Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default thermostat

ok before you burn me i have read all the other threads, but if ive missed a few all i can say is MY BAD

my temp sits no where near the normal mark. Infact it sits on the 3rd notch anywhere before the normal.

I think once on like a 39 degree day and trashing the car more than it was designed to do i got up to the O.

Is this normal ???

Or should i replace the thermostat. And what is a thermostat, where is it, and can i do it, where do i buy it ?

*sorry to ask every question but i just dunno...

Old 11-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a thermostat allows rapid engine warm up as it will stay shut until the engine reaches operation temperate and then it will open and allow the coolant to return to the radiator so it can be cooled and kept at a certain temp. the thermostat is on the thermostat housing on the front right side of your rocker cover.. its easy to change, unbolt the top, take old on out and put new one in..
they are fairly cheap and can be obtained at coventrys, make sure its a genuine part too.

good luck

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
a thermostat allows rapid engine warm up as it will stay shut until the engine reaches operation temperate and then it will open and allow the coolant to return to the radiator so it can be cooled and kept at a certain temp. the thermostat is on the thermostat housing on the front right side of your rocker cover.. its easy to change, unbolt the top, take old on out and put new one in..
they are fairly cheap and can be obtained at coventrys, make sure its a genuine part too.

good luck
Exactly
When you put it back together top up your coolant (you will lose a little bit) and run it with the heater on and overflow cap off at 2-3,000 RPM for 10 minutes to get rid of any air bubbles in the system. Also wash down any areas that get coolant on them because it's pretty nasty.

Of course if the coolant hasn't been replaced in a while that would be an ideal opportunity.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Make sure you get a rubber O-ring as well ... as they don't come with one.
Mine was getting a little too warm ... so I cut the guts out of it for Summer ... will get another one when winter comes along .... I found my old one was not opening fully hence the "slight" overheating.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Picture always makes it easy

Here is 2 pics. One with my car on after 30 mins of driving with a bit of thrashing when the outside air 21degrees, and the other is with my car off.

Is this amount for temp normal ????????
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mine sits on the right side of the "O" when at running temperature.
I think I have a dodgy phone pic somewhere.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Old 11-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is it the thermostat that controls this ?

i would love to see a picture of what i have to replace if someone can.

ive really got no clue..
Old 11-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Where the top radiator hose goes to the thermostat housing at the front right hand side of the rocker rover (looking down at the engine from the front of the car).

It's under that dome ... has the large radiator hose coming in from the right (from the radiator) ... and a smaller hose that goes around the front over the fan shroud to the header tank.

In short ... it sits under the dome looking thing ... uses two 8mm bolts ... might be 10mm ... I can't remember now. Get a new thermostat rubber O-ring as well (doesn't come with the thermostat (go figure) .... make sure you get a Motorcraft one from Ford .... these do work the best ... and costs bugger all really.

Easy to get to ... will loose a little bit of coolant (bugger all) ... do it when the engine is cold you will lose less).
Old 11-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

it sits just behind the snorkel ... on the side of the engine on the right ... at the front ... see the 2 hoses going to it. That's it.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

That's it.

I need to get a new one.

Mine is white from caked on coolant...
Old 11-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Oh ... as a side note ... you don't need to take the hoses off the thermstat cover .... the unbolt ... release the little bit of coolant (will pour out a little) ... then lift the housing off ... swap thermostat (just sits in place) ... reverse procedure.

If the header tank is full ... you will not need to top up what you have lost really ... will only lose about 100mm ... not even that much ... doubt you'd even need to top the coolant up either.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well mine made it up to N today (as soon as i say it doesn't, it goes and happends)

30 mins of driving in 25 degree heat
Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Where the top radiator hose goes to the thermostat housing at the front right hand side of the rocker rover (looking down at the engine from the front of the car).

It's under that dome ... has the large radiator hose coming in from the right (from the radiator) ... and a smaller hose that goes around the front over the fan shroud to the header tank.

In short ... it sits under the dome looking thing ... uses two 8mm bolts ... might be 10mm ... I can't remember now. Get a new thermostat rubber O-ring as well (doesn't come with the thermostat (go figure) .... make sure you get a Motorcraft one from Ford .... these do work the best ... and costs bugger all really.

Easy to get to ... will loose a little bit of coolant (bugger all) ... do it when the engine is cold you will lose less).
Ford will sell both the O ring and the Thermostat ???

and these are sold seperate ?

Do u have the part numbers ? if not i can post on au parts data.... im just lazy i guess
Old 11-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i will tell a lie as well, if i turn econ off, have the aircon on, and give it a bit even just around town it will eventually make it to the O, but just slow driving no aircon it only goes up a little bit...i've also found that it goes better with econ off with extractors and an exhaust as well as sounding better
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

They "should" sell both parts ... but not together.
Just go to the Parts counter and ask for an "AU Falcon 6 cylinder thermostat - petrol version" (just to be safe as I am not sure if the LPG thermostat has a different temperature rating).

No need to take a part number ... they can look it up on their system off the above details I wrote down.

The guys at Penrith parts department are pretty good there ... haven't needed to take a part number with me before.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au parts data
Part # Description Unit Price
AU 8255 A GASKET THERMOSTAT, USED UNTIL JAN 90 ON C.F.I, THEN BECAME PART OF INLET, MANIFOLD GASKET $3.25
AU 8255 B GASKET THERMOSTAT $1.05
AUC 8575 A THERMOSTAT ASSY, (4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL LPG OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (VCT)) $23.30
EA 8A571 A SEAL THERMOSTAT $2.21

ER 8H592 A HOUSING THERMOSTAT $27.40
ERTVE 8575 A THERMOSTAT ASSY, 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (HP) $18.80
XR3Z 8575 BA THERMOSTAT ASSY $30.30
this is just a quick search in the parts data site, kinda shows what you need, also seems that the petrol and lpg ones are the same, the stuff bolded is what i'd imagine you will need
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #18
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU 8255 A GASKET THERMOSTAT, USED UNTIL JAN 90 ON C.F.I, THEN BECAME PART OF INLET, MANIFOLD GASKET $3.25
AU 8255 B GASKET THERMOSTAT $1.05
AUC 8575 A THERMOSTAT ASSY, (4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL LPG OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (VCT)) $23.30
EA 8A571 A SEAL THERMOSTAT $2.21

Those appear to be the ones.

which do i need ? all ???? cause to me thats written in another language

Ive got an AU Series 1 6 cyclinder Without VCT and Without LPG.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #19
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well the seal would more than likely be the rubber bit mechan1k is talking about ie EA 8A571 A SEAL THERMOSTAT $2.21, apart from that, yeah the gasket AU 8255 B GASKET THERMOSTAT $1.05, and the assembly AUC 8575 A THERMOSTAT ASSY, (4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL LPG OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (VCT)) $23.30
Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #20
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
well the seal would more than likely be the rubber bit mechan1k is talking about ie EA 8A571 A SEAL THERMOSTAT $2.21, apart from that, yeah the gasket AU 8255 B GASKET THERMOSTAT $1.05, and the assembly AUC 8575 A THERMOSTAT ASSY, (4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL LPG OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) OR 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (VCT)) $23.30
But would i need a new assembly ???? or just the other 2 ?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #21
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the assembly is the actual thermostat itself, the housing is the bit around it, if you're replacing the thermostat, you need assembly, seal and gasket, if you're not replacing the thermostat, just the gasket and seal
Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #22
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet

Thanks all !
Old 11-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget to check the thermostat cover/hose outlet is flat and not warped where it contacts the O ring and lube the O ring with vaseline or rubber grease to keep it pliable otherwise it won't seal for too long :
Cheers
Bill.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
james22
With da Warlords

noticed in that picture that your service spanner was lit up too...
time to freshen up?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #25
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
noticed in that picture that your service spanner was lit up too...
time to freshen up?
Yeah shes a bit overdue for a service...

Regos due in 1 week anyway so ima tie it in with that