Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Get an extra 5km per litre easy peasy!

Driving a manual V8 like me (or any other performance car) is a constant battle between temptation and restraint...

I normally use 17.5 Litres per 100km in a mix of 65% city, 35% highway driving.

Yep, I like to plant boot and hear the awesome noise at every opportunity - that's why I got a V8!

But it is quite an expensive hobby - enough to make me consider a 4 cylinder for my next car.

But I read an article about economical driving the other day, it was all common sense but you just don't think about it when you're driving, I decided to give it a go just to see.

Here's the main things I did:

Change up below 2000rpm. Basically keeping the revs as low as possible.

Very light throttle openings.

Anticipate upcoming light changes and traffic stoppages and coast down through the gears rather than sharp braking - this shuts off the cars fuel use during this time.

Turning off the ignition if you know you'll stationary for more than 30 secs.

Sounds boring but it was actually quite fun - it also made the odd burst of full noise that I allowed myself so much more of a treat!

I did miss the odd set of lights by not accelerating fast enough up the road, but this really balances itself out - often the next lights go red anyway, or often they go green by the time you get there - ie if you had've got there faster you would've had to stop.

I reckon I got nowhere any slower or later than normal.

It made me realise that I spend so much time in stop start traffic, planting boot achieves absolutely nothing but drain your fuel tank.

SO, anyway, the result - 12.5 km per litre - the savings are ridiculous! I could not believe what my trip meter was telling me.

I will keep doing I reckon - I'll still have a bit of fun when neccesary, but it just makes so much sense to pay attention to what's happening with the gas pedal - plus you don't have to worry as much about speeding fines.

Oh did I mention it was actually quite enjoyable? Maybe I'm getting old!

Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I remember reading an article that on CarAdvice a few years ago with an interesting discovery from Volvo. They found that putting a cover under the car (creating a flat surface from nose to tail) reduced the drag produced by the vehicle cutting through the air. They saved something like 2-4L/100km. I've wondered ever since why we haven't seen cars employ this idea?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Good on you, mate. Soon you'll start noticing the ones who jump to the next red light and you gently pull up next to them or pass them as the lights go green on your approach. It's a pleasing feeling.

But be prepared to frustrate a lot of people in heavy traffic.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
this is the only one id avoid, starter motors are expensive.

And on restarting id imagine it would dump in more fuel than just leaving it running
Old 14-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Driving a manual V8 like me (or any other performance car) is a constant battle between temptation and restraint...

I normally use 17.5 Litres per 100km in a mix of 65% city, 35% highway driving.

Yep, I like to plant boot and hear the awesome noise at every opportunity - that's why I got a V8!

But it is quite an expensive hobby - enough to make me consider a 4 cylinder for my next car.

But I read an article about economical driving the other day, it was all common sense but you just don't think about it when you're driving, I decided to give it a go just to see.

Here's the main things I did:

Change up below 2000rpm. Basically keeping the revs as low as possible.

Very light throttle openings.

Anticipate upcoming light changes and traffic stoppages and coast down through the gears rather than sharp braking - this shuts off the cars fuel use during this time.

Sounds boring but it was actually quite fun - it also made the odd burst of full noise that I allowed myself so much more of a treat!

I did miss the odd set of lights by not accelerating fast enough up the road, but this really balances itself out - often the next lights go red anyway, or often they go green by the time you get there - ie if you had've got there faster you would've had to stop.

I reckon I got nowhere any slower or later than normal.

It made me realise that I spend so much time in stop start traffic, planting boot achieves absolutely nothing but drain your fuel tank.

SO, anyway, the result - 12.5 km per litre - the savings are ridiculous! I could not believe what my trip meter was telling me.

I will keep doing I reckon - I'll still have a bit of fun when neccesary, but it just makes so much sense to pay attention to what's happening with the gas pedal - plus you don't have to worry as much about speeding fines.

Oh did I mention it was actually quite enjoyable? Maybe I'm getting old!

YOU NEED TO TRADE DOWN TO A 4CYLINDER !!! :
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
I remember reading an article that on CarAdvice a few years ago with an interesting discovery from Volvo. They found that putting a cover under the car (creating a flat surface from nose to tail) reduced the drag produced by the vehicle cutting through the air. They saved something like 2-4L/100km. I've wondered ever since why we haven't seen cars employ this idea?
The Veyron and R8 have flat bottoms... Maybe it's expensive.
Old 14-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
actually thats not quite true. you don't have to go so slow that you are holding up traffic. just drive WITH the traffic flow, even when accelerating.

anticipating the traffic conditions is a safer way to drive also, and the fuel savings are just a added benefit.

i still give my v8 the odd burst but more often than not these days, if i'm in traffic or know i'll be in traffic, i allow plenty of time to get where i need to be and just doddle along with the traffic.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good on you, mate. Soon you'll start noticing the ones who jump to the next red light and you gently pull up next to them or pass them as the lights go green on your approach. It's a pleasing feeling.

Ha ha yeah that does tend to happen - almost more fun than dragging them off the line like I usually would...

Yeah well if everyone's up my tail I just give it a bit more - but still change up before 2000 - the V8 still has plenty down there!
Old 14-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
YOU NEED TO TRADE DOWN TO A 4CYLINDER !!! :
Nah, this way I can keep a V8 without the eye watering fuel bills. I reckon I could go louder on the exhaust too now - before I was gonna go quieter - but keeping it below 2000 is so much less noisy!
Old 14-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Quote:

If he drives in the left lane he wont frustrate anyone, thats where slow cars (or slow accelerating cars) belong.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
MAD
Petro-sexual

I do similar when I see a light change to red in the distance. Straight away the car is in neutral and I'm coasting.
On the way to work there is a set of lights at the top of a gentle hill that if I see them go red I can coast to the lights and only need to apply brakes from about 40km/h instead of 80.
I use the same hill on the return home to coast down as at the bottom of the hill is a signalled pair of right turn lanes that I never catch. I just start to slow below 80 at the point when I pull off the road into the turn lane.
I only do this if there is enough gap behind me as to not annoy other drivers.
Old 14-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

17.5 thats pretty good why bother
Old 14-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried this in my Peugeot on one drive. I got the litres per hundred down from an average of 6.1 to 4.8. It makes a big difference! And that was doing speeds in all increments from 50km/h to 110km/h.
But, I can't be bothered driving like that all the time, so I just enjoy the torque of the turbo diesel and average 6.1L/100kms.

Old 14-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think I'll skip shutting the car down if the lights are going to be more than 30 seconds but I pretty much do most of the rest anyway. If I see lights ahead turning red, I'll just kick it out of gear - 2000rpm changes will still put me ahead of the pack from the lights so it's not holding anyone up.

I went from V8 to V6 and now I'm back in a V8 - even going to a V6 go cart which consumed 5l/100kms less and was faster than the V8 it replaced didn't really do it for me. If you're a V8 man, you're a V8 man. If doing these things keeps you in one for longer, keep it up.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
17.5 thats pretty good why bother

Ha ha yeah ironically I actually didn't used to care, until I was in and out of work for a while...

I could only afford to put in $20 at a time and sometimes I got less than 50km around town - that's about 30L/100...

I was like a petrol crack addict and that article was the intervention I needed!
Old 14-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think I'll skip shutting the car down if the lights are going to be more than 30 seconds but I pretty much do most of the rest anyway. If I see lights ahead turning red, I'll just kick it out of gear - 2000rpm changes will still put me ahead of the pack from the lights so it's not holding anyone up.

I went from V8 to V6 and now I'm back in a V8 - even going to a V6 go cart which consumed 5l/100kms less and was faster than the V8 it replaced didn't really do it for me. If you're a V8 man, you're a V8 man. If doing these things keeps you in one for longer, keep it up.
Well yeah I thought it was all common sense, but was amazed how much difference it made by really concentrating.

Well see the article said if you leave it in gear it's using no fuel, whereas idling is obviously using a bit, plus wearing out your brakes a little...

Prob not worth it in an auto.

Yeah I might flag the start stop idea too - a new starter will completely f** up my cost/benefit model...
Old 14-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Dont forget to Pump Up the tyres !

I did today and they were all under 25 PSI, , as I drove out of the servo it felt like a new car
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #18
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The methods in that work a treat, but its so damn hard shifting at 2-2500 revs all the time!

Switching off the ignition is only worth it if you know youll be stuck in an intersection for a decent amount of time (4-5 minutes)

I too am surprised that car makers havent adopted cladding on the underside of the car to make them more aerodynamic and fuel efficient; I guess the cladding would also add to the weight?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Dont let your fuel level get too low and you will save fuel because it evaporates more when there is less in the tank
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And who actually wants to drive changing gears under 2,000 revs all the time?? I try doing this from time to time (to save fuel), but after about 10-20 min of do that I get the shits & go back to changing around 3-4000 revs.

I'd rather spend a little more on fusl & enjoy the way I drive!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Want to save fuel? Just drive like you've got an egg under your right foot.
Old 14-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
And who actually wants to drive changing gears under 2,000 revs all the time?? I try doing this from time to time (to save fuel), but after about 10-20 min of do that I get the shits & go back to changing around 3-4000 revs.

I'd rather spend a little more on fusl & enjoy the way I drive!!

Yeah well that was kinda my point - it was actually surprisingly enjoyable and relaxing. Depends on the car tho. I imagine some would be quite boring at those rpms.

Am thinking 100 cell cats would really enhance that sub 2000rpm sound... :-)
Old 14-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Get an extra 5km per litre easy peasy!
Don't think so somehow
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Ha ha yeah ironically I actually didn't used to care, until I was in and out of work for a while...

I could only afford to put in $20 at a time and sometimes I got less than 50km around town - that's about 30L/100...

I was like a petrol crack addict and that article was the intervention I needed!
it would help if i lived in the city ...but i live in the country always doing 100 or more only way i save fuel is unhook the boat or take the roof top tent off .

though i can understand the reasoning if i lived in the city i would buy a little s box or keep riding me bike and save the real car for pleasure ,guess all our lives incomes and circumstances are different ,hope it keeps you in your pride and joy but
Old 14-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hehe, do what I do, buy a 4 cylinder car and thrash the crap out of it, have fun while returning 6L/100km haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #26
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about you just ride a bike you can thrash it and stick below you magic 2,000 RPM

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I remember a few yrs back i got done speeding so in response i spent about 3 months doing the speed limit EVERYWHERE!

Normally i drive to the limit plus GST but for this 3 months i sat ont he limit on the dot, with cruise on the BA it was easy, man the amount of fuel it saves was truely amazing!

not sure how i slipped back into old ways but i did eventually

but lately with not having much work or money to throw around i try to take the rout that is more straight and direct and not take corners and traffic lights if possible, it helps as well.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
The methods in that work a treat, but its so damn hard shifting at 2-2500 revs all the time!

Switching off the ignition is only worth it if you know youll be stuck in an intersection for a decent amount of time (4-5 minutes)

I too am surprised that car makers havent adopted cladding on the underside of the car to make them more aerodynamic and fuel efficient; I guess the cladding would also add to the weight?
From memory having a flat underside isnt a great thing i remember hearing stories in the 70s of the Lamborghini Muria getting airborne due to the flat underside might just be rumours though
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #29
zdcol71
zdcol71

What are peoples ideas,(or the facts, if anyone knows), on the effects on fuel economy in a ute with or without lid??
Old 14-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi Grobbo, i tried this in the Typhoon today mate, Very hard to keep it under 2000rpm! Thats when the fun starts to begin! I was still taking off the fastest at each set of lights too! LOL!

But nah, prefer to try not go over 3000rpm and keep my 16+L/100 economy. The FG F6 is much much better in economy though, same driver, im getting high 11 to low 12L/100 compared to 16+ in the BA, same driver, same fuel (mobil 98), and same routes.