Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Ego T

Default Can I really be booked speeding like this?

Firstly I will say yes I'm an idiot but it has happened and it's too late now...

Ok. I was driving in the right hand lane behind a car doing 55ish in a 60 zone. I went into the left lane and overtook him. I probably did break the speed limit but I honestly don't know by how much if I did.

Unfortunately the car I overtook had a copper in it... :

I went to a Maccas drive thru, came out the other side and he was standing in the driveway waiting for me. Cracked the sh&ts at me and (whilst recording me) got my details and asked the usual questions and told me he had a witness who would testify to the fact that I was doing 85 in a 60 zone. He told me a ticket would be in the mail...

My question is, can he book me like this? If he can how does he know how fast I was going?

Old 30-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds very grey area too me. Challenge it in Court ?
Old 30-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

sounds a bit dodgy.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 30-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, you didn't "overtake" - you used the inside lane (very poor form....).
Sounds like it was an unmarked car ????? If so, its really going to come down to the officer involved & whether they want to take it further. Hopefully they can't be bothered with the paperwork and was happy to just "put the wind up you".
Old 30-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Firstly, you didn't "overtake" - you used the inside lane (very poor form....).
Sounds like it was an unmarked car ????? If so, its really going to come down to the officer involved & whether they want to take it further. Hopefully they can't be bothered with the paperwork and was happy to just "put the wind up you".
im assuming he wasn't on a freeway/highway so whats the problem with overtaking in the left hand lane if the other lane was going below the speed limit?

Definately a grey area though, and generally they give you a speeding ticket on the spot.. I wouldnt worry about it until the ticket shows up in the mail..
Old 30-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If they didn't issue a ticket on the spot, then you won't get one.

Oo\===/oO
Old 30-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He was probably on his way to work he can't book you unless he was in a cop car with a certified speedo. the speedos have to be tested and calibrated on a regular basis
you will find he was just trying to scare you but if he does send a ticket chalenge it and not only will you get off he will get in the ****

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 30-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I know in WA when you overtake it must be within the speed limit or else...
I don't agree with the law... I think you should be able to overtake safely and quickly... we all know the longer your out there the more chance of a mishap. :
Old 30-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Like the time I drove in a spirited manner past a few cars once, 4WD flies up beside me and the person driving was waving a police officer badge at me. I pulled off onto another road and kept driving.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 30-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
If they didn't issue a ticket on the spot, then you won't get one.
Not entirely correct. Could be different for other states, But I have been issued with my fair share of tickets and received them in the mail 3 weeks later. Common practice in my town.

And yes, a police officers "estimation" is admissable evidence in court.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
Old 30-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he wasn't in a police vehicle with either a radar or a checked and calibrated speedo, any ticket he issues will be thrown out of court.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You didn't get a ticket, relax. The cop is just annoyed you overtook him.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
james22
With da Warlords

He stated that he was being recorded. To me that sounds like a On-duty cop. He never said anything about a personal / private car... How about unmarked?

Will wait for further details from OP....

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
Old 30-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

I once had a police officer (who I think was driving home from work) driving an old bombed looking Magna and he was doing about 3km/h under the limit, so I over took him, but I did so by getting into 2nd gear and hammering it (not knowing it was a police officer) and when I passed him, my partner told me that the man in the magna was holding up a badge that looked like a coppa badge. I told her to ignore him, and not look at him again...

We kept driving and he just turned off onto another street and nothing happened. I guess he was just ****ed off at how I overtook him (because people going 3-5km/h lower than the speed limit just crack me, I don't know why).

If you didn't get a ticket on the spot, you are in the clear. And when he said he has a witness to testify, that is 100% B.S

You are all good mate.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

not sure hey mate, a few years ago, i was being hounded by one of the HWP guys, and he calls me up and says:

"i saw you speeding through town 2 weeks ago and you will get a fine in the mail"

"2 weeks, why you take so long to do something about it, IF it happened?" i asked

"i was on holidays and was in my wifes car waiting at the lights and saw you doing approx 80 in a 60 zone"

thats the gist of it, i fought it the whole way and i was as i was at work the time he claimed he saw me, the final judgement was, he was a senior "something something" and was qualified in their eyes to correctly assess my actions and the fine stood.

I couldnt believe he could apparently judge my speed sitting there in his wifes Barina and for it to hold up in court.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
brad`
The Monty

police can not pull over or question a driver whilst with a civilion even if its an off duty officer, just as if they dont have a video of ur car speeding or a photo with a speed on it, not alot they can do.

word of a police is good but not good enuff.

brad`

Old 30-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #17
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
not sure hey mate, a few years ago, i was being hounded by one of the HWP guys, and he calls me up and says:

"i saw you speeding through town 2 weeks ago and you will get a fine in the mail"

"2 weeks, why you take so long to do something about it, IF it happened?" i asked

"i was on holidays and was in my wifes car waiting at the lights and saw you doing approx 80 in a 60 zone"

thats the gist of it, i fought it the whole way and i was as i was at work the time he claimed he saw me, the final judgement was, he was a senior "something something" and was qualified in their eyes to correctly assess my actions and the fine stood.

I couldnt believe he could apparently judge my speed sitting there in his wifes Barina and for it to hold up in court.
If you took it to court, why didn't your representative fight for proof? I'm not even a lawyer, but I know that I would have stated innocent, until there was sufficient proof that it was specifically me driving that specific car, at that specific rate.

Who ever you got to represent you is a complete dumb (you know what). I don't believe you actually had to cop that fine. Find a better lawyer next time, LOL!
Old 30-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #18
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

sounds like BS, but BS happens.

Check your bible; it say’s - if thou is to fit forced induction via supercharging to a performance car, then it is right and good that this supercharger be heard.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

just love these legal type threads, they all contain some incorrect information and then they end the same way.

do a search and you will see similar questions, comments.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 30-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hasn't this type of thread been done to death, try a search, there are heaps of this type of complaint. All the bush lawyers come out with their 2 cents worth.
Sorry for the rant but geez, you've admitted you were speeding and don't know by how much, so he's got you nailed.
good luck either way.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all who beleive that a ticket won't be in the mail if one wasn't issued at the time of the offence are very wrong, I know this as I have been on the receiving end of this process.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I love these threads, but not nearly as much as I love internet lawyers.

So much misinformation....
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Closed Thread