Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
gngtho
Banned

Default MR licence whoooohooo

Well im very pleased to say that today i had a day off work and went to do
my MR licence, as im looking to get out of the factory scene.

Every thing just fine although it was a stinking hot day and the air cond of the truck was blowing more humid air rather than cold i think i did ok.

the time came at the end of the day where i needed to do the final test.

So i am pleased to announce that i came out with a %97 score, when you only need a %85 to pass.

first mistake i indacated before checking mirrors, and second i didn't select the right gear as i approched a left turn.

well thats all from me so if any one in sa needs a MR driver im very keen and will not dissapoint.

gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
groops

Awesome!!! Hey, what's involved? I wanna get a licence so I can drive a minibus...what are the costs and what state are you in?

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
gngtho
Banned

Well here in SA i paid $765 for it and it's a full day corse and you send most of it driving and getting to know the size of the truck and bricking distance, and turning without hitting the curbs.

if you want bigger like HR HC i know for a fact there in Syd or Melb you must have driven a MR for a year before going for the bigger licence, but in adelaide you just do a tile corse and pay $1700 for HR and $2300 for HC.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
groops

Thanks....gratz though...stay safe.

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MR is that Medium Rigid?

Congrats on the achievement, plenty of work out there at the moment, you can nearly afford to be choosy!

I've got a HC licence which is Heavy Combination , I hsd it for years, used it a bit on & off. Got a few of hours behind the wheel only last week on an interstate trip with a mate in a very nice Freightliner Columbia Series, magic with the Auto 18 Speed Auto Box!

Its like an insurance policy for me, if it all turns pair shaped...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Congrats!!! Well done on the pass score too!
Old 19-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
MR is that Medium Rigid?

Congrats on the achievement, plenty of work out there at the moment, you can nearly afford to be choosy!

I've got a HC licence which is Heavy Combination , I hsd it for years, used it a bit on & off. Got a few of hours behind the wheel only last week on an interstate trip with a mate in a very nice Freightliner Columbia Series, magic with the Auto 18 Speed Auto Box!

Its like an insurance policy for me, if it all turns pair shaped...
yeh my mate went straight for his HC but i think for the time being there is heaps out there for me to stay on them and after im doing it step by step and ill be going for he HR's ( HEAVY RIGID)

but still ive got a max GVM of 15 ton and no restrictions on gear box.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
gngtho
Banned

thanks for the support everyone i knew i made a good choice.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
bogan393

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
Well here in SA i paid $765 for it and it's a full day corse and you send most of it driving and getting to know the size of the truck and bricking distance, and turning without hitting the curbs.

if you want bigger like HR HC i know for a fact there in Syd or Melb you must have driven a MR for a year before going for the bigger licence, but in adelaide you just do a tile corse and pay $1700 for HR and $2300 for HC.
In nsw you can go straight for your HR without going for the MR or LR first, thats what i did, i was second year green p plater when i got my HR with unrestricted gearbox, course was 2 days and cost $1500 but it was all covered by my company.
bogan393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Same here. I went from C1 to HR non restricted. Work put me through it so I could take their trucks out in emergencys but I use mine as an insurance policy too.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeh my mate went straight for his HC but i think for the time being there is heaps out there for me to stay on them and after im doing it step by step and ill be going for he HR's ( HEAVY RIGID)

but still ive got a max GVM of 15 ton and no restrictions on gear box.
strange...in wa it's anything over 8t with 2 axles, nt is the same....i thought sa was the same as nt?
apart from that, well done
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My license HR says over 9ton, that's a WA one as well.

Haven't driven a Truck in 4 years anyway, Man it would be interesting jumping behind the wheel now, Jump on the air brakes and go thou the windscreen LMAO.

Just skip it and go straight to HR or a combo to save time and money
Old 19-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Congrats, I only just got my HR (Heavy Rigid) in December, work put me through it too so I can relieve their truck driver when he's off on leave, best thing I've done in years. That feeling when you know you've passed is one of the best.

If anyone in Melb' is going to go for it, go through Armstrong Driver Training in Thomastown, they were brilliant.

In Vic you can go straight from car license to HR, then you need to have HR for at least a year before you can get HC or MC (Multi Combination).
Old 19-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Congrats, I only just got my HR (Heavy Rigid) in December, work put me through it too so I can relieve their truck driver when he's off on leave, best thing I've done in years. That feeling when you know you've passed is one of the best.

If anyone in Melb' is going to go for it, go through Armstrong Driver Training in Thomastown, they were brilliant.

In Vic you can go straight from car license to HR, then you need to have HR for at least a year before you can get HC or MC (Multi Combination).

Can you go straight to HR from your car license ?, i though you needed your MR first or does age play a factor cause im 21 and im off my p's in august ?

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 20-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wowwww how things have changed ..... I did my MR( was the old 3C way back when) I drove Dads F350 LWB and all was sweet.

The back of my licence tells me there is no weight restriction but I can only drive a vehicle with 2 axles. This is a NSW licence

Congrats on getting yours too ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #16
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
Can you go straight to HR from your car license ?, i though you needed your MR first or does age play a factor cause im 21 and im off my p's in august ?
According to the Victorian Bus and Truck drivers Handbook issued by Vic Roads, To be eligible for a HR license you have to have held a drivers license for at least 2 years. Meaning if you got your P's on your 18th birthday, on your 20th birthday you are eligible to go for your HR license, you do not need to go through Medium to get to Heavy. This is not just Victoria, this is a national standard.

For the record I only turned 21 last June, and had no problems getting my HR license in December, and I had never driven a truck until then.
Old 20-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

the only problem with getting license at 21 to a employer is the insurance is going to be high for a driver under 25 but if you already work for someone and there paying thier not going to worry about the price of insurance.

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON
xbcoupe302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
According to the Victorian Bus and Truck drivers Handbook issued by Vic Roads, To be eligible for a HR license you have to have held a drivers license for at least 2 years. Meaning if you got your P's on your 18th birthday, on your 20th birthday you are eligible to go for your HR license, you do not need to go through Medium to get to Heavy. This is not just Victoria, this is a national standard.

For the record I only turned 21 last June, and had no problems getting my HR license in December, and I had never driven a truck until then.
As a former licence tester I can tell you that you can get a MR after year one, then go for a HC after the 2nd year, but most opt for the HR after 2 years, then 1 year later get the HC, but it takes a year longer that way.

Also:

Quote:
That really surprises me as ALL States are supposed to be on a Graduated Sytem since about 1996
Old 20-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
gngtho
Banned

yeh now im baffled with all the rules about it.

well it dosent matter im happy with my little leap anyway.

thanks everyone.
Old 21-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I went and got my HR in November last year. I'd been planning it for awhile as I intended to quit my job (working for Woolworths) and go drive for my Dad who owns a bus company.
He was a bit hesitant at first. Not because he didn't think I could do it, but he didn't think it was a good career decision, but then things changed and he came home one Thursday night and told me Saturday I would be doing the practical driving test.

I'd done the computer RTA test a few months earlier and aced that, but I'd had a total of about 5 hours learning to drive the buses before going to do the test.

I did the same "competancy based assessment", which is like a 5 hour drive with the assessor. Though they can help you and explain things to you as you go, unlike an actual driving test.

I was a bit nervous, and I missed changing down a gear when I turned at a roundabout, and ended up coasting around it at like 40k's. I scared myself doing that. It just didn't want to slot into gear.

Passed on Saturday, Monday went to the RTA to upgrade the licence and Tuesday I was driving school swimming.

Dad says HC is next, just cause he loves the look on people's faces when they see a young girl driving such a large vehicle.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
That really surprises me as ALL States are supposed to be on a Graduated Sytem since about 1996
Isn't there some way around it if you have a letter from your employer stating you have to have the licence for work. I know that was how our mechanic got his HR straight away.
He needed to be able to test drive vehicles and drive to breakdowns with a replacement vehicle.

Dad got his HC licence at 17. He had a mate in SA who said he was his father, and Dad lived with him.
They had a lower age limit than NSW, which was 21 I think.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Isn't there some way around it if you have a letter from your employer stating you have to have the licence for work. I know that was how our mechanic got his HR straight away.
He needed to be able to test drive vehicles and drive to breakdowns with a replacement vehicle.

Dad got his HC licence at 17. He had a mate in SA who said he was his father, and Dad lived with him.
They had a lower age limit than NSW, which was 21 I think.
The only way around it now from my recollections is if your family owns a farm, other than that - no way, not even if your family owns a trucking company.

Mechanics can get an exemption as well, but it usually has a xx kilometre radius thing attached to it.
Old 21-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #23
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
The only way around it now from my recollections is if your family owns a farm, other than that - no way, not even if your family owns a trucking company.

Mechanics can get an exemption as well, but it usually has a 1OO kilometre radius thing attached to it.

I got my HC at 23 after my HR for a bit over 6 months. All i needed to do was write a letter to Vic Roads basically saying my position of employment was in jeopardy as the needs of the company i worked for had changed and they needed someone with a HC license. Then employer wrote a letter to the same effect, and one of the other drivers who's been driving for 25 years or more wrote me a reference.

Granting of the exemptions is up to the discretion of Vic Roads branch managers based on a set criteria and their own call on the situation at hand. I was doing 4000 + Km a week in a pretty substantial rigid doing a mix of intra and interstate.
When i went to pick up my exemption approval letter from them to allow me to do my HC license test i noticed that it restricted me to a 100km radius from home base which i wasn't aware but it's standard procedure. After a chat to the branch manager and sweet talking her on a good day she re wrote the exemption letter to state that i could drive anywhere within victoria. So i could drive a semi vic wide but once i crossed the border i could only drive using my HR.

Went for my HC and asked if i could do test only so i didnt have to waste a whole day. Didn't doubt my ability. Went in and was all done in 1.5 hours with 100% and only cost about $230
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did know that, but I have been out of the system for over 7 years. The local branch manager does have that power in Victoria
Old 22-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #25
gngtho
Banned

was wandering appart from weight waht other differences are there between MR and HR are there changes in the gear boxes or is it just weight.
Old 22-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my HR recently, was putting a few other blokes on it at work so they could drive the crane, and I put myself on it. Took four one hour lessons, but it was all good.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was wandering appart from weight waht other differences are there between MR and HR are there changes in the gear boxes or is it just weight.
MR has two axles (including front), HR has 3 or more axles, but is not a semi (HC) (including front).

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...pesOfLicences/
Old 24-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

If you're on the ball South Australians can be heading out the gate in an MC by 19.
You just have to ring around and find an employer. I was 17 when i got my MR and drove for a few companies doing local, intrastate and country runs. Currently I'm pulling singles Adelaide to Robinvale and return daily with fibreglass. At 21, my insurance is $1200 per year and i'm covered to drive any combination of vehicles at my small company.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, can't say i am a fan of that XHUTE6, as a long term driver and trainer, the more experienced they are, the longer they will live. I am sure it has worked out Ok for you, but you are not everyone.

I am a big fan of the graduated licensing system.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #30
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Sorry, can't say i am a fan of that XHUTE6, as a long term driver and trainer, the more experienced they are, the longer they will live. I am sure it has worked out Ok for you, but you are not everyone.

I am a big fan of the graduated licensing system.
I agree.