than 8.4. Half track mph is around 136mph if my memory serves, but I dont have the timeslips here with me at work, so I will have to check it out again. Im only a little over 2mph off the quickest the car has run so far, so it is a good first start. I am learning heaps all the time and another 1/2 dozen runs should see me pretty comfy and confident to push a little harder if I want to.

Like you say, people think its easy, and even though there is only a small number of things to do, if you dont get them spot on, it can make a huge difference to ETs as I now have an idea of just how fast everything happens. I can definitely improve my shift point as well to make sure I am in the meaty part of the torque curve. I have a good idea of where to shift now, so should be able to get that a little tighter over the next handful of runs also.

Heaps of places I can see for me to improve the times.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #110
CYC06T

Quote:
Yeah -thats the truth. While I wasnt driving it wasnt an issue! but now.......

I am going to start logging the runs so that we can retain all the info and see where we need to go from here to keep pushing forward. On Saturday my best 60" was 1.43. On the 8.4 run it was in the low 1.3's, so I know there is plenty of room for improvement. Like you guys, we just need to find that sweet spot where it will grip enough to launch hard and not break traction. We also are still working on the car continuing to push out of the hole and not die off a bit after the initial launch. Once we tighten that up we should be able to go better than 8.4. Half track mph is around 136mph if my memory serves, but I dont have the timeslips here with me at work, so I will have to check it out again. Im only a little over 2mph off the quickest the car has run so far, so it is a good first start. I am learning heaps all the time and another 1/2 dozen runs should see me pretty comfy and confident to push a little harder if I want to.

Like you say, people think its easy, and even though there is only a small number of things to do, if you dont get them spot on, it can make a huge difference to ETs as I now have an idea of just how fast everything happens. I can definitely improve my shift point as well to make sure I am in the meaty part of the torque curve. I have a good idea of where to shift now, so should be able to get that a little tighter over the next handful of runs also.

Heaps of places I can see for me to improve the times.
Oops - meant to say that 1/2 track mph was 130mph. On my 8.80 run it was 128mph.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #111
Road Games

Any idea how much she weighs at the moment mate ??
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #112
CYC06T

Quote:
Any idea how much she weighs at the moment mate ??
About 3500 pounds without driver from memory
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #113
Road Games

Wow she's got some weight out ... are you going to fit a full tube chassis later on ??
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #114
CYC06T

Quote:
Wow she's got some weight out ... are you going to fit a full tube chassis later on ??
Yeah - youd be surprised just how much weight was in the interior.

No real plans down that route at this stage. We will try and take some more weight out over time, as the car, even with the weight thats already out, is still so heavy!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #115
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Oops - meant to say that 1/2 track mph was 130mph. On my 8.80 run it was 128mph.
ok kool, were in the same situation because we don't have a big top end we need to get out of the hole quick. if we don't 60' good the time isn't there. do you control boost feed as it's going down the track or just launch boost?

we just do it at launch, by 100ft it's on full boost.

she is a big girl at 3500+lbs
Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #116
CYC06T

Quote:
ok kool, were in the same situation because we don't have a big top end we need to get out of the hole quick. if we don't 60' good the time isn't there. do you control boost feed as it's going down the track or just launch boost?

we just do it at launch, by 100ft it's on full boost.

she is a big girl at 3500+lbs
So far weve been feeding boost in as we go down the track because the motor is so torquey, we are trying to find a happy place for it. While we keep improving times we will keep playing. Once we kind of reach as far as we can go we will pull more weight out and consider upping the power again Assuming I can get the car back to sub 8.50 sec passes in the next meet or two I will be pretty happy. Like you, our big effort is focussed on the launch and power delivery in first gear. Once we pull top, its just hang on. All the time can be made in the launch and first gear.

Yeah - heavy car. But atleast it keeps it pretty straight down the track. It doesnt move around alot. I am keen to also mess around a bit more with tyres etc. over time as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #117
prasac
Banned

the good thing is you got a 4-link rear end, makes things a little easier. if u can fit a wider even possibly taller tyre ur laughin'.

im sure u can get the car back into the 40's n 50's next meet. it's good to see quick cars out there with the 4L I6's.

be good to see someone go all out on one, to mix it up with the 2JZ, Rotors and RB30's.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #118
QIK1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look out for dlm in the coming months, it'll be beyond all out!!! Goin for the double tonne or there abouts
Full weight, IRS, Pump E85, 17in Radials

[/CENTER]
QIK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #119
CYC06T

Quote:
the good thing is you got a 4-link rear end, makes things a little easier. if u can fit a wider even possibly taller tyre ur laughin'.

im sure u can get the car back into the 40's n 50's next meet. it's good to see quick cars out there with the 4L I6's.

be good to see someone go all out on one, to mix it up with the 2JZ, Rotors and RB30's.
Can definitely do a taller tyre, and will do at some point. Could probably fit an 11 - 11 1/2 inch wide tyre on the back, but we will see how we go with the 10 1/2 for now.

Should be able to get down into the 20's with the current power output. After that, who knows. It is all budget dependent and I dont have much of that left

I can definitely see a b series falcon run into the 7's in the short term future. It is an interesting space with plenty of big builds going on who want to make a statement.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #120
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK1
Look out for dlm in the coming months, it'll be beyond all out!!! Goin for the double tonne or there abouts
Like all, I am watching with interest.